Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FT-817 Cat CT-62 cable problem.  (Read 1178 times)
VK2TXB

Ignore
« on: May 08, 2005, 10:19:48 AM »

Hi all,
I picked up the CAT CT-62 cable to use my 817 with my laptop PC. It is a HP XP laptop and the connection plug on the cable does not correspond with ANY plugs on my laptop! Is this normal or are there different cable ends available and I just got the wrong one? The connection plug on the cable almost looks like it for an older PC ie Windows 95 etc. Is there an adapter plug I can purchase that will marry my laptop to my 817? Helppppppp!!!
Cheers
Andrew
VK2TXB
KB9YNB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2005, 09:48:20 AM »

What you've got there is a new-fangled laptop that does not have a serial port!  

You will need to purchase a USB/Serial adapter.

They are available from several vendors.

KB9YNB
VK2TXB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2005, 02:48:31 AM »

Okay,
I got the serial to USB adapter, and it still does not work, it says it cannot find Comm 3 port on the programme, there is no option to have a USB port, only comm 3??. So do I need to get an adapter to go from the Cat-62 plug to the bigger size plug on back of PC, the one you would use for say a printer (if it wan't a USB connection printer). Any help would be greatly appreciated as someone must have had this problem besides me.
Cheers
Andrew
VK2TXB
VK2TXB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2005, 10:01:00 PM »

Hello again,
It was the XP system itself, it put its own drivers on the serial link connection, so I installed the supplied disc and it works!! Even though they say XP does it all, sometimes it gets it wrong!
Cheers
Andrew
VK2TXB
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: