Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Noise Problem Solved!!!  (Read 1141 times)
10CVALLEYVOL

Ignore
« on: July 14, 2006, 01:21:40 PM »

Well after a little over a week of the S7-S9 noise probem (see related posts of mine on this) I was experiencing throughout 10-80 meters I found by making inquiries both on this forum and by contacting other hams in my area, nothing is impossible. As a new comer trying to get his station ready for when I get my license, I started noticing some RFI when listening to the bands. I first turned to the helpful people posting on eham.com forums to find out exactly what RFI was all about. Yep, I had it and was experiencing my first case. I then looked ut the hams in the Decatur, Alabama area that provided their email addresses to some of the "Call Lookup" features that many of the ham websites offer. I sent out an email to each explaining my problem and received some responses but all were important in putting the pieces of this puzzle together. The first to respond was Jerry Montgomery, K4SAV. He knew Jerome Pace, AI4IBI, who is an employee for Decatur Utilities, who provides electrical service to my area. Mr.Pace got in contact with me to let me know he was forwarding the details from the logs I made of the interference to someone in another department of the Utilities that handled such problems. Soon after I got a call from a Mr. Jay Jenkins who basiclly said to give him a call whenever the interference was present and he would be right out. Sure enough, the next day (today) I immediately noticed the same interference on my radio and my TV when tuning VHF stations. Soon after he arrived after making sure his equipment which consisted primarily of a HF directional receiver was operational, located a lot of noise (with the same signature) coming from a neighbor's house across the street. After explaining to the neighbor why we were walking on his property he invited us inside to narrow down the source. It turned out to be an old smoke detector that ran off of AC. When the power to it was cut off, the interference went away and at that time I felt like a hog in mud. Sorry I live in Alabama. Turns out that family was seeing the same interference on certain cable stations on their TV. Well, that is my story of my first encounter with RFI. I hope it is the last. I want to say that if you approach this problem with RFI and are lucky to have good, friendly helpful people around you, there isn't anything beyond fixing. Thanks to Jerry, Jerome and Jay for all of their help. Now its time to go study more Code.

73's

Ed Alexander
KD8BVJ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2006, 05:37:43 PM »

This is a good story! This hobby challanges and excites me most every day. Someday when you are the Elmer you can pass this on to the new folks.

N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2006, 08:04:46 AM »

The nice thing about this story is it not only solved your problem but his problem.  Now he will have a good impression of hams.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: