Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: W4MQ remote software.  (Read 8895 times)
N6PSE

Ignore
« on: May 26, 2008, 09:31:26 PM »

I saw an amazing remote HF rig control software demonstration at the Visalia International DX Convention.

The software was by W4MQ (www.W4MQ.com) and works well with a number of rigs. The demo was done using a Kenwood TS-480 and a Kenwood TS-2000. I've just purchased a Kenwood TS-480HX (200 watt) as this rig appears to be quite easy to control remotely via Internet or Kenwood's Sky Command.

I am very interested in communicating with others that are exploring this technology. I hope to have my remote HF station live within the next few weeks.

Paul N6PSE
WB6YIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 09:51:53 AM »

Were they selling the software at the convention? Ham Radio Deluxe does the same thing, has been around for years and is free.

The TS-480 and TS-2000 appear to be quite popular, especially with the remote-control crowd. Are you going to install the radio(s) in a remote location or operate them locally?
N6PSE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 10:42:00 AM »

The W4MQ remote software is free as well.

I will be setting up my Kenwood TS480HX at home connected to a WindowsXP laptop, and accessing it at work 18 miles away via the Internet.

My goal is to be able to work some of the DX that I miss working because I am at work so much.... :-)

N6PSE
WB6YIK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 11:06:27 AM »

I checked out the W4MQ web site. I think I looked at this site when I was researching options myself. I gather his software is targeted to Kenwood owners although it appears that it will work with anything.

You must be a business owner or work for a ham! Being able to work DX during the workday is nice. I sometimes do the same thing. My station is in the mountains above Los Angeles (Wrightwood, about 6,500 feet). I live in Stevenson Ranch, near Los Angeles, about 1.25 hours away. I have a regular station there (an FT-1000MP, AL-811A, Cushcraft beams) and a separate Icom 746pro dedicated to remote operation.

Let me know when you're operational and we can try to have a QSO.

Les
N6PSE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 04:59:41 PM »

Well, other than a few attempts from the HF mobile in the parking lot, I haven't done the internet remote yet. No one is stopping me from closing my office door and wading into a pile up during my lunch time.

I need to improve my DSL connection at home, install/configure this software and I should be up and working very soon-I hope!

The demo at Visalia made it look rather simple.

73's N6PSE
WB6YIK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 10:34:11 AM »

Sounds like a good plan. I hope it works out that way. If you close your door, do your coworkers leave you alone?

What is your home network connection speed?
N6PSE

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2008, 02:45:43 PM »

I am upgrading my DSL at home from 700 kbs to 3MB.

At work I share an AT&T DS3 (45mb)

That should work!

Paul N6PSE
WB6YIK

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2008, 11:34:39 AM »

Good luck. Hopefully we can work remote-to-remote someday.
K3EKO

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2008, 12:02:57 AM »

W7DXX has his remote available at www.w7dxx.com  Must submit a donation for access.  Extra funds if you want to use the Alpha 87A amplifier.

Frank K3EKO

N6PSE

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2008, 08:01:38 PM »

Yes, I worked that group when they had YI9DXX up and running from Bagdad. That is what got me excited about remote HF. Can't get a QSL from them for YI9 though....... :-)
N0RF

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2008, 12:59:00 PM »

I have set up two w4mq remote systems using TS2000B rigs.  Is a great combination, works very well, and isn't too hard to figure out the config stuff.  I'm going to remote a TS480SAT in a week or two and see how that goes.
When using the w4mq software, if you set up the remote and client software correctly, the people on the other end, whether they are on vhf/uhf or hf will never know unless you tell them you're on the remote.  You can allow others to access your system using the free client, and you can assign log in info and passwords to keep unwanted people off, you can make it private or not, you can set up times, control StepIR's and various amps and rotors.  
It is amazing stuff, and it is totally free.  If you're at all interested in internet remoting, you have to check this stuff out.
W3TUA

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2009, 10:31:51 AM »

I use the W4MQ software. It is easy to set up and use. Some people prefer a VNC style remote access but I find that technique to be cumbersome, especially when you experience latency issues.

If you need any help setting up the software just email me.

Korey--W3TUA
Dryden, NY
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: