Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Pixie 2" transceiver - Problems ?  (Read 2222 times)
KA6KBC

Ignore
« on: March 16, 2009, 04:28:23 PM »

Hi,

I'm hoping someone might have some input for me.    I built a Pixie 2 kit awhile back, but have not gotten it on the air yet.   I checked it out and the Power output is good (0.5 Watts with a new battery) and the Receiver sensitivity is good (seeing around - 100 dBm).  

However - After attempting to put it on the air yesterday I noted a problem - After pressing then releasing the Key to transmit the Receiver breaks into a loud audio oscillation into the headphones.   If I press and release the Key it goes away for awhile, but soon starts up again.   I checked everything I could think of any ideas ?

73's - Bill - KA6KBC
KA6KBC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 01:18:05 PM »

Hi All,

I reviewed a few older posts and think I found the issue.    I was using a Carbon Zinc 9V Cell and now moved to an Alkaline Cell.    The Oscillation is gone,
But I need to test more tonight.

by WB6BYU on August 23, 2008

“…In my published circuit using the LM386 I had to specify the use of an Alkaline 9V battery rather than carbon-zinc due to the need for a low resistance DC supply to keep it from oscillating…”

http://www.eham.net/forums/Elmers/193277

73’s – Bill – KA6KBC
KB9BVN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2009, 03:35:20 AM »

Hi Bill,

Have you made any Pixie contacts yet?  I built mine for 40m and one for 80, Manhattan style.  They are no match for a FT1000 <grin> but I get a huge kick out of making a  QSO with them.  What are you using for the PA? I have been using metal 2N2222's but I am only getting about 220 mW out. I may build one with a socket for the PA, crystal, and filter...so I can experiment some.

KA6KBC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2009, 12:49:08 PM »

Hi Brian,

No QSO's yet - Still trying.   Mine is 40M - Band has not been great, but still hoping.   I get close to 0.5 W with a new 9V Cell and Cherry Picked Transistors.  

I just ordered a Rock-Mite to play with, but have not given up on the Pixie.    I have about 3 Wks for the new rig.

73's - Bill - KA6KBC

http://www.myhamshack.com/KA6KBC/
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: