Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DGL-4300 - An RF Quiet Router...  (Read 684 times)
WB1AEX

Ignore
« on: August 15, 2006, 01:34:10 PM »

I retired my old DL-704P D-Link 4-port router several days ago. It has served me well for 4-5 years, but the WAN side was limiting my bandwidth following upgrades to cable service here, and it had no wireless access. While it was very reliable, unfortunately, this router spewed quite a bit of garbage out on 6 meters, making it difficult to use my HT (VX7R) on 6 meters in the half of my house where the router was installed. So... I replaced it with a D-Link DGL-4300 4 port with wireless capabilities. After getting the wired and wireless network LAN installed, I took a deep breath, grabbed the HT and scanned the 6 meter band. It was perfectly clean, even with the HT sitting a few feet from the router. Nothing heard on any of the VHF/UHF bands. Nothing heard with the VX7R sitting 3 feet away while scanning the public service bands or the aircraft band either. Tuning through the 160 meter through 10 meter bands in the Studio B computer room (FT-897D) with my open-wire-fed inverted vee, nothing heard there either. One leg of the inverted vee passes within 30 feet of the side of the house where the router resides, but all is silent. I hesitate to recommend a device like this because every installation is different, but I am very pleased with the lack of RFI from the D-Link DGL-4300. In addition, it is an amazing feature-packed router, especially if you play a lot of online games. At any rate, After reading the archives here, and the RFI problems others have found with various models, I would be interested in other experiences with the newer generation of routers. The downside of this router is the current cost of $149. But to be honest, it had the LAN performance feature set I was looking for so I splurged and got lucky on the RFI side of the bargain too.

Rob WB1AEX
WB1AEX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2007, 09:39:17 AM »

Addendum to this router:  After using this router for the past 9 months, I can happily report that it is still ham friendly. However, the little wall-wart switching supply can be a source of interference on HF. It produces a warbling, modulated oscillation every 60 kc on 160 through 10 meters. The oscillations slowly wander up frequency continuously. The solution is cheap and easy, just replace it with a simple 5 volt (2.5 amp) DC linear supply and it is silent.

Rob WB1AEX
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: