Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How Do I Get TX To Work WIth HRD And FT857D  (Read 4955 times)
KC0NZM

Ignore
« on: December 12, 2009, 11:21:50 AM »

Hello.. looking for help and advice.  Here's what I can do.  I can remote control my FT857D with Ham Radio Deluxe for the control, Logemin.com for the PC to PC connection and Skype for the audio.  It works great if all I want to do is monitor.  However, I want to go the next step and transmit remotely with a standard PC headset on my laptop and that's where I'm totally lost.  

To continue, I bought a serial/usb sound card interface some months ago from a ham radio store that has the two 1/8" jacks on the end (one is labeled "mic input", the other is "speaker out").  It's supposed to let me run PSK31 but it appears I might also use it thru the 857D and HRD to transmit phone as the label on the interface states "sound card interface for PC generated PSK31 and RTTY modes. PTT support on serial port RTS line". It would seem then that I could set this interface to make the 857D route around the radio's mic and instead see audio from my sound card as the transmit audio.. or, am I way off base with that thinking?

HRD does give me a live TX button but when I activate it nothing seems to be going out the radio and tuner.  I've plugged the "mic" and "speaker" end of the plugs into my host PC with every arrangement I can think of with no luck.  I know there are settings within HRD and on the 857D too that I'm probably not observing.

Anyway, if someone can lead me thru or suggest a helpful tip, much appreciated.  By the way, I am able to use the interface successfully to receive PSK31 but again, I can't get the PSK31 transmit going.  

Dale - KC0NZM
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2009, 08:55:46 PM »

Dale,

I think the only mode on the FT-857D that will accept modulation audio from the back panel audio connector when transmit is activated in software is the "DIG" mode. 

Are you using the back panel and are you using DIG as the mode?

"DIG" mode works fine for SSB transmit audio if you set Menu #038 "DIG MODE" to "USER-U" or "USER-L" for USB or LSB respectively.

It's an annoying issue: you can't change "DIG MODE" remotely nor can you change the filter bandwidth remotely, so using the FT-857D with back panel audio over the internet involves remembering to set everything right while sitting at the radio, and you're stuck on one sideband.

I don't remember if there's a way to work around this aside from using the actual mic jack.  It may be that Menu #040 DIG VOX has some effect on this.  I do remember setting up a voice keyer for a VHF contest once and I think I had it so that I could send audio from N1MM logger even though I was in USB mode... though I might have just used DIG, and I don't remember.

HRD does give me a live TX button but when I activate it nothing seems to be going out the radio and tuner

So you get the relay to click over and the red light comes on on the radio?
If so try DIG and it should work.

I think if I get serious about internet remote base before I get a new rig, I'll probably just use the mic jack to get rid of some of these issues.  But for casual playing around, remembering to set "DIG MODE" to USER-<the desired sideband> and setting the IF filter to a SSB one on DIG mode has worked OK.

Dan

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
KC0NZM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2009, 10:14:23 PM »

Dan,
I do appreciate the valuable and detailed info.  I'll play around with the DIG setting and see what I can produce. You wouldn't think trying to get phone over your PC headset to a radio interface would be so difficult but I'm really stumped on this one.  I could by the SignalLink interface I suppose but was hoping the serial/usb interface I already have would work.  Thanks again for the very helpful advice.
'73 Dale - KC0NZM
WB4IUY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2009, 11:15:34 AM »

Hi Dale,

Let me ask a few questions...

1- When you click the [TX] buttom on HRD, does the rig switch to transmit, or does it stay in receive?

2- What com port is your CAT cable connectd to via HRD, and what com port is your audio interface connected to that provides "PTT support on serial port RTS line"?

3- Does your rig accept CAT commands for trnasmit? You may have to look at your rig manual to get that info...

4- Load DM-780, press F8, click the PTT tab, and tell me which option is selected (Com Port, Ham Radio Deluxe, or None).

Dave WB4IUY
N1FCJ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 07:18:23 AM »

I'm having the same problem.  I'm using an FT-2000 with a Signalink USB and a PC in my station providing control via HRD server and audio via Skype.  The audio is passing fine to the transmitter until I launch HRD on the remote laptop.  For some reason, HRD is sealing the mic audio away from Skype.  I verified it was HRD on the remote laptop (not the server/local PC in my station).  I did this by using 2 remote laptops, Laptop 1 to feed the audio via skype and Laptop 2 to control the radio with HRD.  It works fine that way.  The minute I launch HRD on Laptop 1 however, the transmit audio stops working but I can still receive fine and control the rig with HRD.  Does anyone know a way to stop HRD from stealing the transmit audio?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: