Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FT897 for use in QRP  (Read 1221 times)
K1ARR

Ignore
« on: October 11, 2007, 09:36:13 AM »

Can the FT897 be powered down to use for QRP operation?  I am looking at operating QRP and would like to know if my FT897 can be used for QRP.  
KI6CDF

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2007, 10:10:02 AM »

Yes, without a doubt it can be powered down.  I own an FT-897 and actively use it.

There is a menu choice RF Power that runs from 1 to 100.  I do not know how precise it is but I've used it to power down when I run psk31.  

Also, if you use the internal re-chargeable batteries it powers down automatically with battery use, I think to 20w.

I think it would be a great QRP rig particularly in the field.

Tom
KI6CDF
W2RDD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2007, 08:20:44 PM »

Just about any 100 watt rig can be reduced to an "official" 5-watt QRP level. So take your pick of rigs.

The thing is, the temptation to goose up the output may be overwhelming when conditions are less than ideal...as they now are. Depends on how devoted to the QRP philosophy you are.

I made the decision to restrict myself to transceivers that will provide no more than 5 watts output.  

Thus, the Yaesu FT-817ND (mine). If you choose to construct, several kits come to mind, such as the OHR series. I have had QSOs with OHR ops and the rig sounds great.

N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2007, 06:48:16 PM »

"I think it would be a great QRP rig particularly in the field.
"

I don't think it's a good choice.  It draws at least 4A on transmit no matter what... so it's not ideal.  That's 55 watts DC draw.

So, at 5W, about 9% of that power goes to RF.  Dedicated 5W rigs probably do more like 50% draw to RF minimum, probably more for those with Class C RF amps.

It's a good field rig but not necessarily a good QRP field rig.  

Dan

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
K8AG

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2007, 02:31:51 PM »

Receive current is high compared even to the FT817 which is also high with respect to most rigs.

If 12V power may be an issue, you might want to look for something using CW and maybe a KX1.

73, JP, K8AG

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: