Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: recommendation for 12 v. battery for FT-817  (Read 1660 times)
K3PI

Ignore
« on: February 16, 2008, 09:02:29 AM »

Hello,

I would like to get a battery that is fairly easily transported to use for portable expeditions.  I am looking for something that has a handle, comes with a charger, DC power (cigarette lighter) jack and hopefully 7-8 Ah or higher.  I have bought a couple of these in the past with not so great results.  Don't seem to last long

Wonder what brands/models are out there now that people here might suggest.

Thanks & 73
Russ K3Pi
KC0NRO

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 10:28:46 AM »

Russ,
I'd like to hear some "veteran" 817 users input on this as well.  I just got my 817 last week and absoultely adore this rig.  I have been running it off of 8 2500mAh AA batteries...it works, but I, too, would like to have a power solution that I could haul with me and have greater capacity.  I know the Power Port Store makes several options that would foot the bill, but they seem a little pricey (just my opinion).

73!

JOHN, KC0NRO
W3JJH

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 12:22:38 PM »

I've been using a 17 Ah automotive jump start battery that I bought at WalMart.  It came with a wall-wart trickle charger for under 80 bucks.  In the field, I keep it charged with a Unisolar 32 W solar array and a small Morningstar charge regulator.  There's enough daylight in the summer to keep the rig running 24/7.  Works great for Field Day.

If you're going to use a jump start battery, buy it from a store such as WalMart or Sears.  They turn their inventories often enough that you shouldn't have to worry about getting a battery that's been sitting uncharged for months on the store shelf.
KB9YUR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2008, 02:50:15 AM »

Please check out the Nomad 300 portable power pack
from www.solarsense.com . I've been using one for
several years with my Yaesu FT-290RII.
N0FPE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2008, 11:42:21 AM »

The best battery would be one that is of the correct voltage and preferrably charged up. Light enough to carry might be a good trait too!

WA5ZNU

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2008, 02:36:27 PM »

9V is better than 12V for the FT-817 as it has an internal regulator to cut the voltage down anyway.

Try one of the 9v LiFeSO4 packs from Batteryspace.

Leigh/WA5ZNU
KI6ADA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2008, 12:03:46 AM »

I have a 12 volt gel cell with 5 amps. It gets me about 4 hours of transmitting 5 watts on SSB and 6 hours of standby. The battery is light and fits in my grab bag with radio and portable antenna.

73, Steve-KI6ADA
KE5OFO

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2008, 08:20:01 AM »

If your not too worried about weaight check out the Xantrex XPower 400R.  http://www.xantrex.com/web/id/177/p/1/pt/30/product.asp

I have one of these and use it frequently with both my 2m/70cm rig and my K2 qrp.  It has a Built-in 400 watt inverter and a Sealed, non-spillable 20 amp-hour AGM battery.  I find it to be quite handy even if it is a bit heavy.  I wouldn't want to take it backpacking but for car camping and genral portable use it is great.

Kerry
KE5OFO
KF6VCI

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2008, 02:11:58 PM »

There are now 3000 and even 3200 mA/h AA batteries available now. You cannot beat those for wight and size. 72 de Chris
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: