Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RFI central heating and cooling units  (Read 2346 times)
AB4MT

Ignore
« on: January 21, 2003, 10:10:28 AM »

I would like to know if any one else has this problem. It seems when the temp drops the noise on 6 meters jumps. This only happens on 6 meters . I use wood heat so not from home QTH. I do live in town. And all have central units some new. I would like to know if this has given anyone else troubles.
   The oregon scientific radio is gone it had a 6 meter crystal in it that did give me some trouble. It is gone and have found other sources of RFI. Still looking for other sources to work on .
         Any help is welcome. IF no cure is found looks like I work will work 6 meters on no heat or cooling days which will be limited.
         ab4mt@bellsouth.net
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2003, 05:31:22 PM »

Do you have a rotary, directional antenna?  If so, can you "peak" the noise in a particular direction?

I've found the best way to rid myself of noise on six meters is to have a high (above ground), directional, rotary antenna.  If there's a noise source in the neighborhood, the beam helps me to find it an potentially eliminate it.  And if I cannot, then at least I can aim the beam in some other direction where the noise is nulled.

Trying to work "weak signals" (like SSB) on six meters with a non-directional antenna is certainly difficult.

WB2WIK/6
AB4MT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2003, 04:37:24 AM »

Thank you for reading the comment. Yes I do I have a 5 element 6 meter beam at 55 feet. I have pin pointed the areas . But the area is very wide in 4 areas. I can work north south and some parts east and very little west. I did get a 1025 mfj noise canceller and it does help . It took some time to learn how to use it . I can turn a s8 s9 to a 0 now. Even to the west.I got the box yesterday and used it last night . Worked 3 stations to the direct west of me in Texas.I did some checking around and couldnt get any info about these units to see if it was worth it.
      I have to say now  that it was money well spent .I phase it with a 75 meter vertical that I built and have strung up in a oak tree .I am impressed!It is amazing how good it works for me now.I did hook it to my receive antena and it worked but not as good. It does a great job on the vertical.
      Thanks for the input. Help is always welcome.
Thank you Michael AB4MT
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: