Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yaesu 1500m ommission  (Read 509 times)
K2DLT

Ignore
« on: March 07, 2003, 09:01:52 AM »

Buyer Beware. These words seem rather apropos to me after I just received my Yaesu 1500m vhf radio. It seems like the harder the radio companies compact theses radios the harder it is for Hams to operate them.
Here’s my tale of woe. Upon attempting to program the rig I noticed that the unit was stuck primarily on the amateur section (144-148) even though the manual says the coverage for the receive of the unit is 138 –158. The more I searched the manual to find out what I had done the more despondent I became. Seems I had inadvertently pressed the d/mr  button on power up (d/mr with the power button). Nowhere in the owners manual is there a sentence on this item. Hours after pulling my hair out by the roots (which for me at my age is getting rather difficult) I started hitting keys hoping to make the little rig give me back my band spread. Lo and behold I pressed the d/mr button and the power switch and to my surprise the unit refreshed the band spread as per the manuals specs (138-158). Yaesu manual writers seemed to have missed including this feature in their manual. Lucky for me I happened to hit the right keys or the rig might have been sent back for repairs. Wouldn’t you think that a company might want it’s users to have a complete manual of  “ALL” the transceivers capabilities?? Yaesu you missed one.

Update.. after e-mailing Yaesu.. They told me that the radios are made for export to various countries and that.. due to the fact that some countries do not allow the extended receive frequencies they do not print the fix as mentioned above.
K8LEA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2003, 12:41:25 AM »

Kind of a dumb response on Yaesu's part....

I've got a 1500M too - nothing serious, but several minor issues:

1.  The mic feels really cheap.

2.  No DCS support.  I use it for a scanner too, and the local PD has a couple of channels set up that way. It'd be nice to have them stay quiet when not in use.

3.  The mount is a little "different"....  Mine ended up on a sort of "saddle" that sits on the tranny hump, so it really doesn't matter, but I wonder how they expect you to mount that thing without a solid 3" x 5" sort of mounting space.

4.  Scan lock-up time is very slow.  A single-channel receiver (with PL) tends to open it's squelch about a half-second before the 1500M stops and opens up.  In Ham Radio, that's barely relevant, I guess, but when monitoring Public Service communications, it can be a long interval.

But when you look at what I paid for it v.s. the breadbox-sized Brimstone144 (ca. 1975) or the old Icom IC-28H (circa 1987), I'm going ot keep my trap shut....

Stu.
K1WCC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2003, 06:43:46 AM »

I have had one of these as my mobile 2m. radio for about 2 years now. It has never given me a problem and I use it at 50 watts often and for long periods. Also, it was cheap. However, like most Yaesu radios, the programming is overly complicated. Someday, I'm going to bring it inside, do a hard reset and set up the frequencies I really want in it rather than the hodgepodge I have now! Be nice if this was software-programmable-I don't think it is.

K1WCC
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2003, 09:09:48 PM »

I love my ft-1500 and have used it for a couple years with out a problem. I like the unique mount, and  I usually velcro to my Power supply fixed use, and velcro it into a pocket in the dash for mobile.. good job guys...tom N6AJR
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: