Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How big a battery for IC703  (Read 1259 times)
WK2Y

Ignore
« on: May 21, 2008, 04:18:03 PM »

I have an IC703 and want to operate it off a 12 volt battery in the field.  If I had say a 12v 10Ah gel cell and was operating field day at 5w, realistically ~how much operating time would I get?

Also have any recommendations for a good gel cell charger.

Thanks in advance.

Bob

W3JJH

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2008, 06:07:57 AM »

Your mileage may vary--and it will depend on your transmit duty cycle.  Go the the manual and look up the receive and transmit current requirements.  Average them based on the portion of time that you'll be transmitting.  Divide the Ah rating of the battery by that average current, and you'll get an approximate expected operating time for a battery in good condition.

I charge my field battery pack using a 32 W solar array and a Morningstar solar regulator.  It will provide enough juice to a 17 Ah battery to keep an FT-817 on the air for all of Field Day.
K4AHO

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2008, 06:35:17 AM »

I run a K1 off a 2.5 Amphr battery for 4-6 hours with no problem... I use a Astro Flight inc. Amphr meter inline and am amazed at how little capacity I use...  The 703 uses more current than the K1 but I think the 10 AH will hold you for the weekend.

I strongly recommend the Inline AmpHr meter though. It really helps by giving real time data on battery capacity used.

IMHO, The best battery chargers are from A&A Engineering. They are programed specifically for SLA or Glass Mat batteries. They also can be used with solar cells as a power source.

I am also planning a Solo/QRP effort for Field Day.   I will be using a 7AH battery, with  a 18AH battery as a Backup. I did last year for only 6 hours. It was a blast and a highly educational experience... I liked it so much I now do it at least once a month.

73 and Have fun
Jim K4AHO
KB9YUR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2008, 03:01:11 AM »

Please check out www.solarsense.com . They offer
a portable battery pack called the Nomad 300.
I've been using one for years and it also provides
AC power and can be used with a small 21 watt solar
panel.
WK2Y

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 08:15:50 AM »

Thanks everyone for the useful feedback. Since I only plan to operate for 4 or 5 hours at a session when I'm in the field,  I think what I'm going to do is get two 4 Ah batteries and the 1 Amp charger from A&A Engineering with the option to drop down to .5 amp.    

Thanks again for the info

Bob
W1YB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2008, 11:10:44 AM »

My 703+ runs all afternoon on a single 12v 4ah home alarm system battery. Keep in mind that most operators only transmit 50% of the time or less.

YMMV
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: