Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is 5 watts too challenging for a newbie???  (Read 3434 times)
K7VO

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2004, 06:53:26 PM »

Hi, Ann,

My elmer was an inveterate QRPer.  He didn't understand why anyone would want a rig that put out more than 5W CW or 10W SSB.  The net result is that I started in this hobby as a QRPer just as you are thinking of doing.  Don't let the naysayers talk you out of it.  I learned good operating skills VERY quickly because of my "limited" power.

Oh, my first rig was a Kenwood TS-660, 10W max on 6, 10, 12, and 15 meters, at the BOTTOM of the sunspot cycle.  Plenty of Es openings and midday weekend F-layer 15 meter openings kept me making contacts on the bands people claim you should steer away from when the cycle is in decline.  FWIW, I have a TS-660 again Smiley

The Yaesu FT-817 is a PERFECT rig to start with because it is so incredibly flexible.  Portable, base, mobile... it will let you figure out what's for you because it does it all.  If 5W isn't enough you can always add an amp (i.e.: a Tokyo Hy-Power HL-100BDX or HL-50B) later to give it a boost.  The FT-817 will let you explore various facets of the hobby with ease.

Finally, the "man of the house" isn't a ham.  I eventually did talk him into a small tower, fanned dipoles for HF, and small beams for 6m, 2m, and 70cm.  Find a way to convince him it's worthwhile and doesn't have to be an eyesore.  Those who have stressed the importance of a good antenna couldn't have it more right.

Oh, and for portable ops, consider throwing a dipole in the trees.  It's the cheapest and often best solution.  I do that and tune with a Mizuho KX-QRP manual antenna tuner.  I prefer a small manual tuner because it doesn't consume any power.

Good luck, and welcome to ham radio!

Caity
K7VO
VE2EQL

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2004, 06:09:01 PM »

Ann,

I have the FT817, the IC703, the SW20 from small wonder labs. They all work great, and I have no problems making contacts. BTW, remind your  husband, that there are a lot of guys, who would love if their YL had Antenna farms. Good Luck. John VE2EQL
VE2EQL

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2004, 06:18:05 PM »

Ann,

Also check out www.amqrp.org  Also do a search for Lobstercon 2004, its a QRP conference in Bath Maine in July 9th. to the 10th. Its near the water, its camping, eating lobsters, and having a great time with about 100 QRP'ers. This is also an event that wifes or husbands that are not hams get involved. For the web site, check out www.wulfden.org and look for Lobstercon after the NVQS (Northern Vermont QRP Society) which you are welcome to join. Its Free. If you have other questions, you can email me at jgrow@sympatico.ca
John VE2EQL
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: