Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Electric fence charger question...  (Read 2135 times)
K8AC

Ignore
« on: June 06, 2003, 07:49:01 AM »

I've been working on a neighbor's electric fence, trying to get rid of the interference on 160 and 80 from the one second "ticks".  I've repaired all the fence faults causing arcing, but am left with a weaker tick that is apparently coming from the charger itself.  I wonder if anyone has tried the Pakton PTE-0050 filter unit?  This filter goes on the output of the fence charger and is supposed to filter out the high frequency component of the pulse a bit, thus reducing the ticking considerably.  As an alternative, does anyone know of a brand of charger that produces less RF noise than most?  
KA7GKN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2003, 11:52:39 PM »

go to the fi-shock electric fence website they may have some answers for you.
I am plauged by a neighbor's electric fence but I'm lucky cause they let me service it.
1. be sure the ground rod is an 8 foot 5/8 ul approved type home depot has them a short hunk of rebar is not a good ground!
2. ensure you have a 3 wire cord and you install bypass capacitors the electric fence folks do not because they won't spend the dollar in parts!
3.walk the wire any loose connection or splice will chatter I use a brass splice/crimp and then use the western electric style of splicing wires...that is tightly twisting the wires one side in one direction the other side the opposite direction. then as the wire is pulled the connection tightens

good luck you'll never eliminate the noise completely
the timewave anc-4 helps some but is not a cure.

I also have a tig welding qrm issue from a guy that has a body repair shop in his home yep! allowed by the city so it's there!

regards, marty ka7gkn
ka7gkn@arrl.net
K8AC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2003, 09:01:45 AM »

Well, I finally got lucky and now the noise is completely eradicated!  This fence had three separate "gates" consisting of a "gate handle" in each of the three wires.  While the handle contacts with the wires looked good, there must have been internal corrosion involving the spring mechanism.  I replaced the gate handles ($2 each) and the problem is now gone.  Funny you should mention it, but he actually is using a piece of rebar for the ground rod!  Fixed that early on, as the ground clamp was a bit larger than the rod and it was loose on the rod.  I really don't care how efficient his fence is as long as it's not arcing, so I left the rebar in place and shimmed the clamp with a strip of copper sheet.  Luckily, we have a big farm supply store about 25 miles away and they carry just about everything in the way of electric fence supplies.  
N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2003, 10:46:27 PM »

<< I also have a tig welding qrm issue from a guy that has a body repair shop in his home yep! allowed by the city so it's there! >>

That doesn't mean he's allowed to QRM you. Hollingsworth sends out letters to electric fence owners all the time about causing interference. File a complaint with the FCC and let this guy take the heat from them.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: