The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2 meter yagi and arrow antenna model 146/437-10 on same horizontal boom..  (Read 431 times)
K6REA

Ignore
« on: December 16, 2017, 03:12:48 PM »

I guess this is a double post.. i posted this over on the antenna board, but not much response..
so i thought i would also put it here...

I'm going to mount a 5-element 2 Meter yagi which will be horizontal and an arrow antenna model  146/437-10 , on the same boom.
How far apart horizontally should I space these two. I'm putting them on the same boom because I only have one Rotator system.
The 2 meter yagi will be used for sideband horizontally and the arrow antenna for satellites.

Thanks,
Kevin Rea
Lancaster, Ca
K6REA
VE3WGO

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2017, 06:43:52 PM »

Hi Kevin, how about this idea...   mount the Arrow so that the 2 meter elements are vertical, then you can also use the horizontal 2 meter yagi for SSB, and the vertical 2 meter Arrow for FM. 

You could use both for satellites, and switch between them, depending on which one has a better 2 meter link (depending on the satellite polarization at that particular instant).  If you mount them this way, they can be very close and the interactions between them will be very small, compared to mounting both of the 2 meter antennas in the same plane, in which case they probably need to be a wavelength or more apart to avoid unpredictable interactions.  Also this way, there would be only very minor interactions between the 2 meter yagi and the 70 cm part of the Arrow.

As a more complex touch and better for satellites, you could wire the yagi and the 2 meter Arrow as a circular polarized pair, for the ultimate 2 meter satellite link.  But it would have 3 dB less gain for SSB or FM use, since half of the power would be going to the polarization that is not need for that particular mode.

73, Ed VE3WGO
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: