Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Panasonic Plasma RFI  (Read 14276 times)
G4WBH

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2011, 01:51:34 AM »

I had a Panasonic TX-P42G20B plasma TV that completely wiped out all my HF band reception, particularly 80 and 40m. When it was almost a year old (a couple of weeks ago) I emailed the retailer, Amazon UK, and told them of the problems. Amazon, without any argument or question, offered me full refund (£750) which I accepted.

I replaced the Panasonic with a Sony KDL46EX723BU backlit LED TV which is an absolutely superb picture and causes not one scrap of RFI.

I thought I'd share my experience with the forum because I am so pleased with the outcome and I have learned so much from the blokes who write in the RFI section. Many thanks...

Paul
G4WBH
G4RNI

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2013, 01:09:43 PM »

I made the uninformed choice of buying two PANASONIC plasmas, a TX-P50GT20b and a TX-P42GT15B about 3-4 years ago. I had no problems at all until my girlfriend came over one night when I was working HF and she turned the TV on.
EVERYTHING was wiped out with an enormous buzz. I could even hear it under the local 2.5kW medium wave transmitter on 1458kHz. Local? It is 0.5 mile away so a ROCK CRUSHING SIGNAL.

I was blissfully unaware of the problem until then as, living in my own place, I don't have TV on when using the radio except when I checked for any TVI.

I sold the two plasmas and replaced them with LCD screens. Problem solved until last week when my OAP neighbour's son gave her his old plasma telly. JEEZ!

DON'T buy a plasma set and if you're talking with a neighbour who even hints at buying a new TV EMPHASISE that plasmas use much more electricity AND with the interference they "radiate" who knows what other issues they may hide!

Time for a bit of reverse psychology!
AA4HA

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2013, 09:35:19 PM »

Even a device that is compliant with FCC Part 15 they can still tear up the HF spectrum.

This is in FCC OET 63;

"Part 15 transmitters that obtain power from the electrical power lines are subject to
conducted emission standards that limit the amount of radio frequency energy they can
conduct back onto these lines in the band 450 kHz - 30 MHz. This limit is
250 microvolts."

http://transition.fcc.gov/Bureaus/Engineering_Technology/Documents/bulletins/oet63/oet63rev.pdf

250 uV will trash the HF spectrum and be perfectly legal.

For radiated emissions the standard has lots of different levels for different types of devices. The one that is probably most applicable to televisions is that the limit is 30 microvolts/meter at a distance of 30 meters.

30 uV/M @ 30M is still a signal level of -77.5 dBm. That will effectively knock out any attempts at even moderate signal DX.

Our receivers commonly have sensitivities down around 1-2 uV. We are trying to listen for a mouse fart in a room full of elephants.

Ms. Tisha Hayes, AA4HA
Lookout Mountain, Alabama
N7ROX

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2013, 07:51:31 PM »

My 50" Panasonic plasma TV (TH-50PX600U) absolutely shreds the HF bands.  After many nights of trying to eliminate the noise I stumbled on to a solution - buy a 60" Samsung LED TV for the family room and retire the Panasonic to the bedroom.

Problem solved.

Sometimes you've got to think outside the box.   Wink
KH6DC

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2014, 08:56:20 PM »

My now 7 year old Panasonic Viera Plasma still makes noise but so does my Maytag Bravo (agitator-less washer).  I use either my hexbeam or Wellbrook ALS-1530 receiving loop which helps.

73 and Aloha,
de Delwyn, KH6DC
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: