Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: White Noise RFI  (Read 678 times)
W7CNK

Ignore
« on: September 03, 2006, 08:09:20 PM »

I have an interesting RFI problem.  On 6 meters my noise floor is normally S1-2.  If I transmit to the North East my noise floor will jump to S5-6 and stay that way for 30-60 minutes or so then drop back to S1-2.  If I transmit again I get the same result.  It appears as broadband white noise from 48-51 MHz and directional peaking to the North East.  If I transmit on 2 meters I get the same results.  I also see a slight increase noise floor on 2 meters of 1-2 dB’s.  Any ideas?
KF7CG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2006, 11:07:47 AM »

I would say that you need to be ready to do some RF direction finding and location and then trip the noise.  It sounds as though your signal is triggering something into an unstable oscillation or maybe arcing.

It is probably something like an antena mounted tv signal booster being triggered into oscillation until some thing occurs that quenches it. It could be any device coupled to something that can look like an antena or resonant circuit.

Strobe it and then search. If you can trigger while operating portable all the better.

I would sure like to hear what it is.

David
KF7CG
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: