Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The FT817 and Bhi internal dsp  (Read 1078 times)
G8KHS

Ignore
« on: November 22, 2006, 03:05:46 AM »

Hi,
I'm really pleased with my FT817 but would like other owners opinions on the internal retrofit bhi dsp unit performance.

At the moment I use a datong FL3 on cw & ssb, which does help quite well when needed.
I use an external high capacity cell when out portable.

My questions are:

1. How well does it work?
2. What other noise filter products have you compared it with?
3.My preference is with an outboard filter for flexibility, what's your opinion?
4.Do you have any other comments that may be helpful?

Thank you kindly for reading this,

73, John G8KHS

W9GOC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2006, 05:27:45 AM »

The BHI internal DSP for the FT-817 is a fine implementation; I've had mine since shortly after they became available in the US through W4RT.

I'd say it is more flexible (with the 4 levels) than the Am-Com external DSP/speaker, but the Am-Com is well adjusted by default for many things.  My impression is that the Am-Com is about the same as the BHI somewhere between level 2 and level 3.

It seems far more effective than the Radio Shack external DSP and about as effective as the internal AF DSP in the FT-897.

The big advantage of the BHI over the SGC internal add-on DSP is the elegant implementation (that doesn't encroach on the battery compartment).

External multi-knob AF DSP units will give you more ultimate flexibility, but the BHI gives you adjustable DSP without increasing the form factor of the FT-817.

W4RT has audio samples for your review, but as a G-Lander I'd link you'd get better value fitting the genuine BHI rather than the W4RT version wearing the Gap 'Hear-It' label.
   Frederick
   W9GOC
HA5RXZ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2006, 08:54:20 AM »

I have one of the BHI boards but I'm using it in a homebrew rig rather than an 817. It's great. Budapest is a very noisy electrical environment and the DSP board makes the difference between struggling to copy a signal and near perfect reception.

Please note that the BHI unit is designed to work on speech signals only. When used on CW the results can be variable.

HA5RXZ
G0VHT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2006, 12:53:48 PM »

Hi,

I have owned an FT817nd with the BHI DSP option built in for a while now. I have combined it with the Yaesu internal 2.3Khz collins filter. This combination really works A1. I found settings No2 or 3 work best for me with the audio noticably cleaner and more pleasant to listen to.

Not only is it great on SSB but also very useful on VHF/UHF ham bands using FM (try it out on one of the FM LEO sats, it makes a world of difference with the squelch off).

The unit does not work well with Broadcast FM stations but there again, it's not meant to!

In summary, well worth every penny (or cent for our American friends) with no extra bits floating around when out and about using portable - buy one if you can.

Regards

Paul - G0VHT
G8KHS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2007, 02:57:00 AM »

Thanks guys, your information is extremely helpful, I'm looking forward to trying one out in the near future.

73, John G8KHS
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: