Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RFI and computer  (Read 667 times)
KI1U

Ignore
« on: October 02, 2006, 10:47:46 AM »

I am using an Icom 746 running 100 watts into a dipole for 15/40 and a 1/2 size G5RV for 10,12,20,30. On the desk I have a Toshiba Tecra laptop that I use for digital modes and logging. On some bands when I key up the laptop has fits. Sometimes the keyboard or mouse quit working, other times the computer will just shut off completely. Occasionally programs will quit or the computer will shut its volume off. The interference doesn't seem to be consistant. This has happened on just about every band and mode. Does anybody have suggestions for curing this intermitant interference?

Thanks,
Mike

Mike, KI1U
WW5AA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2006, 11:56:51 AM »

Mike,

It appears that you have way to much RF in the shack. It could be a lot of things causing the RF. Ground? any baluns? How near are the antennas? using the same, or different power outlets?

73, de Lindy
K8AC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2006, 03:19:16 PM »

Might be a problem of attached leads/devices picking up RF, and you might be able to solve that one.  Try running the PC on battery power with nothing attached - no mouse, no USB cable(s), no telephone line, no speakers etc.  If it runs trouble free that way, then attach one device at a time and recheck.  If you find a lead that is the source of the problem, you might be able to resolve it with a common mode choke - a few turns of the lead through one of the split cores (such as Radio Shack sells), or several turns around a ferrite rod.  Of course, it could be that multiple leads pick up enough RF to cause a problem.  If you're running the PC from an AC powered supply when the problem occurs, that might be a good lead to try first.
WB6SSW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2006, 05:22:43 PM »

In addition to K8AC's excellent comments, are you running your grounds to a common point?  If not, you should, then try grounding the laptop to that point as well.  You can usually pick up a good grounding point on the laptop at one of the D connectors (external video, DB-9 serial port, etc.).
KC8ZRK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2006, 05:38:51 AM »

I had similar problems with my Toshiba, which was also controlling my Ten-Tec Pegasus.  The fix was a T-4 choke and split beads from Radio Works, along with split beads on the mouse and keyboard.  I also had to move the operating location away from the autotuner I use (SGC).
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: