Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wilderness radio sierra  (Read 1021 times)
N2DTS

Ignore
« on: January 07, 2009, 06:15:17 AM »

I ordered a Sierra, and while waiting for it to arrive, I was wondering how it compairs to other rigs on receive.
Anyone know?
Is it noisy, some rigs generate a lot of hiss from the ic chips.
How does the audio derived agc work, the K1 was annoying on headphones, even after changes to speed up the agc response.

Thanks for any info,
Brett
N2DTS
W8ZNX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 02:55:12 PM »

Hello Brett

can't help with info about
the Sierra but ops seem to like the rig
know
i would like to build one

re white noise / hiss in kit qrp rigs
you are right
can be pain in the " blank "

found it's worse when using
quality hifi cans

my Sony cans are great for music
simply horrid for ham use

if you have not yet
used / tryed communication audio headphones
they can be quite helpfull
knocking down the hiss

also ive played with used some
audio filters to narrow down the
audio range

yours truly
mac

VE3GNU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 09:10:30 AM »

I suggest you check out Eham Reviews under QRP radios. As of this date, there are 23 reviews on this fine rig.
N2DTS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 12:12:35 PM »

I read all the reviews, which were not very good reviews, lots about building the kit, which is like most other kits, Elecraft does the best job with the manuals, wilderness radio could use some help with their manuals, but its easy to build, even with less then perfect manuals.

Anyway, I got my kit yesterday and its built, along with the 80 and 40 meter band modules, so I will be able to review it once I get it set up and tested.

I learned just how fat my fingers have gotten, and how poor my vision is....

I was thinking about building another K2, it was fun, but I dont think I will do it in 3 days like the last one...

Brett
N2DTS

W6EOD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 08:51:08 AM »

I have a Sierra.  I would say that it is not a noisy rig.  It is enjoyable to use.  I also have a FT-817ND and it is more noisy.  Don't know if that comparison helps any so take it for what its worth.

Steve
W6EOD
N0XE

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 03:05:39 PM »

It is an excellent little radio, I have had three of them at one time over the years, make sure it is aligned right and you will have no complaints, the QSK is super smooth , it has very low current draw on both Tx and RX and is very small. It does  not have the full features of the K-1 but has a very quiet receiver and if a signal is there it will hear it. It is also very easy to use and no menus to fool with, the optional Keyer and display unit works beautifully and plenty of features on that to get the job done. It use to be that Qrp Bob would also repair all his kits for a set rate, supply parts if needed and even give advice on fixing any problem, his rates were super  resonable, I am not sure that is still the case , you would have to double check. Good luck and enjoy the radio, 73 Jim N0XE
OK1RP

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2009, 03:36:08 PM »

Hi Brett,
Maybe it is too late and you have Sierra in shack but i am pretty sure that you will be surprised how receiver works!
Its very quiet receiver and if you will make little noise mods it will be hard to beat this radio!
Join our Sierra group on yahoogroup.com.
Best 73 - petr, ok1rp
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: