Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: electric blanket/mattress pad rfi x10  (Read 1719 times)
AA1FR

Ignore
« on: October 12, 2003, 06:25:10 PM »

i bought an electric mattress pad yesterday and it interferes with all rf and powerline x10 stuff. comes in on am fm 2 meter and my x10 stuff don't buy...made by perfect fit co. website is perfectfitindustries.com but it is broken..made in china..turns on my x10 stuff and interferes even with the strong dana repeater in my area.
KA5S

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2003, 11:44:50 PM »

I see no one wants to play with this one.

Does it have a microprocessor? It might. If it does, that probably uses frequencies above 9 KHz and is required to meet Part 15 standards for digital devices. It's quite possible the manufacturer didn't test it.

If it has a switching power supply, that probably needs Part 15 compliance too. Same caveat.

It doesn't need a switcher if it uses modern, fast-turn-on (and off) control devices. Those'll mess up X-10, big time.  There's no real limit on conducted emissions below 150 KHz, and no requirement to check conducted meissions if no onboard clock is 9 KHz or higher, so you will have to deal with the manufacturer on that. However the X-10 folks will be interested!

Every so often, the Consumer Product Safety Commission
recalls electrical items (extension sockets, for example) because they're unsafe, and sometimes even because they have a fraudulent safety compliance mark. Your blanket may have been recalled:

"NEWS from CPSC
U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission
Office of Information and Public Affairs Washington, DC 20207

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
July 2, 2003
Release # 03-152 Company Phone Number: (877) 882-9478
CPSC Consumer Hotline: (800) 638-2772
CPSC Media Contact: (301) 504-7908

CPSC, Perfect Fit Industries Announce Recall of Electric Blankets
WASHINGTON, D.C. - The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission announces the following recall in voluntary cooperation with the firm below. Consumers should stop using recalled products immediately unless otherwise instructed.

Name of product: SOIREE® and Soft n' Warm® Electric Blankets

Units: About 18,000

Manufacturer: Perfect Fit Industries, of Charlotte, N.C.

Hazard: These blankets can overheat, posing a risk of burn injuries to consumers, especially when the blanket is folded or bunched."

particularly note:

"Remedy: Firm is providing a free replacement blanket, but consumers should unplug the recalled units immediately. "

For complete details on this recall, see
http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml03/03152.html

Finally, even if your blanket has not been recalled, if it produces interference as severe as you describe, you should contact Perfect Fit -- who is responsible for its compliance -- for resolution. You might also send an E-mail to the ARRl describing the problem.

Finally... Ever since the BPL folks started chanting "There are no complaints!" I've been recommending we file online interference complaints with the FCC for EVERY instance of harmful interference we can identify, just so no one else can say "No one complained!"

Good luck!

Cortland
AA1FR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2003, 08:52:03 AM »

Thanks I came across the blanket info right away, but this is a mattress pad, not in the recall.
     Yes this is very microprocessor controlled. No FCC lables anywhere, or part 15 stuff in the manual. Stereo pin plugs plug into the controls, probably a data signal, each side of the bed has a power supply the size of a UPS putting out the controlled 12vdc. The interference comes in even over the cable tv basic channels. You have to unplug the supplies even when turned off as they idle with an led and some heat wasted all the time plus the RFI.
     I'll try getting in touch with the company this week. I tried another x-10 house code for now but I would not trust that it may drift into other codes at times. It is the best performing pad I've used, but I don't want to start wrapping all the wires around ferrite chokes etc.
SEENDBL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2004, 06:13:56 AM »

Did this ever solve the interference problem?  I saw another post from another forum that said that perfectfitindustries had another power supply available with a filter in it.  I just bought one of these pads, but want to make sure it doesn't interfere with my X10.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: