Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wilderness SST  (Read 3392 times)
IZ4KBS

Ignore
« on: January 08, 2009, 12:43:05 PM »

Hi,

I would like to get a Wilderness SST kit but I don't know where to order one. I have tried to email qrpbob(at)leapmail.net but that e-mail address seems to be having problems lately. Does anyone have an alternate e-mail contact I can write to to ask for info ? I'm based in Europe. Thank-you in advance for any help.
W8ZNX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 03:03:55 PM »

good luck

don't think they like e mail
they also
do NOT accept credit cards

you can send them a real letter
by real mail
see their mailing address

web site is

www.fix.net/~jparker/wild.html

they are good little radios

yours truly

Mac
IZ4KBS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 12:49:14 AM »

Hmm, you are simply confirming what I had already suspected. Unfortunately this is a lousy way of conducting business nowadays, unless they expect potential customers from overseas to send them a purchase order wrapped around a leg of a carrier pigeon, or possibly sent over CW when propagation conditions allow. After having been trying with more modern means since before Christmas I'll give up, but a negative review is deserved: http://www.eham.net/reviews/review/76861 .
KJ4FUU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 05:06:47 AM »

If the owners of the site had this to be their primary source of income rather than as an expression of their love of the hobby, I might agree that their business model is flawed. I don't know that this is the case, though.

For low-volume operations, credit cards and PayPal have risks, because of the possibility of chargebacks and the difficulty of defending against them.

Yes, if they want to make this a big commercial venture, they will have to take credit cards, but that isn't what they are right now, and maybe never aspire to be.

-- Tom
VE3GNU

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 05:54:45 AM »

Hello IZ4KBS---

I wrote QRPBob at his posted email address about your concern, and he has just emailed me to say that the 'problem' you are having mostly is incurring 'at your end'---
His email address is still the same, and he is open for business as usual.
Send me your email address off line, and I will forward it to him.
Just trying to help.

Ernie (VE3GNU)
IZ4KBS

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 09:33:29 AM »

> If the owners of the site had this to be their
> primary source of income rather than as an expression
> of their love of the hobby, I might agree that their
> business model is flawed. I don't know that this is
> the case, though.
>
> For low-volume operations, credit cards and PayPal
> have risks, because of the possibility of chargebacks
> and the difficulty of defending against them.
>
> Yes, if they want to make this a big commercial
> venture, they will have to take credit cards, but
> that isn't what they are right now, and maybe never
> aspire to be.

Yes, I got the impression that that isn't their primary business. Understandably, taking credit cards directly is a bit more complicated, but, come on, taking PayPal is really ordinary business even for individuals who sell stuff on eBay (me too), so I really think there's no excuse for that. I do hope they will reconsider eventually.
IZ4KBS

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2009, 09:48:25 AM »

> I wrote QRPBob at his posted email address about your
> concern, and he has just emailed me to say that the
> 'problem' you are having mostly is incurring 'at your
> end'---

Believe me, I have tried in many ways, including connecting directly to the SMTP port of their mail server and entering the SMTP dialog by hand, and from several machines I have access to. Their provider either refuses connections (even from large european providers, such as I.Net (a subsidiary of British Telecom), or they accept the connection but once the message is complete they refuse to deliver it with a generic "temporary problem" error message. So, at the very least, the guys at Wilderness Radio will be missing many e-mail messages, so they may want to get their Internet Service Provider (velocitywest.com, according tho a "whois" lookup) to look into it. I'm available for further explanations, if they need them.

> His email address is still the same, and he is open
> for business as usual.
> Send me your email address off line, and I will
> forward it to him.
> Just trying to help.

And I DO appreciate your help very much. Also, I was a bit "harsh", but I get nervous whenever I see people who seem to make communications difficult after 20+ years since the Internet came about. I will definitely take your offer for help, thank you so much. I'll send you an e-mail message in a few minutes.
VE3GNU

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2009, 10:06:39 AM »

IZ4KBS---In the event you cannot access my email address on Eham---this one will get to me direct:
ermarbart@gmail.com
73---Ernie VE3GNU
IZ4KBS

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2009, 10:23:04 AM »

> After having been trying with more modern means since
> before Christmas I'll give up, but a negative review
> is deserved: http://www.eham.net/reviews/review/76861

Apparently the moderator dashed my review off. Ok, no problem, he must have considered it to be in violation of the message board policy. Never mind, but I think that warning users about potential problems related to a product, even not strictly related to the product technical quality itself, may be valuable. If that was allowed, then many "5" scores would probably drop significantly.
N2DTS

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2009, 12:20:41 PM »

They do take pay pal, you just have to add the 5% that pay pal sucks out, which is not much.
I just bought a Sierra using pay pal, and I dont think wilderness radio is a for profit orginization, although the kits are not dirt cheap, I am sure the parts add up to almost the total cost, and not many would want to spend all that time picking, packing, and counting zillions of parts for the small amount of profit left over!

Brett
N2DTS
IZ4KBS

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2009, 12:35:06 PM »

> They do take pay pal, you just have to add the 5%
> that pay pal sucks out, which is not much.

*That* is good news! Thank-you. If I'll ever manage to get in touch with them, then at least the payment issues would be cleared.

TU es 73 de IZ4KBS
W8ZNX

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2009, 02:00:21 AM »

own a retail business
find your mind set truly amazing

you tryed to post a negative review
about a company

that you have not done any business with
and
have not used their product

but
you tryed to post a
negative review

man don't that burn the baked beans

hope somebody warns
Wilderness Radio
to not sell you anything

customers like you
no business wants

mac
ps stay away from my book store

IZ4KBS

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2009, 03:22:24 AM »

> own a retail business
> find your mind set truly amazing

If you had taken the trouble to revise the thread from the beginning before posting, you would have been less amazed. Yourself wrote:

> don't think they like e mail
> they also
> do NOT accept credit cards

Which contributed to enforcing my negative impression on what I considered to be a disturbingly bad attitude to communications on the part of Wilderness Radio. Other went a different route and offered to help, and that worked out. Soon after I admitted I had been a bit harsh, and after having assessed that the communications problems were due to Wilderness' Internet Service Provider broken mail server I would have been the first to express public apologies and to write a positive review to compensate.

> customers like you
> no business wants
>
> mac
> ps stay away from my book store

Don't worry.
IZ4KBS

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2009, 04:28:18 AM »

Oh, and I missed this one of yours:

> you tryed to post a negative review about a company
> that you have not done any business with and have
> not used their product

For one, my review was neither rude nor unpolite, and not even harsh. The reason why it was removed is (according to eHam's FAQ) that you are allowed only to talk about products, not companies or their customer service. So it would probably have been removed even if it had been a positive review *of a company*. In fact, many posters talk about products and then smuggle comments on the associated companies through the same post, but that seems to be more tolerated.
KJ4FUU

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2009, 06:42:50 AM »

Before you continue to tout PayPal as being so easy to use, have you ever had to defend yourself against a chargeback from a user who claimed that the item never arrived, or wasn't as expected?

Most of the horror stories I've heard have been from sellers, not buyers.

In any case, since they seem to take PayPal, I guess all is well (unless PayPal finds out about them charging the 5%, which I thought was against the rules, but things may have changed).

-- Tom
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: