Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Panasonic Plasma RFI  (Read 12435 times)
WA6FX

Ignore
« on: October 27, 2009, 09:33:12 PM »

Does anyone have a late model Panasonic Plasma (50" or so) in the area of their rig?  How are the newer ones for interference near the shack?

Any reports appreciated....
KA2UUP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2009, 08:25:16 AM »

I have a 42-inch plasma from Panasonic (4 years old) in the living room.  My shack is in the basement.  Direct distance from radio to Plasma is about 30 feet.

RFI when the TV is on makes it impossible to operate.  Interference is also aparent in the AM radio we keep in the kitchen.

This TV is an RFI machine.  Beware the new washers from GE (those with no agitator that also connect to the dryer).  Operating while washing clothes cannot be done, at least in my house.  A brute force filter has worked to attenuate the noise, but not enough.

Hope this helps!

Bert @ KA2UUP
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009, 08:11:32 AM »

Test the TVs. You can bring a small AM radio to the TV store and check out the radiated AM BC noise of various models. I'll give this a try.
W8JI

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2009, 03:32:27 AM »

Good luck with that plasma TV set. I've seen a few dozen different models and they are all horrible RF generators. Most of the RFI comes out the viewing screen front, so unless you are willing to place it in a closed metallic screen cage, like a copper screen room, it will likely be a problem.

Tom
WA7KGX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 04:27:12 PM »

Has anyone measured these beasts to see if they violate Part 15?
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2011, 07:15:28 PM »

Has anyone measured these beasts to see if they violate Part 15?

Of course they do. If they didn't, there'd be no RFI problems.

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
K2OWK

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2011, 11:54:16 PM »

Sorry people. I have a 42" Panasonic Plasma TV. I have had it for 4 years now. My ham shack is located about 20 feet away in another room. I am using a Yaesu FT-450AT connected to three inverted "Vs", operating on 40 thru 6 meters. The antennas are located about 40 feet from the TV. I have NEVER experienced any RF interference from the the TV to my ham set, or from the ham set to the TV. I do not understand this problem you are talking about.

73s

K2OWK
WB4BYQ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2011, 12:51:38 PM »

Please tune the entire band from start to finish.  i had a neighbor that has a plasma tv, and the rfi was not over the entire band but wiped out certain areas of the band from 160 to 10 meters.  the rfi was all over the power ground system, maybe the house ground was not good, but i could hear the rfi on my house power ground system.  rented the house and built a new house in the country on 5 acers, and left the rfi problems in town.  the plasma's will all die off within a few years, it appears they are phasing them out.  energy hogs they are.
richard
WB4BYQ
W1AEX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2011, 08:09:00 AM »

I have NEVER experienced any RF interference from the the TV to my ham set, or from the ham set to the TV. I do not understand this problem you are talking about.

73s

K2OWK

I have a friend with a Panasonic Elite Plasma who made that same statement. He said that when he turned his plasma on he heard no increase in noise at his location. I had to see that for myself. As it turned out, he had a residual noise level of crap that was always S-5 to S-9 so the crud from the plasma, which I could hear at many places as we tuned through several ham bands, was just one more noise among many others.

I have NEVER heard a plasma television that did NOT spray RF at points on the HF bands. When they were first released onto the market, several airlines began installing them in their aircraft in the race to be the first to provide their passengers with the in-flight HDTV experience. They all hastily retreated from that deployment when they found their VHF and long haul HF communications impaired. They attempted to shield the TV enclosures, and failed miserably. As one poster here already pointed out, the screen itself floods the surrounding area with EMI so the only hope would be to install an EMI shield over the screen. This problem has been very well documented so I'm surprised you are unaware of it. Seeing is believing, so grab a portable SW receiver and stand in front of your plasma while tuning through the HF spectrum. If you don't hear a peep from the plasma, then you are the luckiest ham radio - plasma owner in the world! There are numerous YouTube videos demonstrating the severity of this problem. The 5 minute video at the link below is well done and will make any ham radio operator or swl pretty much vomit, especially when viewing the last minute:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8Rsas38trU

Fortunately, most LCD and LCD-LED televisions do not cause any HF/VHF EMI issues. Unfortunately, the big box stores seem to be selling washing machines and dryers that utilize UNFILTERED pulse width motor control systems. If you enjoy the 75 meter band, pray that no neighbor within 1000 feet buys one.

Rob W1AEX
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 08:18:06 AM by W1AEX » Logged

KH6DC

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2011, 11:48:33 PM »

I have a 4 year old Panasonic Plasma TV which is about 10 feet from the rig and about 25 ft from the antenna (BigIR Vertical).  It generates so much RFI I may have missed several DX QSOs.  Hence why I'm selling the Icom 7600 for an Elecraft K3.  I had a chance to listen/operate one and it was quieter when my friend's plasma TV was on.  Another RFI polluter?  My Maytag Bravos washer, the one without the agitator.  Like KA2UUP, we have similar equipment and noise issues.

73 Delwyn KH6DC

73 and Aloha,
de Delwyn, KH6DC
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2011, 02:12:57 PM »

I have a 4 year old Panasonic Plasma TV which is about 10 feet from the rig and about 25 ft from the antenna (BigIR Vertical).  It generates so much RFI I may have missed several DX QSOs.  Hence why I'm selling the Icom 7600 for an Elecraft K3.  I had a chance to listen/operate one and it was quieter when my friend's plasma TV was on.  Another RFI polluter?  My Maytag Bravos washer, the one without the agitator.  Like KA2UUP, we have similar equipment and noise issues.

73 Delwyn KH6DC

I would have sold/gotten rid of the Plasma TV first

--------------------------------------
Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
KF4HPY

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2011, 09:41:44 AM »

I have a plasma set and see bars while working PSK.  It is usable in the clear areas .  The TVI is a yello bar in the waterfall.  I operate in the mottled blue areas.  We can complete the  QSO easily.  For best results, ask Mrs. C. to turn off the TV.  Hi Hi!! KF4HPY
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2011, 10:03:59 AM »

Some manufactures are trying to get more sales life out of Plasma because it is cheaper than LCD to build but has a more finite life and is very power hungry too. (in addition to being RFI generators)

Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2011, 05:43:02 AM »

Not only that, but plasma TVs generate a lot of heat, which works against your air conditioning in the summer. This is older technology that needs to be avoided by the public and ham radio operators!  Wink
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 05:44:43 AM by KI4SDY » Logged
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2011, 04:18:31 PM »

Not only that, but plasma TVs generate a lot of heat, which works against your air conditioning in the summer. This is older technology that needs to be avoided by the public and ham radio operators!  Wink

Very true. As long as people buy them (or efficiency rules ban them) they will build them because they cost less to build. They actually use about 2x to 3x the power of a old big CRT TV. They are kinda like turning on a 1600 BTU +  heater in room. A modern LCD that is LED back lite will use abt 100 watts or less and make maybe 300 BTU of heat tops too. I have a JVC LCD LED 40 inch I got 3 years ago that only uses 85 watts. 

Silly part is you are not saving any money with cheaper set because if you average say 50 hours a week that is 2500 a year. 500 watts x 2500hrs is 1250 kw. if you pay 10 cents a kwh that is 125 a year verses 25 bucks a year for a LCD LED backlite. And that is before added cooling bill in summer. If you use TV more or pay more for electricity, Plasma TV cost even more vs LCD. Over say a 4 year life span of TV you can easily pay a extra 500 bucks to power a Plasma TV. 

Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: