Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MFJ HF Whip Antennas, OK/Awful?  (Read 834 times)
KA2JIZ

Ignore
« on: July 10, 2005, 07:07:58 AM »

I know there isn't too much respect for MFJ products out there, but I wonder if anyone has used the line of whip antennas they sell specifically marketed to the FT817 user. Just noticed them on the MFJ site. Still not quite sure if the FT817 is the rig I will purchase but am looking for info on those whips.
Thanks\KA2JIZ
K7VO

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2005, 08:29:00 AM »

The MFJ product is poorly made.  You would be much better off with comparable products by Maldol or Tokyo Hy-Power.

Caity
K7VO/8
W3JJH

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2005, 07:48:00 AM »

I've been very UNhappy with the performance of any of the portable whips aimed at the 817 market.  A small antennas means small performance.  I've had the least worst results using Outbacker antennas mounted on the Alpha-Delta stand.  When camping, I'll often use an Outbacker Outreach along with the stand.  The disassembled antenna isn't much bigger than a fly rod, but the folded stand's a bit bulky.  If I'm back packing, I stick with wire antennas.
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2005, 06:48:35 AM »

I don't care who makes it, a 5-foot long HF whip is going to be severely limited on HF.  Putting 5W into a 5% efficient antenna is insult to injury.  Just about any wire antenna along with a tuner (SGC, LDG, Elecraft, et al) will work much better and not cost a whole lot more.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
N5EAT

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2005, 10:29:27 AM »

I have the multi-band MFJ antenna - the ATX walkabout equivalent.  It actually works really well.  I've made lots of contacts with this antenna, including some DX contacts.  I'd buy it again.
K7VO

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2005, 09:54:30 AM »

W5JJH & K3LXP:

My experience is that the various whips work very poorly without a counterpoise but actually quite well with a counterpoise cut to length.  Yes, you look a little silly trailing a wire but it does work.  I use the Tokyo Hy-Power HT-750 and various Mizuho HF HTs this way (2-3W out) and I do get out.

I agree that the Outbacker or even a Hamstick on the Alpha Delta Outpost tripod works extremely well, but it's awfully hard to hike with that Smiley  The whip/coil combinations really are for true pedestrian mobile.

72/73,
Caity
K7VO/8
WA5ZNU

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2005, 04:05:43 PM »

The Maldol ones unscrew but the MFJ/ATX monobanders (at least the 30m one I have) doesn't.  The Maldol 20 seems to be resonant above 15 Mhz, according to a test I did in the TimeWave booth at Pacificon with their new antenna analyzer.  I clipped a foot of bus wire on top of it and it still was pretty high, but I use it only with my KX1 which can add inductance anyway.  The trailing wire or wires is critical.
WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2005, 03:31:11 PM »

The resonant frequency of the antenna will depend on the
length of the radial wire.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: