Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RFI at the service entrance to my house  (Read 1250 times)
AB2YS

Ignore
« on: April 14, 2008, 10:35:57 AM »

I've been noticing intermittent RFI (sounds like a constant 60Hz frizzle, S9 from 40M through 20M, most noticeable in AM mode) in my shack, so this weekend I walked around my shack with an AM radio and noticed some noise from the outlets and very loud noise from the service entrance. I shut off the power main at the breaker box and walked over to it and the noise was still very loud near the spot where the power line enters the box.

Outside, at the meter, with the house power still turned off, the noise was also present.

Is this a good point to call the power company, or would I be required to do more checking?

AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 03:50:58 PM »

Likely the noise is from arcing at an insulator on a pole and following the wires into the house. I've had noise travel half a mile down the line from the actual source.

KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008, 03:51:28 PM »

or would I be required to do more checking?

I'd check to see if your fire insurance is up to date!

Is this a good point to call the power company,

Like real quick would be in order; you may have an arcing meter or mains connection and that could result in something really bad happening.
AB2YS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008, 06:47:49 PM »

"Like real quick would be in order; you may have an arcing meter or mains connection and that could result in something really bad happening. "

Point taken, although I had the breaker box front panel off and there were no signs of any internal problems. Also interesting is that the RFI will go away for a while and then come back for anywhere from 15 minutes to a few hours. Tonight it's S9 from 75M-30M.

I did call Public Service, I'll have to wait and see what they find.
WA7NCL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2008, 08:25:15 AM »

There is some sort of noise source on the power lines.  It can come from a long ways away.

I had a neighbor with a bad GFI in his bathroom.  He is over 500 Ft away and we are on an underground utility system.  The noise was all over the HF bands.  You could detect it from the outlets in my house and my power panel, much as is describe in your post.

I followed it on the underground run to the transformer that feeds my neighbors house.  I couldn't figure it out, but the power company guy came out and got the neighbor to turn off his power.  They then turned on each of his breakers until they found the source.  Not rocket science but it did the job.

So you are on the right track trying to work with the power company.  Just be polite and persistant.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: