Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yaesu 817 Power Supply  (Read 1112 times)
M3SSZ

Ignore
« on: July 09, 2006, 10:33:32 AM »

Now then - does anybody know whether the mains charger supplied with Yaesu's 817 can also be used to power the radio?

Its just that i've seen one offered for sale 2nd hand with the charger described as such and wondered whether or not the guy was telling porkies (thats 'lies' in the uk!)

Cheers,
Swizz...
NS6Y_

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2006, 03:05:20 PM »

No, these radios will not work just off the batt charger - that goes for the handhelds, QRP radios like the 817 etc.

An Astron RS-10 ought to be great for your 817, but since the 817's a low power rig any decent small power supply should work fine. Just stay away from the junky CB units etc, life is too short for cheap power supplies!
KB7DZR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2006, 06:38:44 PM »

I am a new FT-817nd owner and its been a very fun radio. I have only had it 2 weeks now and have filled 2 pages in my log book with contacts one in Poland. So 5 watts works fine into my end fed wire.

The included charger will only do that, it says in the manual that the radio must stay off and it will not power it. I found a great power supply and it seems to work very well and the price not all that bad. It meets all the needs of the 817 just fine and will charge the on board battery at the same time your running it.

http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/item/PS-1231/480/12_VDC_3.5_AMP_POWER_SUPPLY_.html

Hope that helps.
M3SSZ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2006, 02:51:49 AM »

Cheers guys!
K8YSV

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2007, 07:47:41 AM »

I just purchased an 817ND over the weekend and it works just fine off of the included charger, albeit on recieve only. There's not nearly enough amperage for TX.

What my manual says is that the charger will power the radio, but will not charge the battery unless the radio is turned off. In fact, I've run it in receive mode all weekend on just the wall charger and it's worked fine.

73 K8YSV
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: