Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 [30]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Arc Fault Circuit Interrupters (AFCI's)  (Read 147758 times)
KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #435 on: September 27, 2014, 06:12:43 PM »

brush motor, which is why Eaton changed the innards to something that hates hams.  run that miter saw through a surge strip and see what happens.  otherwise, gin up a Corcom 15 amp line filter in a box, and try running the brush motor stuff through that.
WA0VLC

Ignore
« Reply #436 on: September 28, 2014, 08:26:31 AM »

Thanks, I will try that and see what happens.  I am just happy to get back on the air.
Bob
WA0VLC
WA9PIE

Ignore
« Reply #437 on: September 28, 2014, 10:27:52 AM »

Well... I thought I'd give an update.  It looks like some folks have had success with Joe Fello and Eaton.  And while I think Joe is an extraordinarily nice guy... I've seen NOTHING in the way of progress since I reported this almost SIX months ago.

I send an email and I get their out-of-office message.  Gosh - these guys must get 26 weeks of vacation... they're gone half the time.

Finally I sent an email last week... actually, two emails... back-to-back days.  Joe shuffles it off to someone else and ask them to continue.

Meanwhile, I've got an FTdx5000 on my desk collecting DUST.  I've made exactly TEN QSOs since the end of April when I figured out that it was these AFCI breakers at fault.  I'm staying off-the-air so I don't offend the neighbors... which causes Eaton to think that the problem has cleared.

NOT happy.

Mike, WA9PIE
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #438 on: September 28, 2014, 10:49:59 AM »

Hi Mike WA9PIE,

Sorry to hear about your situation.  I suggest that you call Joe everyday until he responds.  The squeaky wheel gets the grease Smiley

Jonathan W6GX
W4TL

Ignore
« Reply #439 on: September 28, 2014, 01:14:59 PM »

My radio is still working without tripping any breaker's but when I went to use my miter saw today, one tripped.  So it appears that when I have to use something like my saw, I will have to use a circuit that is not protected by one of the AFCI breakers.
Bob
WA0VLC

Bob,

You must have the CH115CAFA type breaker that is susceptible to vacuums, saws, tread mills, etc.  I had replaced some of my "HAM" breakers that were tripping with the CAFA's. One day I realized the tread mill was tripping a circuit.  I called Joe and he sent me a 15 amp  line filter/ surge protector in a completely sealed case and no more problems with the tread mill tripping a breaker and no more RF tripping any of the breakers anymore.

To Mike, WA9PIE,

Keep calling Joe, he will eventually answer.  Another thing I was told by both Ed Hare and Mike Gruber at the ARRL Lab that they would intervene with Eaton on situations that are lingering or are not getting any results. Five months of not getting any help should definitely qualify as lingering. E-mail and call them both and let them know of your dilemma.

Terry, W4TL
WB2MSC

Ignore
« Reply #440 on: September 29, 2014, 06:28:08 AM »

Hey guys

I'm sorry that Joe hasn't contacted Mike. I also get that "out of office" response but Joe has been good at getting back. Sometimes, I have to send another email but he always gets back. One suggestion, though; we are all frustrated with this thing but let's not take it out on Joe. He's been very helpful and it's going to take time. This problem will escalate as more hams move to newer digs.

My problem isn't Joe, it's my landlord. After repeated attempts to speak with him via phone, email and personal visits, I have had no luck. As I live in an apartment building, I also effect my neighbors, even with as low as 5 watts on 15m. I've finally took the next step and send in a complaint to the FCC explaining that it is my landlord and not Eaton that is the holdup. We'll see what happens. Basically, I want to know what my rights are. I suppose when you rent, you'll never win. They probably can't evict me since they would have to take me to court and I'm a licensed operator obeying the law. I think only the feds have jurisdiction here, anyway. The problem is when my renewal comes up. I don't know what the law is about refusing someone a renewal in the DPRNJ. This is an "affordable rent" apartment and I don't want to lose it as the regular rents here are obscene.

I must admit that I have the fantasy of borrowing a linear and blowing every AFCI in town. But, then, I have a warped sense of humor.

Good fortune to all, Marc WB2MSC 

WB2MSC

Ignore
« Reply #441 on: Yesterday at 11:36:26 AM »

Some good news

My landlord has contacted Joe at Eaton. If the township approves, my and my neighbors breakers will be replaced.

Stay tuned

Marc Katz WB2MSC
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #442 on: Yesterday at 01:10:18 PM »

Some good news

My landlord has contacted Joe at Eaton. If the township approves, my and my neighbors breakers will be replaced.

Stay tuned

Marc Katz WB2MSC

That's great news.  Please write down the model number and/or take photos of the replacement breakers.

Jonathan W6GX
W5YZ

Ignore
« Reply #443 on: Yesterday at 01:13:32 PM »

I've been gone for two weeks and it looks like we are making progress.  Coincidence?? Huh
Pages: Prev 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 [30]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: