Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: any mfj-852 line noise meter users?  (Read 1850 times)
KA7GKN

Ignore
« on: January 27, 2003, 09:14:28 AM »

One of the mfj gadgets that actually works well. When outside at times, I can hear aircraft flying overhead speaking with the tower at sky Harbor airport
but as I tour my property inside and out I find it amazing as to how much noise all our electrical/electronic stuff generates!
Even my furman PM8 ac power conditioner etc. it sure is noisy and my behringer digital audio gear noisy the analog behringer is quiet hey even my acom 2000a is noisy...
ok don't panic, turns out most of that is op-amp and other digital noise that more times than not are not heard within our operating bands and most often filtered by the radios. still amazing as to the junk all the consumer and ham gear produce.

I look forward to some interesting success stories in this forum.

I am trying to track down a loud buzz that starts around 5.230mhz and will drift often up to 7 mhz and once 17mhz! I have addressed the sodium vapor street lights, power poles and the usual stuff
now I log the times the buzz is on and off and weak.
When it's s-5 loud! I scurry through the house headphones on and the mfj-852 on with no results.
I rotate the antenna to find a null ... nope I am suspecting a neighbors dreaded touch lamp oscillators are dumping into the ac line! I did fix them from rfi from me but not the other way.

I walk the property 8/10 acre and oddly when I approach the vertical coax in spots I hear the buzz!

I'm currently looking at my chain link fence system and yes even the house duct work. the duct work indicates noise when the mfj-852 is pointing to a register!!??? and not just in one room. I think since they are 1966 vintage ducts perhaps I will need to get into the attic and add bonding straps to the joints
just old rusting and acting as a receiver?

I also located one noisy ballast in a fluorescent fixture [ I have a few] but  it too acts oddly. sometimes when off it's quiet, when turned on nice and quiet the if you try again when turned on buuuzzzzz

I also have one fixture even with the switch off still has some noise. Anyway, I won't replace any ballast until i locate a source for the "good ones" nice and quiet not the magnetic made in mexico ones I know they exist but hard to locate in Phoeniox Az, and yes they will be expensive!

regards,marty
ka7gkn@arrl.net

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: