The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HughsNet satellite for Internet  (Read 1130 times)
N9BH

Ignore
« on: May 18, 2016, 06:19:45 AM »

I will soon be moving to a rural area and am considering HughesNet satellite for Internet service.  I found their support link and questioned them about RFI issues and resolutions. The support team team said thank you and directed me to the sales team.  They did not respond back when I said I don't think the sales team will even know what I was talking about.

So, any of you folks have any experience with Hughes, or any other supplier of satellite Internet service?  After my short experience with Hughes support team, I am very concerned that if I subscribed to them, technical support would be out of the question.

Verizon is also in the area.  I already use Verizon for cell phone. Signal is not strong enough for fast Internet.  Any way to improve that signal?

Thanks
Bruce N9BH

KD5PKS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2016, 07:18:03 AM »

I used it in S LA after Katrina and it was OK. There is an obvious latency that slows it down, but it worked and was reliable. If you're expecting to do any online gaming, it won't do that well, but just surfing is OK. One way streaming like Netflix should be fine once it starts streaming. Skype or other realtime conferencing will suffer due to the latency.
N9BH

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2016, 11:36:42 AM »

Thanks for the info.  Did you notice any interference from the Hughes equipment or any any interference to the Hughes equipment from HF Ham Radio?
WA2AAR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2016, 05:42:49 AM »

I use it here in the area I am in. I have internet and phone with them and don't have any trouble. the only thing is when we get storm
then internet goes out for a while but the phone keeps working. Also watch there billing. They quoted me one price of $71 per month
and when I got my first bill it was double got them on the phone and after about 20 min. got it  all straightening out.

N9BH

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2016, 11:42:35 AM »

Thanks for the info folks!
N1UK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2016, 04:04:24 PM »

Signal is not strong enough for fast Internet.  Any way to improve that signal?

I put a dish on my tower to improve the 3G/4G 1800 Mhz signal - 24db of gain

Mark N1UK
KK5DR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2016, 01:52:48 PM »

Typical HughesNet crap.
I used them back when they were called Directway.
The customer support was "off-shore", and we're not very good with English.
I never had any RFI issues with the equipment.
Technical support was nearly nonexistent. What little there was, is useless. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: