The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Grow house  (Read 1318 times)
KJ6ZOL

Ignore
« on: August 19, 2015, 11:52:57 PM »

Well, the mysterious QRM is back, and I think it's from grow light ballasts. It seems to match what I've read about grow light QRM. I suspect that one of the abandoned houses in my neighborhood is being used to grow marijuana. The timers seem to be "staggered" so that the lights don't come on at the same time every day. I guess there's nothing that can be done. The cops aren't allowed to hunt down weed plantations/grow houses, the FCC doesn't seem to care. Who else is suffering from a grow house, and what are you doing?
K2CMH

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2015, 06:52:00 PM »

I wonder if the owners of the house know?  They could possibly lose their property if they know about it and are complicit by not doing anything about it.  How are they powering the operation?  Are they stealing electricity or using a generator? 
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2015, 07:16:49 AM »

Well, the mysterious QRM is back, and I think it's from grow light ballasts. It seems to match what I've read

It's all just a guess until you track it down.  You're rationalizing giving up by coming up with a conclusion without any evidence.

Who else is suffering from a grow house, and what are you doing?

Every time I tracked down interference it wasn't from a grow house.  Until you track it down, you won't know either.

So is this the interference on 40M you mentioned in an earlier thread or something different?  In general, something really strong is usually also really easy to find.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2015, 07:18:19 AM »

Well, the mysterious QRM is back, and I think it's from grow light ballasts. It seems to match what I've read

It's all just a guess until you track it down.  You're rationalizing giving up by coming up with a conclusion without any evidence.

Every time I tracked down interference it wasn't from a grow house.  Until you track it down, you won't know either.

So is this the interference on 40M you mentioned in an earlier thread or something different?  In general, something really strong is usually also really easy to find.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM

In most cases, really strong means really close...

Thanks,
Dave
For reviews and setups see: http://www.nk7z.net
WB8VLC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2015, 08:28:36 AM »

After july 1st (when pot was legalized) in Oregon my noise went from s0 to s7-9 on the upper hf bands and 6meters.

Searching found one high level source creating all the RFI across the street, my solution was an old MFJ1026  NOISE CANCELLING box which also works very well on 6 meters.

The secret to using it is to have a good high gain aux/noise antenna that hears the noise but not the desired signal of course.

For my case I was able to connect with coax a high gain, high intercept point active receive antenna that was low to the ground but also as close to the noise source as possible.

The mfj1026 took the noise down to s1 but it takes very careful initial balancing of the main and aux/noise antenna gain adjustments.

Then careful/slow adjustment of the phase, trying every phase and filter adjustment, and then going back and slowly adjusting the aux antenna gain up and down until a null is found, repeating this process works very well.

It's a slow process that again requires placing your high gain aux/noise antenna in the proper location after which you lock the noise antenna down so it doesn't move later on.

If you use a main directional antenna like I use and move the antenna or change frequency more than a couple hundred KHz then it requires either a slight re-adjustment of the phase control or a total start over of the above procedure.

Again the most important aspect is to amplify the noise source using a high gain antenna as close to the noise source as is possible, for me a high elevation main yagi for my main antenna and a low hi gain aux/noise antenna capturing the noise was the solution.

KJ6ZOL

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2015, 08:43:08 PM »

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM

Yes, this is the same interference, as far as I can tell. The noise acts like it's on a timer, and will suddenly switch on or off. That's why I was thinking of a grow house.

I live in a designated flood plain in California and the area was determined to be off limits to ANY permitted work on the houses until the levees were upgraded. So you know how ridiculous it has gotten, one family suffered a fire that damaged their house. The feds said they were forbidden from fixing the damaged house.

Instead, they were commanded to raze the burned house, build a platform 25 FEET high, and build an entirely NEW house on top of the platform. 25 feet is the maximum potential floodwater depth according to FEMA. The cost was more than a good condition house in the area was going for. The family simply had to walk away from their mortgage.

No roof replacements, no plumbing work, ANYTHING that required permitting was made illegal unless the house needing work was razed, a platform built above maximum flood level, and a new house built on the platform. Now that the levees have been "fixed", FEMA has refused to lift the restrictions. There are lots of houses here that people have simply walked away from. The area is perfect for grow houses and other illegal house uses.

In addition, there is a new law here that states that police will only pursue violent crimes (murder, rape, that sort of thing). It was the answer to an overcrowded prison system. So, we have carte blanche for crooks to do pretty much whatever they want.
KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 10:16:01 AM »

other governments will buy out the homes in a flood zone if they have work on the drawing board to take care of the flood conditions.  you need to elect better weasels.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: