Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Illegal to sell/import Tokyo Hy-Power HL-50B to Un  (Read 4591 times)
OREGONNEWBIE

Ignore
« on: November 16, 2003, 03:40:45 PM »

I was looking at the HL-50B amp to add to my "want list" of QRP gear.  The 7 people who posted reviews on eham.net all gave it a 5.  However, in searching for a dealer, I came across two websites that really bothered me.  The first site was a news site for amateur radios (didn't write down url), which said Tokyo Hy-Power will no longer market to the U.S. due to unfavorable Yen/Dollar exchange rates.  The other website said that it is actually now ILLEGAL to import the HL-50B into the U.S., or to sell it IN the U.S.  

Is there any hope that American Hams will again have access to this product?
OREGONNEWBIE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2003, 03:50:51 PM »

I forgot to ask, since the HL-50B is apparently no longer available to Hams in the U.S., what other good QRP amps are out there?
AC7WL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2003, 07:28:23 PM »

How do you figure it is illegal?  I just bought one, shipped to the US it came to $300.00...  I would recommend you contact info@thp.co.jp (ask for Nobuki).  Arrived 4 days later.  I believe you are allowed to purchase (build/buy?) 1 amplifier per year (I'm no expert on this, and would have to do the research...) for your own use.  If you are purchasing from the individual above, that could be considered a ham to ham sale as well...  It's a great little amp, and Tokyo Hi Power has AWESOME customer service.  Recommend you send them an e-mail detailing what you would like.  I consider the FCC rules on this the lamest thing I have ever seen, as most cb'ers who want to blast 9000 watts into the ionosphere just buy ham equipment, modify it for out of band operation, and buy an amplifier...
AC7WL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2003, 07:35:39 PM »

One more thing, there is a company out of Italy which makes amps (I forget the name, but a quick search would probably give you the answer...) but these amps have no bandpass filtering for the different ham bands.  I would HIGHLY recommend you DO NOT BUY one of these!!!  Short of building your own (communications concepts, hf pack, what have you...), the HL-50B has the necessary filtering in place, I use mine on PSK31 and have often been complimented on the purity of my signal (although I was only using it at 25 watts...).  Voice reports are excellent as well.  If you do buy this amp, go to www.w4rt.com for the 817 (if that is the rig you are using...) to get the accessory cable connector as rf keying is sometimes a pain in the backside...  This amplifier comes with an RG-58 jumper cable (imagine that!), as well as the appropriate connectors for the rear of the amplifier so you can build cables for ALC, keying, etc.  If you are interested in building your own, you will find that the cost of the HL-50B is very competitive to a homebrew project due to buying bandpass filters, etc.  You will not go wrong with this amp, it is simply awesome, and the quality of construction will leave you highly pleased with your purchase!!!
WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2003, 05:20:43 PM »

Ten-Tec used to sell their model 405 amplifier before
the FCC rules were changed to prohibit it.  (Basically
to prevent amplifiers in CB service, it is illegal to
sell or import any amplifier that can work in the upper
HF bands that requires less than 50 watts drive power.)

I used to have a 405, and still see them around, though
the prices asked indicate they are in short supply.
K7VO

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2003, 05:31:05 PM »

It is legal to use an HL-50B that is in the country.  The violation of FCC rules is the act of importation.  As a practical matter this isn't enforced for individual hams importing a quantity of one.  

Many U.S. hams have imported the HL-50B.  You write Tokyo Hy-Power for a quote (the price varies with the exchange rate), give them a credit card number or send a money order, and a week later the amp shows up at your door via  Global Express Mail Service (EMS).  It couldn't be easier.  Construction of these little amps is first class.

If you have doubts or questions I would recommend joining the Tokyo Hy-Power reflector on Yahoo! Groups.  Info is at http://www.mizuhoradio.com/personal/k7vo/thp  There are lots of hams on the reflector (mailing list) who can share their experience with ordering from THP.  Purchasing information is detailed on the website as well.

Caity
K7VO
NY2LJ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2003, 12:36:05 AM »

I believe that it is illegal to buy one of these amps new because they are not FCC Type Accepted. They are RF Keyed, require drive under 50 watts, etc.

You can buy one used or modified from another Ham or through a dealer that obtained it from a Ham. The prohibition about building or modifying only one external RF amp per year is noted in FCC part 97.315(a).

You might want to read 97.315(b)(3)(ii). A simple modification (such as the resistor change THP describes for use with 5 watt drive) can be done by the licensee and this might satisfy the regulation as far as operation at the licensee's station is concerned. I am not an attorney and while I'm not sure, this seems to be what the regulation allows.

In any event they are fine amplifiers and if you can satisfy the regs (mine is modified) they are worth the expense.

72 (and 73 once in a while)
Lonnie
NY2LJ

K7VO

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2004, 01:10:21 PM »

One more comment:  I have a Tokyo Hy-Power HL-750, which is a 6, 15, and 40 meter amp (also works on 20m without spurious emissions), 2-3W in for about 60W out.  Nobody has ever hassled me about it and I am very open about the fact that I run one when QRP just doesn't quite get through.  I have made numerous inquiries and from what I can tell the FCC has no onjections to my using it.

Now, if I tried to import 1,000 of these and sell them I expect the FCC would have a very different attitude towards me even though this amp cannot be used on 11m.

The HL-50B is no more illegal than my HL-750 to use.
K2YQ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2004, 05:46:16 PM »

Mint HL-50B at acution on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3075663885&category=48700
KL7IPV

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2004, 01:07:00 AM »

Well, that one is gone. But there are other amps listed and can be seen just by searching for "amplifier". Some are for VHF or UHF and others for 10/12 meter bands and some for HF bands and imported from Italy. They are still listed as far as I know. I was checking them out looking for an amp so I could run a 1 watt software defined Flex radio with them for use when not portable or HF Packing.
Frank
KL7IPV
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: