Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RM Italy amps with 817  (Read 15845 times)
VK2TXB

Ignore
« on: March 19, 2005, 11:04:26 AM »

Hello there,
Just wondering if the KL amps from RM Italy will work with my 817? Some posts say they only cover 26-30 mhz, but others say different?I want at least 10-20 metre coverage of amp. Can anyone help me on this as I want to get an amp for when I need a little bit more power. I know about Tokyo Hy Power amps, but they are a bit pricey AND a pain to find locally.
Cheers
Andrew
VK2TXB
K7VO

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2005, 08:24:43 PM »

With Tokyo Hy-Power amps you get a superbly built product made specifically for the ham radio market which meets any and all spectral purity standards.  With RM Italia KL series amps you are buying something which is targeted, at least in the US, at the outlaw high power CB market.  That, to me, speaks volumes.

I think the Tokyo Hy-Power amps are well worth the money.  I won't have the RM Italia because I can't trust them.  Can't find THP locally?  Order factory direct.  Their customer service is first class.

72/73,
Caity
K7VO/8
VK2TXB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2005, 03:23:25 AM »

Thanks for that info,
I will look into a Tokyo amp here. Didn't know RM Italy they were big in the CB arena over there, I found their website a little while back and they looked interesting.
Cheers
Andrew
VK2TXB
VK3ZMF

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2005, 12:29:25 AM »

Hiya,

I don't know about the RM Italy KL series amps but I use an HLA-150 with my FT-817 and apart from a birdy around 14.224 it goes like a bought one...:-)

Ooroo
Mark F...
VK3ZMF
CEF-358

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2005, 07:40:51 AM »

Yes they will, I use both the KLV (tube) 350 and the KL (solid state) units.  

If you will Email me, I will explain the easy method of obtaining one.

john-harbaugh@earthlink.net
K5MO

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2005, 04:36:43 AM »

Actually, the HLA series amps are very nice amateur amps, with autosensened bandswitching (yes, they're filtered, not broadband CB junk), overload protection, T/R switching time adjustable, etc.

Nice amps.

They also make junk CB amps, but the HLA line is quite nice. I get over 120W out from my K2 on CW

John K5MO
K3RWM

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2005, 11:20:32 AM »

The Elecraft-list contains a 12Oct04 from Durham Radio indicting that these are not type approved for North America. Has this changed? Does it matter?
Thanks 7 73,
KG4YUP/Railey
K1TWH

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2005, 04:00:42 PM »

Andrew,  
.     I have and use a KL-203 with my FT-817.  I found that 30-40W was its filtered output.  It goes from 10-30MHz unmodified.  I can get 40M at 25W with a 100pF cap across the input to the FET amplifier section.  I found that a combination of ferrite beads on the leads of the 100pF cap kept the input SWR down on the 10-30MHz range.  You can not put this amp on any band (ethically) without applying the proper output filtering.  Many, Many spurs about -20 to -30dB from the reference output.  I built a little box containing low pass filters from kits made available by CCI   (http://www.communication-concepts.com).  My entire amp project was about $120 (USD).  73 from USA.  Tom Howey  WB1FPA
-=============-
FP5CJ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2005, 10:34:10 AM »

Can someone  tell me quickly which model of RF power transistor  amplifier runs inside the KL 203?
thnks
JP
FP5CJ
KB5DBR

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2006, 11:06:05 AM »

Where does the jumper go?? Pins 1&2 or 2&3??

Joe - KB5DBR
SCUBA

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2007, 04:15:36 PM »

Hi Tom,

What were your experiences using the KL-203 on 15, 12, 10 meters prior to building the low-pass filters, insofar as any inappropriate transmissions to adjacent frequencies (if any) or any harmonic interference with anything around?  

The filters described on the CCI website look great; did you "combine" filter kits for multiple bands, and if so how did you do that?  My inclination would be to build one per desired band and hook it to the linear output when the time comes to use it.  

Are the filters necessary for all bands that the KL-203 covers?  If not, which bands require low pass filters?

Does the KL-203 affect FT-817 receiver performance in any way?  

Thanks much for your most informative message.  I have one on order, it should arrive in however long it takes for customs to inspect it.  

Cheers
K1TWH

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2007, 01:38:59 PM »

._.The KL-203 was one of the most harmonic rich amplifiers I've ever measured.  Although it is a push-pull amp, even the second harmonics were of concern, being less than -30 dBc at many frequencies. Low Pass filters capable of surpressing the 2nd and higher
harmonics would be required to properly operate the KL-203 here in USA.
._.The CCI lowpass kit PCB's were pretty easy to assemble and easily mounted into a aluminium box.  I used a Radio Shack 6 position 2 pole switch to select the correct outputs.  One unused position grounds the input and output for a little summer time static protection and another unused position bypasses the low pass filters (6M and up without the amp).  For 30,20, 17, 15, 12, and 10M operation, you would only need the 20M and 10M low pass filters.  If 40M operation is desired, then a third LPF from CCI for 40M is needed.  The amp will work on 40M, but the FT-817 will need a matching network to resolve the high SWR at the input of the KL-203 on that band.  Any spare 5W ATU can do the job.  I believe if you place a 680pF cap across the input transformer primary on 7MHz the input SWR is pretty low.  On 80M the cap was 2200pF.  I mounted a small SPDT (center-off) toggle switch on the front panel to switch these caps.   There was a 150pF cap in series with the output transformer secondary that I had to replace with a 1000pF cap to allow 80/40M operation.
._.No impact was noted to the receive performance even though the low-pass filters would be inline on receive as well as transmit, but then the local power company generates so much AC line noise here in NH that my opinion on the receiver impact should not be valued very highly.
                73,  Tom Howey  WB1FPA
OH5FED

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2008, 04:46:49 AM »

RM, Zetagi, CTE, etc. CB linear manufacturers uses OEM power transistors (marked as RM3, MS1307, MPS1307), ordered from International Rectifier or some other semiconductor producer who makes switching FET's.
Those are remarked existing MOSFET transistor IRF520, that has been around for quite some time... Smiley

73's de Samuli, OH5FED
HAMBO

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2009, 03:13:59 PM »

They come from Italy with no jumpers on the block. I assume that this is the setting that you want.  They put a jumper on pins 1 & 2 to make it work on 11 meters.
HAMBO

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2009, 11:53:36 AM »

CORRECTION:
The jumper goes on pins 1 & 2 of the service block for all bands. 10-80 meters. These amplifiers sound ok on 10 - 40 if you keep the input power low. 5 to 7 watts maximum. Mine does a little over 400 watts on 20 meters with a DX-70. May not be FCC certified and all of that,but for $179.00,watt per dollar,you can't beat them.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: