Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: B&W AP-10A for QRP  (Read 676 times)
N5WBI

Ignore
« on: June 24, 2004, 01:20:40 PM »

I'm thinking about putting together a portable setup for my QRP radios.  I've used a 20M end-fed dipole antenna before, but that requires a pole or tree as a support.  I may or may not have a support to use, so I'm looking for self-supporting antennas and don't want to shell out the big bucks for a Buddipole or its equivalent.  I have an older B&W AP-10 antenna (the old one with removable single-band coils).  In the past, though, it's been extremely annoying to have to take down the entire antenna just to change a coil.  Ugh!  The newer AP-10A has a single coil with a "wander lead" -- sounds much better!  The company offers just the coil for owners of the original AP-10 (and it's in my ballpark price, too!).  Does anybody out there have experience in using the AP-10A as a QRP antenna?

Steve N5WBI
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2004, 07:13:02 PM »

I've never used the AP-10 series but I've used similar antennas. First, like any physically short antenna they are quite inefficient as compared to a full sized dipole. Secondly they are very dependent on whatever you can provide for a counterpoise which for most temporary hotel installations is barely adaquate. So, you add an inefficient antenna to a low power signal and you generally have a difficult time. The bottom line is that how well it works (or doesn't) is going to be very dependent on your particular installation.

An antenna like the BuddiPole is much more efficient. It is about 15 feet long and it doesn't depend on a ground plane. I've had really good luck with it all the way down to 40M, even at 10-feet off the ground.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2004, 07:16:30 PM »

You might also want to consider a pair of Hamsticks configured as a dipole. Much less expensive than a Buddipole for a single band. It works as well as a Budipole but doesn't break down as small for transport and of course you need a separate pair for each band you want to operate.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: