Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fluorescent lights  (Read 730 times)
N7IOH

Ignore
« on: August 24, 2003, 02:17:50 PM »

I know that fluorescent lights are known for causing RFI.  I have heard that some fluorescent lighting systems are much better at not producing RFI then others.  Can anyone tell me how to tell a good system from a bad system?  Is there a noise rating of some kind for these light or ballast?  Is there a way to reduce or eliminate RFI from a fluorescent light system?  Thanks, Al N7IOH
KC8VWM

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2003, 11:34:20 PM »

Are you talking about the newer "Compact Fluorescent" lights or the old tube style lights?

You are right that different fluorescent fixtures have different noise characteristics.

I have read that the BIAX brand of compact fluorescents are particularly noisy.

Has something to do with the method used for "cycling" heated gas inside the bulb.

KC8VWM
WCO3103

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2004, 02:38:05 AM »

On boats, the "Alpenglow" brand of fluorescent lights are well known for NOT producing interference. These are 12-volt supplied for boat use, but the manufacturer probably could give you good information on what they do, and why it works so well. Other brands are infamous for knocking navionics equipment out, these folks have earned a reputation for a top product.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: