The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Selecting A Remote Site  (Read 1078 times)
WA9AFM

Ignore
« on: September 26, 2016, 07:33:35 AM »

For folks who had to go remote due to CC&R's or other restrictions, how and where did you select your remote site? 

The XYL and I will be 'downsizing' in about six months (this coming spring).  The gated community we are looking has no antenna restrictions, but there is just no space for a decent HF antenna.

I've concluded putting a remote station at another ham's location would likely result in mutual interference.  Thus, I'm looking for 'non-ham' locations.  We have a possible location with a next door neighbor who has about 5 acres of unused property; our daughter lives in Norman, OK, about 20 miles south of us, but her backyard has a very heavy stand of trees.  Any other suggestions for a locations are welcome.
WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2016, 08:23:34 PM »

Consider the logistics:

1. Security of your gear from potential thieves
2. High speed internet that is reliable (digital cable minimum, fiber optic preferred)
3. Adequate power and ventilation
4. 24 hour access, or close to it
5. Within driving distance, or someone you trust can get access and help you when you need it

Those types of logistics are paramount, and outweigh the location factors.

Regarding location choice:
Are you interested in just wires?  That would be the location with trees
Which location has less noise?
Are you interested in a tower?
Do you want to do VHF?  Stay away from trees.

How long will the 5 acres going to be un-used?  "Never do business with friends or family"
Will you pay the neighbor to use his property?
How long will your daughter be at her Norman OK location

I have read a lot regarding hams who installed large arrays in non-residential sections of cities and towns.  The noise can be higher, but without anyone to tell you what you can/cannot do...it has advantages...internet, plenty of power, etc.

WA9AFM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2016, 07:20:45 AM »

Mark,

Thanks for your response.  A couple of high points.....

I'll be using a vertical and make it as basic an installation as possible; all VHF/UHF ops will be at the new location; no problem with installing a dual band antenna there. 

The neighbor's property can't be developed as it is totally surrounded by other private development and has no street access.  He bought the tract to specifically prevent development behind his home.

Longevity for the daughter's and neighbor's location is no problem.  They have both declared their current homes to be the 'final fox hole' (at least for now).

Noise at the daughter's location might be a problem as she is located near the center of town.  I would do a noise survey of any potential site.  Noise at my current locations is nil.

Already talked with my neighbor; he has no problem with power, equipment placement, or Internet access, but I would still make the offer to chip in something.  A 'hold harmless' agreement would be needed to assure him any unlikely damage to the antenna wouldn't be assigned to him.

Either location is good for power (both have standby gensets), Internet, access and security.

Still looking at other options.

WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2016, 08:27:38 AM »

Is budget an issue?  How much?  If you're going vertical, go with the open land. 

RECEIVING: I would recommend Beverages to start for receive, and if you can afford it...a HiZ receiving array spaced for the low bands (since prop is favoring those in the coming years).  For separate receiving antenna in this scenario, recommend a DX Engineering RTR-1A.  Also, you may want to have an SDR for receive like an SDRPlay unit for under $200.  Then you can monitor it using a simple Linux machine nearby with WebSDR software...and broadcast the packets that will allow you to receive them and control the SDR receiver using a simple web browser!

TRANSMITTING: That leaves the transmit piece; most modern rigs (since 2000) already have remote capability over the internet.  Since you're only transmitting with this rig and not receiving, you just need a way to get audio or digital or CW TO the rig.  RCFOrb has freeware that can do this already.  hen you just need a separate transmit antenna.  An inverted L with remote tuner at base, away from the HiZ receiving array, would do it.  No radials needed for the receiving array, and it's simpler than a transmit/receive four square.  And the inverted L (with radials, of course) can be used on all bands,  That's what I have at my QTH.
WA9AFM

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2016, 10:55:47 AM »

Will likely move my DXEngineering MBVA 43' vertical to the new location lock, stack and radial plate along with LDG RT-600.

TMW
WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2016, 12:05:06 PM »

You have the same setup as me (I have a CG-3000 remote coupler).  Get that thing moved and get transmitting!  Remote tuners are the way to go. 

I have had wonderful success with the antenna on 30 and 40, and it was not too shabby on 20 or 80 either...even though it's not supposed to work too well on those bands.

One other thought - some kind of remote disconnect or arrestor for lightning....since it will be out in the middle of the field.
WA9AFM

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2016, 12:58:39 PM »

The 200w Alpha-Delta arrester goes along, too.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: