Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 [34]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Arc Fault Circuit Interrupters (AFCI's)  (Read 228809 times)
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #495 on: December 17, 2014, 04:52:18 PM »

Best I can tell here are the model numbers:

15 AMP - CHFCAF115
20 AMP - CHFCAF120

On each box, there is a red icon that states "TYPE CH" and the description shows 'TYPE CH COMBINATION AFCI"

Hope this helps.

73, Dennis W5UV

Thanks Dennis.  Could you find the word 'HAM' written anywhere on the breaker?  Chances are you will find it somewhere.

Jonathan W6GX
W5UV

Ignore
« Reply #496 on: December 17, 2014, 05:59:22 PM »

Looked everywhere - on the box, the leaflet that came with the new AFCI's, and on the AFCI itself.  Don't see the word HAM.  Will check to see if there is any improvement this weekend. Frankly, looking at the old AFCI's, they look the same and have the same model number! We will see.

73, Dennis W5UV
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #497 on: December 17, 2014, 09:11:50 PM »

The model numbers should be the same however the 'ham' version should be marked as such.  A while back the company actually mistakenly produced a batch of 'ham' AFCIs that were identical to the regular version.  Please do report back on whether the new AFCIs do the trick.

Jonathan W6GX
W4TL

Ignore
« Reply #498 on: Yesterday at 01:02:37 PM »

Looked everywhere - on the box, the leaflet that came with the new AFCI's, and on the AFCI itself.  Don't see the word HAM.  Will check to see if there is any improvement this weekend. Frankly, looking at the old AFCI's, they look the same and have the same model number! We will see.

73, Dennis W5UV

If you will look on page 9 of this forum, post reply # 125 you will see a photo of a HAM breaker and the location of the ID sticker.  They could have changed the location of the ID or may have converted over entirely to the new improved breaker and no longer using the HAM ID.

Terry
W5UV

Ignore
« Reply #499 on: Yesterday at 01:09:31 PM »

Those pics show the "HAM" only on a sticker on the side of the AFCI.  Unfortunately, I did not look at the whole breaker prior to the electrician installing them. Wish I had!

W4TL

Ignore
« Reply #500 on: Yesterday at 01:24:09 PM »

For information to those who are following this forum I would like to share the following information.

I had volunteered to Joe F. at Eaton to test any new or modified AFCI's they had here at my QTH since I had a couple of circuits that nothing would work except the older type AFCI that was immune to RF.  Joe sent me a couple of breakers a few weeks back and I finally got around to testing them yesterday.  Here is the e-mail I sent Joe F. this morning.

"Joe,

I finally got around to testing the CHFCAF115  AFCI's you sent me a while back.  We placed 2 of the breakers in 2 circuits that consistently  tripped no matter what frequency I transmitted on with the older style "HAM" breakers. If you recall we put the CAFA type breaker in these circuits and there was no more problems. We installed the breakers and proceeded with the testing. We transmitted with 100 watts output continuous carrier for approximately 10 to 12 seconds on several frequencies into the Off Center Fed Dipole antenna which I described in previous e-mails. The transmit frequencies were at approximately the center of the bands used and were as follows:

80 Meters    3.750 Mhz
40 Meters    7.200 Mhz
20 Meters  14.200 Mhz
17 Meters  18.120 Mhz
15 Meters  21.200 Mhz
12 Meters  24.950 Mhz
10 Meters  28.450 Mhz

We transmitted on each of these frequencies twice. The first series of transmissions results were that one circuit did not trip at all. The other circuit failed on one frequency (20 Meters, 14.200 Mhz).  We read the trip code on the breaker and it had a "5 Code, Ground Fault".

We reset the tripped AFCI and proceeded to retest transmitting on the same frequencies once again. This time neither of the breakers tripped on none of the frequencies. We transmitted several times on 14.200 Mhz trying to get the breaker that tripped to trip again and we could not make it happen. It only tripped with the first series of tests and only on 14.200 Mhz.

It appears to me that there have been some definite improvements to the design of the CH breakers based on this test."

It appears that Eaton has modified the software and or circuitry in their AFCI's and these later versions are and will be what they start producing as their standard breaker.

I just wanted to share this with those following this group and to affirm that Eaton is working hard to totally eliminate the nuisance tripping.

Best 73

Terry, W4TL
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #501 on: Yesterday at 03:29:51 PM »

Great job Terry.  Thanks for sharing the info.

Although this may not apply to you but it would be beneficial to the ham community if you could stress test the same improved breakers at legal limit power.  Also a mix of different modes (PSK31, RTTY, etc.) might be a good idea.

Jonathan W6GX
W5YZ

Ignore
« Reply #502 on: Today at 09:01:24 AM »

Dennis, did you attend the Rocky Mountain Division Convention in Albuquerque this year?  I think Brian, our Division Director, asked if anyone at the ARRL forum had any problems with AFCIs.  Seems to me he said that you stood up.  After talking with Brian, he made the comment that only one ham in the 70 person meeting reported having a problem.  Sounds like a small percentage.  But if you think about it, probably half the people there have never been on HF and a smaller percentage of those live in houses that have the "non-ham" AFCIs.  So I think there are a lot more out there who are just mystified about why their power goes off than Brian thinks.  BTW, Happy Holidays to all.
73, George, W5YZ
Pages: Prev 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 [34]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: