Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any reason for me not to buy an FT817ND?  (Read 1610 times)
N4KZ

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2007, 06:39:26 AM »

Just like an earlier poster said, I too have owned 3 of the FT-817s. I bought an early version but sold it. Immediately regretted it and bought another. Sold it and regretted it. Now, I have purchased my third and vow not to part with it.

Far from being the perfect radio for a lot of reasons, it's still a unique product in many ways and a lot of fun to use.

I'm blessed to have good antennas at home and have used the rig to work some nice DX from 6 meters all the way down to 80 meters. I've done QRP off and on for 35 years and still find myself amazed with the radio's many capabilities. I have even run it mobile and worked several DX stations in Europe, South America and even Africa.

73, Dave, N4KZ
M0MJH

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2007, 02:20:33 AM »

Well, I picked up my new FT-817ND yesterday. It's all charged up and ready to go, I've just got to get my head around setting all the menus out (not too bad as I own an FT857 as well).

My mates are going to wonder what has happened to me; I'm usually the one running 100w or so or taking part in contest stations where we're running 400w and big ol' beams, and now I've gone and bought a QRP rig! Cheesy hehe.

Oh well, I've brought the rig into work with me, so, when I get a break, I can have a trawl through the manual.

Mark
M0MJH
N4MJG

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2007, 05:01:15 PM »

i have brought one since march 17,2007 it not that old yet.i took my to up big hills to check out 2 meter now it works,now just needed to check HF as soon i get my buddipole builted. !!!

Jackie
KG4ORX
WEBSITE http://webpages.charter.net/kg4orx/
G3XBM

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2007, 06:22:07 AM »

Go ahead and buy the best little radio on the market. I've had mine since 2001 and enjoyed using it greatly. Working worldwide handheld DX is such a thrill and I've even managed to work across the Atlantic on 6m sporadic-E last summer with just a small vertical antenna! It is perfect for local ragchews on 2m AM/FM and does a good job as a receiver on the new 501kHz LF band. If I had to sell all the ham gear I have and keep just one rig it would be my little FT817. In over 40 years in the hobby it has been the best purchase I've ever made.

73s
Roger
http://www.g3xbm.co.uk
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: