Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Portable 2m all mode rigs with battery packs  (Read 1146 times)
N9ZRZ

Ignore
« on: October 14, 2009, 09:44:00 AM »

I am considering picking up a portable rig that has it's own power supply (internal/external battery pack) that also covers the 2m band.  Any suggestions?  Seen any used for sale at an "entry level" price?
KB9YUR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2009, 01:43:16 AM »

Please consider the Yaesu FT-290 and FT-290RII. I see them for sale in the used market and it can be used as a base,mobile and portable radio. I've had one for several
years now and its a fun radio.

George ...
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 01:59:27 PM »

Since this is in the QRP forum, if you are looking for a self-contained portable all-mode 2m rig I'd reccomend the Yaesu FT-817. Small, portable, and has an internal battery pack for AA's (or you can plug in an external battery, if you like). Also in roughly the same size box is the FT-857, FT-897 or the Icom IC-7000 - but those all require an external battery and are 100W rigs. All of these radios are all mode HF + 6 + 2 + 440.
W5CEM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2009, 08:09:12 PM »

I second the FT817 recommendation.  Will run 2.5 watts with the AA pack, but will allow larger packs velcroed to the radio or externally.  Good audio reports on transmit and a sufficiently good receiver.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: