Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: driving my neighbor nuts...  (Read 2614 times)
N6AYJ

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2006, 12:58:25 PM »

I can't help you solve your RFI problem, but you might want to learn the difference between "effected" and "affected".  It really puts people off when you use the wrong word.
KG2V

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2006, 02:33:34 PM »

and so do language cops - so you know where you can stick it
N6AYJ

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2006, 07:37:31 AM »

Nice try to shift the blame for your own illiteracy, OM, but the fact remains that you simply can't write.  Why don't you take responsibility for the fact that you weren't paying attention in school, rather than calling someone else names for simply pointing it out?
KG2V

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2006, 11:03:20 AM »

No, I know the difference between affects and effects, but it's more a case of not proofreading my typing, mostly due to laziness - you'll find I have a tendency to leave out little things like apostrophes and the like

Don't like it?  TFB OM
WL7CMG

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2006, 11:06:41 AM »

Yes....the guy is trying to do the right thing (whatever that may be), by asking for help from his fellow HAMS, and you give him crap about using the wrong word/s. GIVE IT A FREEKIN REST and go find something positive to do with yourself.
WA1RNE

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2006, 10:31:35 AM »

Charles;

You have to start wuth some basics first:

> Please provide a description of your 40 meter antenna including the antenna location on the property, height above ground, type of feedline, any antenna tuners being used and type.

> What is the worst case SWR at the transmitter and how are you measuring it?

> Do you have/use a lowpass filter?

Chris, WA1RNE
KG2V

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2006, 11:20:11 AM »

OK,
Antenna is a TV Evans 51ft "G5RV jr" - typical of the G5RV, it's got a section of ladder line coming down from the wires, with the supplied balun on the end, into the coax, coming into the shack - Connected to an MFJ-962D antenna tuner.  Low pass filter before the tuner

Antenna is flat topped at about 33 ft, with the antenna running basically along the centerline of the property - rear is a bit away from the house with the problems, front is about 5 ft towards (lot is 42 ft wide)

System grounded to nearest cold water pipe

SWR depends on band - 15m stinks, so I rarely use it - the problem band (40m) is about 1.1-1.3:1, measured with the MFJs meters (calibrated against a Bird).  20m is about the same - 17m and 12m range from about 1.3 to 1.8, Run 10m so rarely I don't know
KA5S

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2006, 04:30:56 PM »

Do you mean one end is near your house and the other end near his? Or that it run almost parallel to, and quite close, to his house?

Cortland
KA5S
KG2V

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2006, 03:46:42 AM »

Parallel to his house (approx) and about 25 ft away (and ditto for the neighbor on the other side)  ah, the joys of living in the city
KA5S

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2006, 07:11:24 PM »

Can you put it up turned so it isn't parallel to his home?

Cortland
KA5S
WA4PUF

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2006, 06:42:56 PM »

Your computer speakers can be repaired by placing a .01 500 piv ceramic cap across the inputs to ground.  Simply trace the input to where it goes into either a transistor are more likely a chip.  There will be two inputs, Solder a cap from each input to ground.  If you can find the right spots in the other equipment, .01's will most likely resolve those problems also.
NB2A

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2006, 08:29:41 PM »

There are many things obviously you can try. I have tried and succeeded as of late with my own RF on 40/80.
Mine was only affecting my own hf with RF.
Affecting was that correct? I cannot believe someone actually is here checking grammar.I guess he must be an elementary school teacher who needs to work a full year including summer school.

One thing I have discovered in my research is the cold water pipe is not an acceptable or NEC type ground anymore. With time and corrosion issues for example this can be quite a problem needless to say. I just changed my own main house ground last week when I found it contributed to my electrolysis issue literally frying my water into my house.My new main water feed now has no ground necessity. I would run a separate ground rod for your station itself. One separate ground rod from a central grounded point your tuner for example. You can find a load of helpful info on the Radioworks website about grounding.
Have your neighbor check his house ground too as stated.

Good luck
73s
NB2A
K8MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2006, 01:46:27 PM »

"System is grounded to water pipe"

Have you tried grounding to an electrode or three and bonding to your existing system?

When I changed from using our water pipe to an external ground rod the RFI in our house was reduced and so was the noise level on my radio.  

Water pipes are no longer considered effective grounds.  If you have city water you my have just turned your neighbors water pipes into an antenna.

I would make sure there was no problem with your own system before even considering repairs to multitudes of your neighbors appliances.

A quick test is to remove the ground connection to the water pipes and to some test transmissions.

If that works, you need to install a good low impedance RF grounding system.  You will be amazed at how it changes your noise levels.

Mark K8MHZ
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: