Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Suggested Muffin fan for TE Systems amps  (Read 667 times)
KB5YXQ

Ignore
« on: April 12, 2006, 08:14:39 PM »

I'm looking for any suggestions on Brands of muffin fans or any other type to cool my TE Systems amps, I am also looking for the most quiet and hopefully no RFI that are run on 12-14 volts. These will me mounted on top of the fins.
Thanks in advance, Scot (KB5YXQ)
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2006, 10:00:49 AM »

DC cooling fans rarely cause any RFI.  They operate from a power inverter in the hub of the fan, next to the motor, and the inverter frequency is very low.

Any brand DC brushless fan with a ball bearing or fluid bearing should be quiet and last a long time.  The higher CFM ones make more noise, but if you place the fan(s) close to the heat sink fins and experiment with airflow orientation, it shouldn't take a lot of CFM to cool these amps.

All the imported DC bushless fans in the 80mm-120mm size range only cost a few dollars each.  I'd probably use the largest ones I could (120mm is the largest standard size that's still inexpensive), with relatively low CFM rating (maybe 50-70 CFM) to keep the noise down.

WB2WIK/6
KB5YXQ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2006, 08:59:02 PM »

Steve, Thank you for the information.
Scot (KB5YXQ)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: