Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Use of FT-817 with Radio Mate Keypad, Miracle Whip  (Read 980 times)
SCUBA

Ignore
« on: March 18, 2007, 11:18:01 AM »

This posting probably also belongs in the antenna forum.

Advisory:

If you are using a Yaesu FT-817, the Miracle Whip antenna, and the BHI/W4RT Radio Mate Keypad (intended for the 817, FT-857, and FT-897), you don't want to make the same mistake I did.

The FT-817 Mini-Din 8 jack is located too close to the SO-239 antenna connector to allow the Miracle Whip and the Radio Mate to be used together.  The proximity of the Miracle Whip causes the Radio mate's male Mini-Din 8 connector to bind, or push away at an angle.  This causes Radio Mate's power pin to disconnect, and it could cause damage to other pins.  

Easy Fix:  Extend the Miracle Whip connector further out from the FT-817.  I added a double male PL-259, and a double-female (SO-239) between the Miracle Whip and the FT-817.

Given the popularity of the Miracle Whip, the Radio Mate manufacturer (BHI) should have provided a warning in their owners manual.  Since this may apply to other things plugged into the accessory mini-din 8 port, perhaps the Miracle Whip manufacturer should also provide a warning (that the Miracle Whip partially blocks the mini-din 8 port).

W4RT is aware of the problem; I sent 'em an email yesterday.

Jack

Keywords: Miracle Whip, Radio Mate, BHI, Mini-Din 8, BHI, W4RT, Accessory Connector.
N4MJG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2007, 03:47:42 AM »

that good to know that something wasn't right i just brought me march 17 the same day i pass my general.

Jackie
KG4ORX
WEBSITE http://webpages.charter.net/kg4orx/
SCUBA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2007, 06:28:23 PM »

Hi Jackie,

CONGRATULATIONS on upgrading to Gen. Class!

I think that BHI, the makes of The Radio Mate, should provide a right angle Mini-Din 8 connector instead of the one they provide.  

Jack
M0ATM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2008, 03:18:03 PM »

if the radio mate was fitted with a 90 deg plug this would foul other connectors on some radios
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: