Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Glentek RTE Controller - Anyone have one?  (Read 7886 times)
K4SC

Ignore
« on: September 15, 2009, 10:11:54 PM »

I just noticed the Glentek Radio to Ethernet controllers on eBay and am interested to see if anyone has any experience with these.  I did a search on the reviews section but came up empty.  I don't know anything about the company, but they do have a professional looking web site at least.

I live in Arizona and work in San Jose, California during the week and would very much like to operate my K3 from the motel room in the evenings.  The Glentek RTE looks like the missing link that I had really hoped would have been included in the K3, similar to the Ten-Tec Orion VII.  I got really excited while building my K3 and seeing the RJ-45 (ethernet) connector on the bottom of the front panel, but it does nothing for the end user; it's only used to program DSP at factory.

Thanks for any replys.  I think I'd like to try it, but before spending the money, I would like to know what other users have to say about it.

Chuck K4SC  Sun City, AZ / San Jose, CA
K4SC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 10:49:34 PM »

I guess I am the first to get one of these circuit boards.  I ordered it on eBay and it was waiting for me when I returned home last weekend.  I went through some of the software setup, but ran into a snag because the card has a female DB-9 receptacle and all of my many DB-9 serial cables have a male end a and female end; the male end goes into the computer serial card and the female end doesn't match up with the Glentek card.  I went to Radio Shack for a DB-9 Gender Changer DB-9 Male to Male and was shocked to see they wanted 10.99 for it.  I balked and waited until I returned to San Jose on Monday and bought one for 2.99 at Fry's Electronics.

Now I am considering what type of enclosure to mount the card in.  Since it comes in a static free bag, I don't want to keep using it in the open.  Ideally I will mount it into a bud box with a breakout cable for the K3s accessory port.

Hopefully someone else will jump in here and tell of their experiences; otherwise I will add to this as I get it up and operating.
W3DCB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 09:44:48 AM »

Yup...Have 2 Glentek boards (one for my Yaesu FTdx9000D, the RS232 version, and one for an Icom IC-7800, the Icom CIV version).  I have ordered 2 more and I may add even more in the future.  Ethernet-ing is much much more efficient than the old style of remoting where you go through the home computer with all of the USB and serial cables feeding the different radios while using the computer as the remote connection and server.  My one laptop had about 13 cables coming out of the COM/USB ports through USB port expanders to various devices...One USB-serial interface cable for each radio and device that I wanted to conrol...Needless to say, if the computer goes, everything goes and you have no means by which to re-boot the computer from afar.  This is not to mention the troublesome set-up of virtual ports for RigBlasters and CW control, etc., with serial remotes through Ham Radio Deluxe's IP remote software or others, etc.  I am now getting rid of ALL of these cables and putting everything on Ethernet!  Got a "large" 16 port Ethernet Swtitch (have a 22 port one  in storage also just in case).  Requires NO software...just plug it in and you are ready to go!  Your EtherNet is only as large as your EtherNet switch that you buy (They are cheap too).  Setting up and configuring the ports is a breaze with the supplied software.  Remote AND local access through your EtherNet allows you to avoid the computer completely.  I also use "REMOTE" control at home locally throgh the EtherNet too...while lying in bed, my little laptop is used to control my radio station...Boy am I lazy!  Right now, I only use the remote computer for Skype audio/video (video for panoramic displays of the FTdx9000 and IC-7800).  What a pleasure!  The response is quicker and predictable and NOT prone to computer failure.  I am not wealthy.  So, my computers are not the best...4 Meg of RAM at the most and they do not seem to handle that much without failing and needing re-booting upon occaision.  I have not set it up yet, but you can even re-boot your computer remotely without much hassle.  Run a simple line from the computer's ON/Off (Re-Set) Switch and use the board's switching capability with a remote command to re-boot the computer (switch closes for 10 seconds).  I have not finished the set up yet.  It IS a bit on the expensive side if you plan on remoting/EtherNetting a bunch of equuipment...I may use another brand for the RigBlasters as their control is not as critical or as complicated.  There are others out there...For the actual radio control, however, I would stick with Glentek's models.  They have all of the features that you would want to run and control the radio.  Also, Fred has been great!  He puts up with all of my silly questions and he always promptly answers my e-mails.  He consistantly offers to give what ever help is necessary to get them up and running.  He constantly states,, "We will not let you fail!"  Ever have one of those devices that you could not get working that ends up in a drawer for which you could not get adequtate support from the manufacturer?  I do have a few of those...Not here...Fred won't let it happen!  Besides, set up is so easy anyway.  If you plan to remote, It helps to get a permanent IP address which will make your remtoting alot easier.  Checkout NO-IP.  You can register your own IP address which is unchanging.  The software at home monitors your own IP address at home and will send off to the NO-IP-server information when ever your IP address changes such as when you re-set your Modem/DSL Router and your IP address therefore changes.  However, even if you do not plan to remote very much and you just plan on local use of your radios and devices through your computers, EtherNetting is the way to go!  It adds a few dollars to the set-up, but I think that it is worth it in the end for the reliability, convenience, and ease of use -- not to mention not having your computer being teid down to a bunch of cabes to your computer's USB and/or serial ports --  just ONE computer connection --  your EtherNet cable.  No more having to remember which USB port was Port #5 when you plug the cable back into which port was that?
Take care guys!  Enjoy!
Daniel C. Baral
W3DCB
danielbaral@verizon.net
K4SC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 10:10:47 PM »

Thanks for sharing your experience!  I was beginning to wonder if I was the only person who ever bought one Smiley

I wonder if there is a computer-less way to access SKYPE?  I seem to recall seeing some Skype handsets somewhere, but whether they required a computer or not, I do not know.  Are you aware of a Skype phone that would just plug into your LAN?

Chuck K4SC
K4SC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2009, 05:13:13 PM »

I just thought I would post an update on my experience with the GlenTek RTE Ethernet to RS-232 controller and my Elecraft K3.

I finally sat down long enough last evening to put all the pieces together and made a contact on 40 meters using the RTE and dual Skype accounts.  Seemed to work OK.  

Next I have to experiment some more with Ham Radio Deluxe.  I noticed a few glitches in the stock K3 setup.  For example when I tried to change from my wide 13kHz roofing filter to the 2.7kHz filter using the HRD command, it put in my narrowest 400 Hz filter and would never let me change it back.  This would be a deal killer if I had actually been located remotely, instead of operating through my own LAN.

I had a bit of problem when I first tried the RTE when the transmitter keyed up as soon as I applied power.  I dashed off a quick SOS email to GlenTek and had an answer within 15 minutes; this would have been at 8 or 9 p.m. his time.  Turns out I had the settings for RTS and DTS set up incorrectly on the K3; nothing wrong whatesover with the RTE.  I was very very pleased with the rapid, outside business hours response from GlenTek.

Next step is to utilize the remote power on/off feature, so I can turn my K3 on and off from San Jose.

Chuck K4SC  Sun City AZ / San Jose CA
K4SC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2009, 12:18:41 PM »

The saga continues.  I went to no-ip.com and registered for a free DNS update service.  Then I tried setting up my local DSL modem/router (Motorola) to do a pass through (?) and gave it the no-ip.com address, but when I got to San Jose, I got bupkiss.  The problem is the instructions are geared towards someone who knows what the heck they are doing, rather than a complete idiot like me Smiley.

I am flying home tomorrow evening so I will have to try and piggyback onto someone elses WiFi service in the neighborhood and go for some trial and error service.  It works fine on my own LAN, but I've got to be able to access it from the outside world.

If anyone is reading this and would care to Elmer me through the process, I would be most appreciative.

Along that line, has anyone tried working PSK-31 using a SKYPE link for audio?  My laptop seems to decode fine just by hearing the psk signal off the speaker and sensing it through the built in microphone; I was really surprised at that.  Transmitting that way though seems likely to be problematic, but I may give it a shot.

The saga continues.

Chuck K4SC  Sun City AZ / San Jose CA
GW0PPO

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2009, 05:13:01 AM »

Hi Chuck. I have had the same experience as your self. I can get the Glentek to control my FT-920 locally but not via the Net. I to registered with NO-IP but it is all as clear as mud. Have you made any progress your end. 73 Clive GW0PPO
K9SO

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2009, 03:46:24 AM »

You're both trying to jump two fences at the same time. In order to get the internet connection to work, you must first be sure that your router is set up properly.
  Don't add in the confusion of DNS services until you know that you can access by redirecting your COM port to your PUBLIC IP address directly without a DNS server in the loop to confuse you.

You've got it working on your LAN, so there is nothing wrong with the RTE setups. Now it's all in your router setup.

If you don't know your PUBLIC IP, log onto http://www.IPCHICKEN.com

In your router, make sure you have opened up a TCP port for port xxxx requests and direct them to your RTE LOCAL IP address and port xxxx. (xxxx is the port number you have set up on the RTE or the default port number).

When you're on the outside of your LAN looking in, you will redirect your COM port using the Glentek software to your PUBLIC IP and port xxxx. Your router must know what to do with such requests for access. You do that with PORT FORWARDING in the router as I described above.

After you have that working, then and only then should you look into getting a DNS server to work. Doing both at the same time can be daunting.

We can get into this DNS confusion after you pass the first step.
   Just my suggestion ...
K4SC

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2009, 09:11:40 PM »

Success on the internet access using the RTE and Skype.  I finally was able to reach another wireless network on Friday and by trial and error get HRD to run my K3.  I then used my laptop's Skype account to call the shack computer Skype account and talked to some very patient but helpful folk on 75 meters.  As I was sitting at the operating position at the time and wearing a USB computer headset, I could hear the delay in both my transmitter and receiver audio.  It really wasn't bad at all; I guess a tenth to a quarter of a second at most.  I turned on the VOX and had a QSO using it too; probably first time I've used VOX in thirty years cause I don't like it.  But it worked as well as normal VOX does.

Next stage is to get my two K1EL USB WinKeyers talking to each other over the internet connection to enable smooth CW.  In a trial run over my internal LAN, it worked great.  I've also ordered a second SignaLink USB to use on my laptop to try PSK work.

Is anyone else trying this?  I'd love to hear from you.

Chuck K4SC
YO8RSQ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2009, 11:01:53 AM »

Hello !

I wonder if anyone can help me with any sugestions ,why ,when i trie to connect to my ic-7000 via RTE Glentek controller inside LAN and everything set up as described in manual ,and the youtube rte instalations video, i allways receive from HRD,frequency read error !!!!  I mention that in stand bye the red led is lit and when i connect , it turn green ! Does anyone experience something like that Huh Ihave tried,vista,xp,win7 and the same respons from HRD, frequency read error ! The Baud rate is the same, radio adress,etc,i have also trie all combinations ,in the router,but the same response ! I have to say that from time to time,(it happend two time in two weeks) I could  control the radio from via HRD-rte , but then,after i disconnect,i cant connect again  for couple of days ,without modifyng anything ,the same setings! It allways respond with ,frequency display error !I really need a hand,if someone can help me i would really appreciate ! Merry Christmas to all of you ! thank you, yo8rsq
K9SO

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2009, 11:12:50 AM »

The LED function you describe indicates a proper connection to the RTE. You may stop worrying about Windows operating systems.

It sounds like you may simply have an intermittant CI-V cable in between the RTE and the ICOM. Replace and try again.

Otherwise, the RTE is set up for 19,200bps when shipped. You must operate the radio at that speed unless you change the default settings in the RTE. If you try to connect at any other speed you will get the error message you are seeing.

Please contact me at support@glentekcorp.com for further assistance.

Fred
W3DCB

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2010, 09:09:46 AM »

Update on use of the Glentek Boards:  I now use 3 boards to operate 3 different radios via ineternet...was never able to figure out my FT-897.  I am sure that it is a problem in the radio itself and not the Glentek board which works OK with other radios.  So, I use USB via Computer control for that radio only.  I use 2 more GlenTek boards to control a Power-Master Watt Meter and an SPE Expert Linear amp.  I also have a WinRadio Receiver which will be going ethernet with a GlenTek board as well which will be accessible via internet soon.  Only one problem I have found which is related to my cable provider's router, NOT the Glentek board.  Others may be having similar problems...I first noticed it when I could not access one of  my radios remotely and I "pinged" the Glentek board, but it did not answer.  The boards sometimes go "off-line" every once in a while and require "re-boot-ing" by turning the board off and on which I can accomplish via my phone X-10 control system.  I just Turn the 12 VDC power supply off and then on again and the boards re-boot and my router picks them up again.  This is a problem with my Comcast router.  Nothing I can do about this other than buying a better router, but the inconvenience is minimal.  If others out there are having problems in this area, all you need to do is turn off the power in and then turn it back on.  Had the same problem with my Verizon router as well, but not as often as with the Comcast router.  Otherwise, system is VERY reliable.  I have been able to figure out with Fred's help how to remotely reboot my computer using the Glentek board via Ham Radio Deluxe Command Manager function and control my new SPE Expert linear via Ham Radio Deluxe as well.  Take care all...Hope this helps!
Daniel Baral
W3DCB
NZ5E

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2010, 03:30:22 PM »

Any updates from users of the Glentek RTE and/or RTE/FXO?  I emailed the company today for further information, but have not heard back.

I don't understand how latency is reduced by the use of a RTE for rig control.  I would think that the speed of the internet link would primarily determine latency with other factors being far less significant.

Even if latency of rig control is the same, do the other capabilities of the RTE make it the obvious choice?

Is it true that you do not need a CI-V level controller with the RTE?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: