Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ham Radio Outlet--Portland  (Read 4971 times)
KF7CR

Ignore
« on: April 02, 2003, 08:01:04 PM »

After looking at used Astron power supplies on E-bay, I decided to spend a few more dollars and get a new one with meters and warrenty.  I called HRO in Portland,as they are only 100 miles away.  The sales person was nice, took time with me to discuss this purchase as well as possible other purchases.  No pressure, just good attitude and service orientation. They offered a fair price and free shipping.  They sent it ordinary UPS, it was at my front door by noon the next day!  I'm happy as a clam.
WV7R

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2003, 04:53:56 PM »

I must agree. Ham Radio Outlet - Portland is an out-standing store to deal with. Even when they are clearly being pressed by in-store customers, they take the time to talk with you on the telephone about your concerns with a prospective purchase.

Here in Seattle, we no longer have a "candy store". If we want to actually touch the merchandise and push the buttons, we have to drive three hours South to do it. HRO is worth the trip.  
AB7DJ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2003, 11:27:25 PM »

LIVNG ACROSS THE RIVER FROM PORTLAND IN WASH., I HAVE FREQUENTED HRO ON SEVERAL OCCASIONS OVER THE YEARS AND HAVE ALWAYS GOTTEN EXCELLENT SERVICE.
NT7S

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2003, 09:12:32 PM »

I can't say that I would agree with everyone else's assessment after the experience that I had today.  I went up there to buy a IC-718 and was told that they would have to order one from another store.  Because I didn't have anyplace arranged to ship to (I live in an apartment), that didn't sound like it would work.  I asked them if they were out of stock, and the salesperson said that they had two in the back in boxes ready to go on display at SEAPAC.  I asked him to get me one since I didn't have a place they could ship to.  He said that he could not do it.  He offered to have it shipped to the Portland store where I could pick it up later.  I told him that would not work because I am usually at work during HRO's business hours, not to mention that I live 50 miles away.    I asked him again to just get me one from the stockroom and he refused because, in his words, the boxes weren't labeled and he didn't know which one the rig was in.  At this point I had had it and I left.

I've seen more motivation to satisfy the customer come out of a fast food restauraunt.  I was going to drop down $600 onto the counter but they lost the sale because they (or the salesperson at least) were not motivated to search in some boxes for a few minutes.  He did not ask the manager or anyone else for assistance, he just stood firm in his insistance that he would not get me one from their stock.

I'm witholding my final judgement on the store pending a talk with the store manager (whom I have not yet been able to contact).  I do have to say that this was probably the most infuriating retail experience that I've had in a long time.  HRO, get some employees on your staff that have people skills, for God's sake!
K7SON

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2012, 10:57:55 AM »

I have been to the Portland HRO many times and I am always treated well. The staff has good knowledge and experience and takes time to answer questions but will also leave you alone if you just want to kick tires or twiddle knobs. Leon even brought a few minor items up to me at the recent M&K swap meet ot save me a trip in to the store on my next visit to Portland (2.5 hours south). Great folks...K
K7KB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 09:08:52 AM »

I've never had any problems with HRO Portland and they have always treated me well. I've had some major purchases (US Tower TX-472) and a lot of miscellaneous items ordered without a hitch. The only time I did have an issue (missing connector in a order), they had it to me the next day. A thumbs up from me Smiley

John K7KB
WB8VLC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 12:42:17 PM »

Ditto on Portland HRO and also good remarks to Phoenix HRO also, both have excellent service.

I ordered an antenna phasing box and Portland HRO didn't have it but they found one in Phoenix and I Had it in a day, the same yesterday for a new 6 meter beam that I ordered, it was on the doorstep and assembled and on the air in 1 day.

Excellent service and no extra charge for all my ridiculous questions and requests and best of all is that they let me turn the knobs, switch the switches and droole over the radios, even if I can't afford them, when I'm actually in the stores.

Mike
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2012, 01:11:35 PM »

NT7S: I don't find that so unreasonable. He had everything packed and ready to go and you expect him to unpack it all searching for a transceiver. I don't know how many boxes or how big they were but it could have taken several hours to unpack things and then repack them all again. Lets say he had been unboxing things for an hour and you got tired of waiting and left. And if he found the $600 radio what is his profit? $100 maybe. Just trying to look at the other guy's point of view.  Cheesy
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2012, 04:33:11 PM »

I can't say that I would agree with everyone else's assessment after the experience that I had today.  I went up there to buy a IC-718 and was told that they would have to order one from another store.  Because I didn't have anyplace arranged to ship to (I live in an apartment), that didn't sound like it would work.  I asked them if they were out of stock, and the salesperson said that they had two in the back in boxes ready to go on display at SEAPAC.  I asked him to get me one since I didn't have a place they could ship to.  I'm witholding my final judgement on the store pending a talk with the store manager (whom I have not yet been able to contact).  I do have to say that this was probably the most infuriating retail experience that I've had in a long time.  HRO, get some employees on your staff that have people skills, for God's sake!

I mean come on, if they have them packed to send out to a convention do you really expect them to remove one from the shipment?  If I owned HRO and it ended up that we got to a convention only to find out that a staff member had removed items for our display inventory that would be grounds for dismissing the person involved.  At my YL's business she gets people making down payments on expensive gift items so that she will hold them.  She gets people in all the time that try to bribe the sales people to sell that "Last one" to them. She laid down the Law when this happened once and now they know if the item is missing they might be out of a Job.

KA5IPF

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2012, 07:47:45 AM »

The only thing I see wrong is the sales mans answer. It should have been "We don't have any in stock for sale" That should have been the end of that discussion.

As for your shipping problem. Can you send it to your work place? How about "hold at the ups/fedex facility? US Mail "pick up at post office". Lots of possibilities.

Clif
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: