Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bad Experience with HRO Burbank  (Read 2089 times)
K8JDC

Ignore
« on: December 08, 2003, 08:30:53 PM »

All,

I'm in the middle of a bad experience with HRO Burbank.  I'd like to warn as many hams as possible to avoid this store.  In this one transaction, they have lied to or misled me three times.  Here's the summary:

I stopped in to the store last Tuesday and purchased a new Icom from the store manager, Eric KA6IHT.  The radio was to be shipped to my home in Ohio.  I asked Eric when it would be shipped and he told me it would be shipped the following day.  That was fine with me.

On Friday, I called Burbank to get a tracking number.  A woman answered the phone and indicated that they had NOT shipped the radio yet (AS PROMISED).  She said that (1) it would be shipped Saturday and that (2) it would be shipped from Atlanta.  She said it would take two "shipping" days, so I expected the radio to arrive the following Monday (today) or Tuesday (tomorrow).  I wasn't pleased that the radio had not been shipped AS PROMISED, but I said "okay".  

Today (Monday), I sent Burbank an email requesting that they send me the tracking number for the radio.  I received no response, so I called them to get the tracking number.  Again, I received bad news.  The radio had not been shipped Saturday (AS PROMISED) and was shipped late Monday (today).  (Eric told me that they did not send ANY shipments out on Saturday, so I guess his employee must have "forgotten" that fact.)  I again was not happy, but then found the kicker.  Eric told me that the radio had been shipped from Burbank to Ohio instead of from Atlanta (AS PROMISED).  Great.  The tracking number has not shown up yet on UPS's web site, but my guess is that I will not receive this radio until next Monday.  That's almost TWO WEEKS after purchase.  After I pointed out to Eric how they misled me 3 times, all he could do is refund ten bucks.  BFD, Eric.  I've had business dealings with AES, R&L, Universal in the past and have been pleased with each.  This has been my first purchase from HRO and  I'm quite sure it has been my last, also.

Summary:
1.  Store manager told me the radio would be shipped Wednesday, 3 Dec.  It was not.
2.  Store employee told me the radio would be shipped Saturday, 6 Dec.  It was not.
3.  Store employee told me the radio would be shipped from Atlanta to get it to me sooner.  It was not.

I've never thought it was very difficult to provide good customer service.  I did not ask for any special service here.  I just expected the store to keep their word and they failed me three times.  I advise all to avoid this store in the future.

JDC
KG4YJR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2003, 08:25:53 PM »

Some of HRO's staff does not share the same enthusiasm as their management. One time I received an antenna that was bent to fit inside a small box. Just speculation from the way my packing slip was printed in the order of the items was first, a battery pack for an ht, a small item, employee "X" grabs a small box then notices the second item on the list is a 24" antenna but employee "X" has already grabbed a 12" length box so what the heck, rather than grab an appropriate sized box, employee "X" bends a $50, 24" antenna and shoves it in the small box, packs the popcorn packing in real tight and ships it off to me. When I received the box and saw the damaged antenna I called the manager from the HRO where it shipped. He was embarrassed and apologized. He promptly sent a new antenna and explained to me that his "shipper" was not a ham and really didn't pay attention to how she shipped things.
That's the only time they've screwed up an order for me though. I've ordered from them dozens of other times, even after this incident with no issues and it usually takes one day for my stuff to arrive.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2003, 01:46:19 PM »

K8JDC, that's unfortunate.

I just have to ask, why did you opt to have the rig shipped to Ohio, rather than just walking out with it?  Freight cost less than CA sales tax?

I'm always puzzled when anyone opts to have something shipped after seeing it in person.  When I buy a "new" rig, I want the very same one I played with in the store, not a different one.  For all I know, the different one's been run over by a truck.  The one I played with is the one I want!

73 & sorry about your experience.  I've purchased lots of stuff in HRO-Burbank and never had a problem, but then, I've never had anything shipped, either.

WB2WIK/6
AD7DB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2003, 07:51:13 PM »

HRO Burbank lost me as a customer long ago. I got tired of the glaring look I'd get from their salesdroids whenever I came in the door. As if, "You going to buy something today or just waste our time?" I wondered if it was just me, so I watched them. They glared at everyone coming in the door. Some friendly folks THEY are.

Based no doubt on a scathing piece I've previously written here about them, someone sent me an email inviting me back, they're much friendlier now, yada yada. I couldn't tell if the individual was connected with them or not.   No, I don't think I will go back. They had plenty of chances, they burned themselves. I've heard HRO stands for "Ham Rip Off" and "Honesty Rarely Occurs"... that's up to you to decide.

I found other ham radio sources who actually SMILE when I pay a visit.
KG4YJR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2004, 10:44:23 AM »

Just from posts I've seen throughout the web. A lot of people who personally know the owners of ham stores said they would love to shut their doors to the public and just concentrate on phone or Internet sales. It's probably because a phone or Internet order doesn't require the sales person to give the customer the equivalent of an automobile test drive. Usually somebody has their mind made up when they place an Internet order and it takes at the most, 5 minutes and people pay the advertised price. In store sales probably average 15 to 30 minutes and probably include haggling.

Dave
N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2004, 12:43:46 PM »

While I haven't dealt with the Burbank store, I do have experience with Woodbridge, Atlanta and Newark and have found nothing to complain about with any of the three.

Lon
W0MU

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2004, 09:41:54 PM »

If you do not feel your concerns were handled appropriate you should call or e-mail the corporate office.  

I worked for HRO Denver for many years part time and taking care of the customer was of prime importance.

Mistakes happen from time to time and how these mistakes are handled will determine if a customer returns.  In this case it sounds like the ball was dropped a number of times.

I don't know anyone who ships on Saturday.  My guess is that the manager was going to have to product shipped from the Atlanta store because it is closer and would have saved transit time.

Mike W0MU

N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2004, 06:25:51 PM »

I have delt with Mach (retired) and Mark.. of the oakland Ca store and have had absoulty perfect service. never a problem or hang up in dealing that was not resolved immeadiatly..every time.. good work Oakland HRO  tom N6AJR
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: