Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2006 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab  (Read 743 times)
NT8Z

Ignore
« on: September 05, 2006, 08:31:58 AM »

I just installed my Yaesu 857D in the truck using the seperation kit.  I have the base under the front seat grouned and the faceplate on the dash.

I only have tried this on 60 meters using a Ham Stick in a corner back stake holder.  I have a ground from under the truck attached to the stakehold mount.

When I transmit my gauges on the vehicle go crazy.  Gas gauge goes to zero, temp gauge goes to 160 degrees and oil pressure goes to zero.  I also light a security light on the dash and my turn signal relays chatter like mad.

Any ideas on how to eliminate this?

Scott
KQ8RP
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2006, 10:02:05 AM »

It sounds like your antenna is not grounded properly. You need to provide a very low impedance connection between the coax shield at the antenna and the truck body, frame, etc. Use short lengths of strap. Connect the shield to the bed. Connect the bed to the frame. Connect the exaust pipe to the frame at several point. The goal is to make every piece of metal look like one continous unit to the RF. Long wires don't work very well for RF grounding. Use wide, short straps.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2006, 10:03:02 AM »

Also take a look at K0BG's web site for a lot of good bonding (grounding) information.
W0BTW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2006, 09:49:41 AM »

I had a problem like this with my 2003 Silverado. The other replies are right about grounding. I had a problem because I initially had a bad ground between the screw on the radio and the pickup ground. Where I experienced the display dropping out was when I had a high swr as I was tuning the antenna to resonance. Is your SWR pretty low? I always tune up at low power now too!

Greg
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: