Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: QRP CW transceivers in an "Altoids" tin.  (Read 9261 times)
KC0ODY

Ignore
« on: July 09, 2003, 07:39:26 PM »

Hi!

I am interested in building a 20 or 40 meter CW QRP kit. My only experience with kits was to build a shortwave receiver, which I was able to do with no problem (and it even works).

A friend of mine recently purchased a QRP kit at Dayton. It's a 40 meter CW transceiver that he fit into an Altoids mints tin. He told me which company made the kit and now, for the life of me, I can't recall the name of the company that sells this kit. My friend is not reachable right now, otherwise I'd ask him.

Anyone know the name of the company who makes this kit? And if you do and have built one, would you recommend them for a relative beginner to kitbuilding? Seems to me there were a few toroids to wind-- even though I've not done that before, I can't imagine it will be too difficult with a little practice.

Thanks QRPers,

Jackie
KG4YOL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2003, 06:42:51 AM »

There are several good companies that I know of that sell kits.  Small Wonder Labs could be the company that you are looking for.  Ten Tec makes a great QRP rig, but it is a bit larger than Altoids tin.
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2003, 09:36:48 AM »

Yes, Dave Benson/Small Wonder Labs is the outfit you're looking for.  The rig is called the Rock Mite and is available for 40 or 20 meters.  I put mine together during a lunch hour and it fired up right out of the chute, about 700mW on a gel cell.  Have yet to make a QSO with it though, when 40 is open the competition drowns you out, and being rockbound all you can do is keep calling and hope.  Still a fun little rig though, and a pretty decent receiver considering the parts count.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
k5lxp@arrl.net
AD6WL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2003, 12:57:34 PM »

There are two radios that I am familiar with that fit into an Altoids tin.  

One is the Kanga FOXX-3.  This radio is easy to make and looks cool but it doesn’t have a very good receiver.  The board is shaped to fit right into the Altoids tin.

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/1181

The other is the Rockmite.  A little more difficult to make but still easy and has a better receiver.  The Rockmite comes in 20 and 40 meter kits.

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/2547
AD6WL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2003, 01:06:09 PM »

I forgot to mention that the KANGA FOXX-3 has the toroids that you have to wind.  I believe there are three of them.  The Rockmite doesn’t have any toroids to wind.  Both radios are within the capabilities of a beginning kit builder.  
KC0ODY

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2003, 09:51:13 AM »

Hey, thanks folks. I think I'm going to go with the Rock Mite. Looks like a fun little project.
K8AG

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2004, 05:10:07 PM »

Hi Jackie,

For what its worth, the Pixie II is a kit you can get from a company called Halted Specialties.  It costs about $10, but you need to get connectors switches crystal and of course Altoids tin.  These are a step simpler than the Rockmite, and really test one's ability to operate.  They have 3 active components.  My record is 2200 miles per watt so far.

Gud luck with the Rockmite.  Those are really nice radios.

JP, K8AG
KC8TRL

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2012, 12:11:46 PM »

To All I would like to build a SSB QRP rig that fits in the Altoids mints tin this a project that I would love to do can anyone help me out
WB6THE

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2012, 12:58:13 PM »

Another transceiver kit that will fit in an Altoids can is the
Hendrix DC-40 Deluxe.      www.qrpkits.com/dc40.html

Alan
WB6THE
WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2012, 04:15:29 PM »

Here is a DSB voice transceiver that you might be able to squeeze into an
Altoids tin:

http://www.qrp.pops.net/willy.asp

And another:

http://www.qrp.pops.net/Idaho.asp

There are some others around, but I don't know of circuit boards available
for them.
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2012, 09:04:11 PM »

Another transceiver kit that will fit in an Altoids can is the
Hendrix DC-40 Deluxe.      www.qrpkits.com/dc40.html
Alan
WB6THE
The DC40 was retired on Feb. 12, 2007
It has been replaced by the improved design DC40B.
http://www.qrpkits.com/dcxxb.html
Nice "Board and Parts Only" proect for only $30!  Grin
73, Ken  AD6KA
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2012, 03:36:49 AM »

The Rockmites are "cute" and can be fun for a little while but you're not going to be able to do much with them.  It's fun when you do make a contact with one because of the nature of what they are but they aren't a practical home or field rig.

KD1JV had a series of ATS transcievers that fit in altoids tins.  I don't think he's actively producing kits anymore but they turn up used.  For their size, they're tough to beat for features and performance.

I'm not aware of any altoids-sized SSB QRP rig.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: