Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 [32]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Arc Fault Circuit Interrupters (AFCI's)  (Read 173183 times)
W4TL

Ignore
« Reply #465 on: October 19, 2014, 04:37:57 AM »

You are absolutely correct.  They installed CHAF and not the CAFA breakers. Anyway these are good ones and don't trip with RF.

Hmmm...I'm confused.  I had thought the CAFAs are the ones immune to RF.  I have the CAFAs.  I know you have a mixture of CHAFs and CAFAs.  And you had replaced some of the 'ham' CHAFs with CAFAs.

Your post says they installed CAFAs but the picture shows CHAFs.

Jonathan W6GX

Jonathan,

My mistake all along.  I had inadvertently said I had replaced some of my breakers with CAFA's which was not the case I have the CHAF's identical to the those in the previous photograph.  I have never had any CAFA's.  Sorry for the confusion.

Terry, W4TL
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #466 on: October 19, 2014, 07:43:58 AM »

My mistake all along.  I had inadvertently said I had replaced some of my breakers with CAFA's which was not the case I have the CHAF's identical to the those in the previous photograph.  I have never had any CAFA's.  Sorry for the confusion.

Ok.  Thanks.  That makes more sense.  Just for clarification, I assume you have no further issues with the 'ham' CHAF's, correct?  Do you have one type of CHAF or two different types, ones that are 'regular' version and ones that are 'ham' version?  Lastly, you had sent a 'ham' version to Mike W1MG for testing.  Was that one a good AFCI or a bad AFCI that was giving you trouble?

Do you have any knowledge whether Eaton is installing the 'regular' version of CHAF or the 'ham' version of CHAF?  Obviously from the picture one cannot tell unless one looks at the label which is affixed on the side of the breaker.

Jonathan W6GX
W4TL

Ignore
« Reply #467 on: October 19, 2014, 08:10:10 AM »

Ok.  Thanks.  That makes more sense.  Just for clarification, I assume you have no further issues with the 'ham' CHAF's, correct?  Do you have one type of CHAF or two different types, ones that are 'regular' version and ones that are 'ham' version?  Lastly, you had sent a 'ham' version to Mike W1MG for testing.  Was that one a good AFCI or a bad AFCI that was giving you trouble?

Do you have any knowledge whether Eaton is installing the 'regular' version of CHAF or the 'ham' version of CHAF?  Obviously from the picture one cannot tell unless one looks at the label which is affixed on the side of the breaker.

Jonathan W6GX

Jonathan,

I have a combination of the  CHFCAF "HAM Breakers" and the CHAF.  I do not know if the CHAF's are the "HAM" version or not. There was no "HAM" designation on the labeling of the CHAF's.  Bottom line they are working and I have not had any more tripping in several months here.

Terry, W4TL
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #468 on: October 19, 2014, 11:15:24 AM »

Got it Terry.  So it appears there several versions.

CAFA (produced prior to 2012; this is what I have; completely immune to RF; phased out by Eaton)
CHAF (I don't know too much about these but Terry W4TL says they are immune to RF; was phased out by Eaton but it seems now they are back)
CHFCAF 'regular' version (trips from RF)
CHFCAF 'ham' version (still trips by RF according to Terry W4TL but it's better than the 'regular' version; not as good as the CAFA or CHAF).

I hope I got it right this time.

Jonathan W6GX

W5YZ

Ignore
« Reply #469 on: October 20, 2014, 03:34:21 PM »

All the houses across the street from me have CAF's.  All 14 of them and they are all affected.  I'm going to run a test next weekend to see who hasn't had theirs replaced.  Should be easy to find out.
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #470 on: October 21, 2014, 08:29:54 AM »

Hi All,

I just received an update from Mike W1MG at the ARRL lab.  He's still in the process of setting up a test arrangement.  It's not yet done but he hopes to have it done soon.  He didn't elaborate on the test arrangement however I presume it mimics an electrical service found in a typical home with an input (utility) and output (load), with appropriately sized ROMEX wiring acting as an antenna for the breakers.  I sent a request to Mike to ask him to summarize his findings by model number since there seems to be major differences between models on their ability to reject RFI.

Jonathan W6GX
Pages: Prev 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 [32]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: