Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HID Headlighs and RFI  (Read 864 times)
KL7YK

Ignore
« on: August 13, 2009, 07:23:26 PM »

Ok let's bounce this off the group.

Typical HID lighting installed on vehicle, works fine as a bright light source for driving.  Except for the RFI the ballast generates.
Each side has its own ballast and is wired direct to the battery as recommended by the manufacturer.
Seeing several possible solutions on the web.  From ferrite toroids to inline filters.  Some even suggest wrapping it with foil.

My question is why couldn't the leads be run through say the shielding out of RG8 coax and ground each end? Encase the ballast itself in a metal case and ground the case?  Or combine the two?

If the RFI is in fact either generated on the power leads (acting as an antenna) or emitting directly from the ballasts then encasing the whole nine yards would trap the RFI.

Looks like a cheaper more effective solution than inline filters or toroids.

The RFI I am getting is VHF+ have not heard any mention of it on HF from the truck.

Ideas?
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 02:18:19 PM »

You still have to filter the DC power lead going into your shielding enclosure, but perhaps you could do that with a hefty feedthrough cap or pi-network feedthrough filter.  The latter would have to be rated for a bunch of current though.

Dan

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2009, 05:34:46 AM »

You may be right. Google 'HID headlight RFI' and there are many hits. The manufacturers are aware of the RFI potential and are addressing it.

I'd have to see and measure a HID system to know how best to address the RFI.

You can certainly do some troubleshooting with aluminum foil and ferrite beads to reduce common-mode noise. For differential-mode noise you will need to add some LCR components.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: