The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Par End-Fedz 10/20/40  (Read 151617 times)
AE6RF

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2009, 02:51:23 PM »

I *have* used the Par End-Fedz 10/20/40 and the End-Fedz 40.

My subjective results is that they work significantly better than my Appalachian Trail dipole and my homebrew 88' doublet when tuned with a ZM-2 tuner.

My results were that the 10/20/40 works slightly better on 40m than 20m and the 40m single works "really well."

Using a IC-703+ I receive "good signal for a /p station" about 1/4th the time.

Absolutely worthless input, but they've become my "go to" antennas.

72 de Donald

IZ4KBS

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2009, 03:20:37 PM »

== My subjective results is that they work significantly better than my Appalachian Trail dipole and my homebrew 88' doublet when tuned with a ZM-2 tuner ==

That's interesting.

== Absolutely worthless input, but they've become my "go to" antennas ==

Well, I think that real "reports from the field", albeit subjective, can in fact be quite useful.

For instance, End-fed half-wave wires are supposed to cause significant RF in the shack unless a large counterpoise is provided. Many state that the counterpoise of antennas like the EF-10/20/40 is in fact the coaxial feedline to the rig, and that is certainly the case. In spite of that, I find very convenient to connect the EF transmatch directly to the PL female connector of the rig, with a male/male adapter, so with no feedline at all. In this way setting up the EF is a real snap. As a matter of fact, at 5 watts I have no detectable RF on the rig case, and the antenna seems to work just as fine. It may be that the rig case provides enough of a counterpoise, I don't know, but it works, and it makes for an extremely convenient /p setup.
KC2PLJ

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2009, 08:14:15 PM »

Yes, The subjective reports from the field are what I listen to. Hype has it's place and this antenna is a great performer in my book. Just today I threw it up into a small pine outside and placed my FT-817 and 10' of coax to the antenna. I worked 18 stations on 20 and 40 in less than 2 hours with 5 watts SSB and many with just 1/2 a watt!!! Needless to say the thing works and I don' really care how it achieves this. Some may argue that it is a compromise antenna and others may say that the antenna is JUST A SIMPLE END-FED, this is not the case at all, check the reviews. 5/5 on every single one!! A very hard thing to do with a bunch of tech savvy folks that are more than happy to pick apart a product and find it's worst qualities just so they can moan about it on E-ham. That being said I will use mine every time I am portable, no need for a tuner and counterpoises just throw it into a tree and have a pile of contacts waiting for you. By now you get that I am recommending the antenna to you as I have tried it and it works and works well plain and simple. Take Care Mike KC2PLJ
WS4E

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2009, 08:01:55 PM »

Used my 10/20/40 today on 20m to get into Europe easy with my 5watts FT-817.

KC0PNH

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2009, 07:24:24 AM »

Hey guys, (need to update my call...now W0EA) I was also looking at these antennas.  I have one of the MFJ-971 qrp portable tuners and I was wondering if I got a 1/2 wave wire and hooked it up (and tuned appropriately) if I'd have about the same luck as you are having?  I would think that it's the same deal, just with a more efficient tuner?
W0EA

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2009, 07:37:12 AM »

Ahh thats better... Standing by for info!
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2009, 08:33:53 AM »

A half-wave wire is a half-wave wire. Hams have been working DX with a half-wave of wire for many years now. Your MFJ tuner feeding a half-wave wire will work the same as the PAR if its installed the same. It might even work a bit better if you provide a better counterpoise.

W0EA

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2009, 10:57:50 AM »

Well I just cut my 67' wire using enamel coated stuff - Do you guys have a convenient way of storing such a long length?  This is going to get crazy tangled, I just know it!  I suppose using a more flexible wire with some PVC coating would make it easier but I used what I had.  Any tips?
IZ4KBS

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2009, 11:41:31 AM »

I use PolyStealth 26 wire (http://www.therfc.com/antenna.htm) and a yo-yo tenna housing to reel it up (http://www.hamradiofun.com/yo-yo-tenna.htm). The #26 wire is possibly a bit lossy because of the small gauge,
but it takes very little room and that particular type is quite strong, both the wire and the coating.
WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2009, 02:45:25 PM »

Look in the camping section of Wal-Mart for a "camping
clothesline".  This appears to be the same reel as used
in the "Yo-Yo" antenna for just a couple dollars.  

After having awful trouble with kinks when using magnet
wire for backpacking antennas, I now use stranded, insulated
hookup wire.  Works much better - my dipole kit is 30 years
old and still works fine.  

Best way I've found to roll up the wire is in a figure-of-8
between your thumb and little finger across your palm.
Make sure that the wire crosses each time - if you just
go in a circle it puts a twist in the wire, but with the
figure-of-8 it doesn't add any twist.  It is quick to
wind up 70' of wire, pull it off your fingers, wrap the
end around the middle a few times, then pass a bight
though the hole (where your thumb was), fold it over
the top of the hank and pull it tight.  Stays in a neat
bundle all by itself, and you can tie the end to an
insulator and still unwind the wire.  In fact, if you
unwind the wraps around the middle and pull out the
center wire it should come out clean with virtually
no tangling to the full wire length.

Sort of hard to describe, but once you learn it it goes
very quickly and you can do it in the dark.  My HF dipole
kit has wires for the 5 pre-WARC bands plus coax and
rope in a small belt pouch, with enough extra room for
my microphone or even a set of wires for 160m.

If you want a dedicated tuner for a half wave antenna
you just need an "L" network or a parallel-tuned circuit.
I've found that, once adjusted with the wire is a nominal
position I don't have to readjust the tuner when I put
it up the next time, even if it isn't exactly the same.
So you can use screwdriver adjust trimmer capacitors
and add/remove turns from the coil, then put it in a
small plastic box and not bother with it afterwards.

Or just make a J-pole for the band in question - works
about the same.
PD4M

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2009, 11:47:57 PM »

On the Dutch website (use google translate for translation) http://www.pa3eke.nl/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=35:hy-end-fed-antenna&catid=5:antenne&Itemid=12
you can see the clone of de End Fedz antenna they have come up with. They have made a new dimension of the coil for higher power.
Regards

Maarten
PD4M
AK2B

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2009, 10:43:42 AM »

Dale is a very friendly helpful guy. Why don't you simply ask him? He will probably tell you all that you want to know and a whole lot more.
parinc1@verizon.net
IZ4KBS

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2009, 01:57:22 PM »

== On the Dutch website (use google translate for translation) http://www.pa3eke.nl/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=35:hy-end-fed-antenna&catid=5:antenne&Itemid=12
you can see the clone of de End Fedz antenna they have come up with ==

Hmm, that's interesting, thanks for the link.
IZ4KBS

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2009, 02:23:50 PM »

== Dale is a very friendly helpful guy. Why don't you simply ask him? He will probably tell you all that you want to know and a whole lot more ==

Well, indeed Dale is a very helpful person, and in fact I did ask him a few questions about his End-Fedz wires. Currently, with summer holidays approaching, I am more interested in QRP/portable operations and I have come up with what I believe to be a good solution. I'm using Dale's EF-10/20/40, but instead of using the companion matchbox I use this QRP tuner: http://www.qrpkits.com/sltplus.html . The tuner gives more flexibility for approx. the same size/weight of the EF matchbox. When I hang the wire from a tree, a kite or other provisional support, the pre-adjusted SWR of the antenna changes, sometimes for the better, more often for the worse. The tuner can compensate for those differences, and it also allows the wire to be used on more bands than those it is cut for, provided you fit a suitable counterpoise. If the wire is used on those bands were it is an electrical halfwave then no counterpoise -- or very little -- is necessary (providing some never hurts though). The 40m loading coil of the EF-10/20/40 makes the antenna only 40' long, which is more convenient than a full 40m halfwave wire when you have to slingshot it into a tree or hook it to a kite in the wind. The shortening isn't too severe to negatively affect TX performance, in fact it makes for a better multi-band wire (a vertical full halfwave on 40m isn't an awfully good DXer on 20m, as Dale himself says in his End-Fedz FAQ page). And a somewhat shortened antenna also happens to be a bit more quiet on RX, which is another desirable side-effect.
WB4TJH

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2009, 12:11:59 PM »

I have ben using my Par Endz Fed qrp antenna for several years and it works well. When I got it, I trimmed it for best SWR, but in use I do keep a tuner in line because SWR can change, depending on how/where the antenna is hung. I also have a halfwave wire precut for 17 meters that I can hook on after disconnecting the factory multiband wire, and it works very well also. I have hung this antenna from a telescoping pole and had the feed end right at saltwater on the beach and gotten very fine signal reports from Europe running 10 to 20 watts ssb. I usually use my MFJ 971 or my Kenwood AT-130 antenna tuners in line with a 3 foot coax from the rig to the tuner, and a 21 foot coax run to the feed end of the antenna. Hung vertically in a tree, it's a killer antenna on DX with an obviously very low angle of radiaton. The 40 meter section can also be shortened by wrapping the wire against itself and it works fine on 30 meeters also. It's the easiest to use QRP antenna I have used, and it runs rings around those short dummy-loads-on-a-stick portable verticals a lot of people use. With a telescoping painter's pole as a support, I can go just about anywhere and be set up in 10 minutes or less. If I can hear them, I can usually work them.
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: