Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Verizon FiOS EMI/RFI to 80/40/20?  (Read 3201 times)
N2EY

Ignore
« on: February 11, 2009, 05:43:46 AM »

I'm thinking of switching to Verizon FiOS for telephone and internet (NOT TV, that's what antennas are for!). I don't intend to do wireless networking; the house is wired for both Ethernet and telephones.

Main Amateur Radio interest is 80, 40 and 20 meters. They're noisy enough now!

Does anyone have real-life experience with RFI/EMI from the equipment Verizon installs? I have seen some info that the power supply for the Actiontek M1424WR router is noisy; is there a quiet replacement, or is that router not needed for wired networks?

Thanks & 73 de Jim, N2EY
WA3SKN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 09:47:28 AM »

You should be asking Verizon about this... and see if their eqpt is rated for Part 15 class A or B!  They could easily change eqpt and you would not know what they plan to install at your location.
73s.

-Mike.
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2009, 10:16:07 AM »

I will ask Verizon. But it's a safe bet that they will say their equipment is perfectly clean, FCC approved for residential use, and that they have no problems at all.

What I really want is the experiences of hams who have had Verizon FiOS installed.

"Ask the man who owns one".

73 de Jim, N2EY
WA7NCL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2009, 03:44:11 PM »

Since its optical fiber, I would think the only part that would be in question is the modem.  The rest of your network is under your control.  I assume a router and ethernet.

I have had various grades of DSL and use Phoneline, ethernet, and HomePlug in my ham shack.  Mostly I interfere with the network rather than vice versa.

Most likely the cheapo wall wart power supplies they supply will be the problem.  You can always replace them with quieter ones or filter them.
W3WN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2009, 06:15:50 AM »

I've had Verizon FiOS for almost four years now, one at the previous QTH & coming up for three at the current one.

I had a (physically) small router originally without wireless, which was upgraded to a (physically) larger router with wireless "at no extra charge" when we moved, as the Verizon tech didn't want to get his hands dirty by drilling a hole for running wires.  And then when we added FiOS TV service, they came out with a third router (same as the previous one) for the TV service (their router boxes run on a coax network using the existing RG-59 cables).

NO RFI issues with any of the routers.
NO RFI issues with the wireless connection.

In short:  Not to worry.  (Of course, YMMV, VWPBL (STn))

KD5TAN

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 10:58:54 PM »

I don't have FiOS, but my next door neighbor does.  It does have problems, giving me S8-S9 noise on 20 meters.  Another FiOS install at house 500 feet away is seems to be malfunctioning (confirmed with house power off and battery backup only), giving me big S9+ problems in HF with noise into 2 meters.  Noise is easily traced to both installations.  I'm currently working out some arrangements with the local club to get some testimonials to present to the ARRL and am forming my own report for the FCC so that action can be taken.  Of the people I talked to in the club, two have FiOS installation and reported no interference, and two have FiOS and had/have interference problems.
W5UV

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2009, 05:10:46 PM »

I have Verizon FIOS internet using their wireless modem and it is is very noisy on all bands above 40 meters.  I called them and got the runaround.  I have tried ferrite, shielded Cat5 with no success.  Learned to live with it. Good luck on yours!

73, Dennis W5UV
W2MV

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2009, 08:17:15 AM »

I posted a separate thread. The FiOS ONT that Verizon provided creates wideband RFI for me on the 7 & 10 MHz bands.
WB4BYQ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2009, 09:37:22 AM »

sounds like you need a good ac common-mode choke on the
ac supply.  the amidon ft-240-77 will work very well.

shielded cat 5 cable with the shielded rj-45 will help with rfi from computer equipment ports.  sometimes also
type 31 snap-on's at both equipment ends.  i would replaced the switching power supply wall unit with a
transformer type if you can find the correct voltage and current.  commond mode choking must be used in all cases.  for help look at these sites for assistance.

http://atnm.mcars.us/HomeBrew/WB4BYQ/CommonModeChokes/
http://www.olympixcorp.com/rfchoke/ferrite.htm
W2MV

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2009, 10:10:18 AM »

Since VZ is at a dead end, my next action will be to create my own coax jumper from the ONT just as VZ has...with a difference. This one will be wrapped around an Amidon toroidal core. If that's NG, my next step is to do the same with the p/s cords.

I walked around with a portable RX outside, tuned to 7 MHz. When I move the antenna near the coax the noise increases.
N6NJS

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2009, 07:23:30 AM »

I have had Verizon Fios here for 3 years and never noticed any problems with interference.  I have all three Tv, phone and internet.  One router, two computers and two tv's.  I like the service but it seems sort of expensive.
W2MV

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2009, 12:25:02 PM »

I disconnected power and the ONT was being powered by the BBU. Telephone, internet, and TV were all working which probably means that the ONT was fully "up" at least for a while. The RFI disappeared even though the ONT was running. So now it seems that the RFI is probably coming from the p/s or the batt charger. I turned the power back on to the ONT, and placed a portable SW rcvr tuned to 7 MHz near the p/s and BBU. I could hear noise on both occasions, but when the rcvr was adjacent to the BBU the signal was really strong as indicated by the signal strength LED. OK, so I'm probably experiencing direct radiation and/or common-mode problems...more work to be done!
N6NJS

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2009, 07:24:48 AM »

I have had Verizon Fios here for about 4 years now. I have just one router.  I have the complete package. phone, Tv and internet.  Not one problem with interference from Verizon Fios.  Just wish it were not so expensive.
WA3USG

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2009, 06:29:17 PM »

I have a noise level on 75 meters & 40 meters of over S9. The noise seems to eminate from the Verizon FIOS equipment box mounted outside on my house. I have unplugged the FIOS Modem/router AND the power supply to the FIOS box outside. When you unplug the supply to the outside equipment, it switches over to battery so you really can't kill the power.

I located this by using my Yaesu VX-7 tuned to about 135 MHz. Tuned to this ftrequency, the VX-7 goes to AM detection and is very sensitive to noise. I also used a small 4 element 2 meter beam to pin point the noise. The VX-7 and a beam makes a SUPERB system for locating interference.
W2MV

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2009, 11:18:57 AM »

Sorry to hear about your RFI from Verizon.
I have a workaround, but not a cure. I've also filed a complaint with the FCC.
Here's the workaround, which I found on a broadband provider blog, and it works.
On the FiOS BBU, take off the covers, pull out the multi-pin green connector. If you're unfamiliar with this type of connector (as I was), each individual connection is released by inserting a small screwdriver into the hole below the wire and pivoting the connector up. The wire can then be pulled out.
Do this for the "on battery" and "missing battery" wires,
color coded grey and blue on my BBU.
When the a/c power is now removed from the ONT's power supply, the battery will continue to power all FiOS services for the life of the battery. The ONT has been "tricked" because the signal wire for the "on battery" condition has been disconnected. In my case, it lasted 6hrs15mins. When I want to operate on 40 M, I just un-power the ONT and my RFI is gone. This also includes birdies spaced 60 KHz apart. When I QRT, I re-connect a/c power. Now my wife is happy that the TV and internet still work and all is peaceful on the Eastern front!
Alan, W2MV
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: