The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Silent LED 60W light  (Read 69 times)
NO9E

Ignore
« on: Today at 11:34:09 AM »

All CFL and LED bulbs that I have had until now generated some RFI. That RFI is not necessarily heard in the antenna if other noises are stronger or the antenna is far away. But it is nice to have a bulb that is silent.

Such seems to be a 60W LED bulb selling at < $1 at Lowe's and labeled as "Utilitech Bombilla LED". It weighs a fraction of a regular LED bulb, uses 9W but has only 2000 hrs life. It seems to be brighter than other 60W bulbs I tried.

Perhaps it is a new technology. For instance many LEDs in series instead of a single LED so no PS needed.

Ignacy, NO9E
KC2MMI

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Today at 01:28:00 PM »

If it says it is an LED, where the industry standard 1/2 life is 50,000 hours, and it says the bulb's life is only 2000 hours, then you can bet there is either a translation error or something seriously "wrong" about that bulb. Possibly they are just using a string of 25 white LEDs with no power control, and assuming they'll last that long before something burns out. Or maybe they stole secret Roswell UFO technology. But personally, there's no way I'd try that kind of pig-in-a-poke unless they were giving out fee samples.

FWIW.

There's just something WRONG there. And the hours and RFI silence certainly make it sound like they're hiding tungsten bulbs inside.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: