The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Question About Street Lights  (Read 2232 times)
HFCRUSR

Ignore
« on: April 09, 2018, 06:21:23 PM »

I just got a letter from PG&E stating they're going to replace our old sodium vapor streetlights with new LED lights. I'm asking you guys here what does that mean for RFI? I suspect that I'm getting RFI already from some of these sodium lights as I get certain buzzing at nightfall. I'm hoping teh new LED ones emit less overall. Anyone know about this stuff? Thanks.
WB4SPT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2018, 07:28:08 PM »

See if they will get you the head to test.   I was given, once upon a time, a LED cobra head street light.  It contained a 24V dc output switching power supply.  about 3 or 4 Amps worth.   I don't recall if it was a RFI issue, it was too bright for me to keep on in my small back yard.   Grin
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2018, 06:47:33 AM »

I was involved in our City's testing of new LED streetlights, with regards to RFI.  All that the city had for testing were fine here.  No issues of any kind.  Of course they were new.

Thanks,
Dave
For reviews and setups see: http://www.nk7z.net
HFCRUSR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2018, 11:33:18 AM »

Thanks for the replies! I guess I can look forward to at least some of the RFI in HF to go away maybe. I have 4 of those sodium lights right near me.
AE5GT

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2018, 07:36:06 PM »

LED lighting uses a switch mode supply in most cases .  The short answer is ...it depends. I used LED track lighting in the shack , the amount of noise was highly dependent on the manufacturer, all were bad ...some much worse than others . I went back to low watt halogens ...problem solved. Lighting is much better too. Cheap LEDs have poor spectral distribution , loads of light but you cant see anything.
HFCRUSR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2018, 08:14:55 PM »

LED lighting uses a switch mode supply in most cases .  The short answer is ...it depends. I used LED track lighting in the shack , the amount of noise was highly dependent on the manufacturer, all were bad ...some much worse than others . I went back to low watt halogens ...problem solved. Lighting is much better too. Cheap LEDs have poor spectral distribution , loads of light but you cant see anything.
We'll see how she goes-don't tell me there'll be a crapload of switching PSs all over here Tongue Here at my shack it's all good old incandescent bulbs (can I say that?) but all throughout this building they have those curlys plugged into every socket they got. The PG&E letter claims  that the new LED lighting will of course use less power but will provide much better light for drivers and pedestrians alike! Yaay.
K8BYP

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2018, 10:31:35 AM »

LEDs dont make RF, the power supplies do.

Anything that an LED makes should be at microwave (?) frequencies.

PS I bought a commercial LED panel light and divorced the PS, placing the PS on the floor and panel on the ceiling. The wiring between the two radiate RFI!

I shoulda known better..its not severe, but...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: