Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HT - Antenna Combinations  (Read 3249 times)
KC8PTB

Ignore
« on: July 19, 2001, 10:15:31 AM »

What HT and antenna combinations do folks use when working AO-27 or similar FM repeater satellites?

I am about to buy a new HT and want this capability.  Is anyone using an ICOM W-32 or a Kenwood G71A?

Jim

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2001, 11:50:59 PM »

Hi,

Many articles in QST about working the sats via ht
and a dual band antenna.  see www.arrl.org for search.

Others use seperate beams or yagi.
Arrow makes a dual band portable beam the you can
hold in your hand to work them.

Check out the latest QST, w4rnl has great article
using turnstile antenna (two moxon antenna on their
sides coupled with phasing lines) real neat
and low low cost !

73 clay
KD5MMJ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2001, 10:13:23 AM »

Hey Jim.  I got a Kenwood TH-G71A to use for repeaters and the FM birds. The kenwood is fantastic.  Check out the reviews here on eham.  one of the few rigs with a perfect 5.0.  

I use the Arrow Satellite antenna with it and A0-27 comes loud and clear in this combination.  I havent tried it out on UO-14 but my results should be the same.

both are a bit pricey but both are good quality and the work great so it is worth it.
KB9WQJ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2001, 09:15:27 AM »

How do you get it to transmit on one band and receive on another?  My G71 will not do this.  Are you manually switching between two different memories or something when you switch from listen to talk?
Thanks.
KC8PTB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2001, 09:54:17 AM »

This is why I started this discussion.  I want to find out what people actually use before I buy.  I sent e-mail to ICOM and Kenwood.  Kenwood steered me to the TH D7A model which cost much more $$$.  

ICOM told me the W-32 would work, but warned me that a high gain antenna might overload the front end.  Is anyone having success working AO-27 with the ICOM W32??

I have also considered using a Mobile rig like the Alinco 605.  

I am patient and want to see some more input on this topic.  I found lots of web sites talking about the antenna they use, but not much about the radio.

Jim

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2001, 10:30:25 PM »

Hi,

check out QST jan 1998 issue page 61-64

article on 2m phased antenna for use with
you ht.

The author uses a Yaesu if I remember.

Some ht's do not receive below 438 mhz
so you may not be able to hear the downlink.

WB8ERJ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2001, 11:19:17 AM »

I have been using an arrow antenna with two ht's for a couple of years on AO-27.
It works great. I recommend the "split boom" option. This version will break down into
about 24 in. long and about 2 in. in diameter. Great for travel, even backpacking.

As far as using the Icom W32 for satellite communications, it like any HT will work.
All you need to do is be able to receive on 70 cm and transmit on 2 meters. If you
are going to use a dual band radio with the arrow antenna, get the duplexer option,
you will need it. Honestly I am surprised that Icom said using a gain antenna might
overload the front end since the sat. signals are rather low level. MUCH weaker than
most repeaters...

If interested, on my web page is a photo of my portable satellite station, and me
working the AO-27 satellite on the shores of lake Erie...

http://www.qsl.net/wb8erj

-- Mike  WB8ERJ
KC8PTB

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2001, 09:28:57 AM »

Mike,

Thanks - I saw your web page a while back.  Part of what made me want to do sat work.  Which HT do you use?

Jim
WB8ERJ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2001, 02:14:40 PM »

Jim,

Thanks for checking out my site. As far as what I use, I have two Standard C-168 (2 meter) HT's and several ADI HT's. IT really doesn't matter which brand of HT you use, just as long as you can transmit on 2 meters, and receive on 70 cm. That is the key. Another important thing too is to run your receiver un-squelched. The Sat. signal is very weak, even with a yagi.

I got back from vacation last week from VA. beach, and Assateague Island MD. Yes I took my satellite equipment with me and had a blast. It just happened that I was in a couple of rare grid squares, and lots of people wanted to work me! Its fun being rare DX! I even had a couple people work me on Assateague for IOTA credit...what fun!!

Hope to work you on the sats one day...

-- MIke
KD5MAW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2001, 03:13:47 PM »

I would think twice about using the W32A for this application. I used mine into a roof-mounted unity gain folded monopole for a while before getting a real radio - intermod from local pager systems, NOAA weather radio, police radios, etc. just blew this sucker out of the water. I've heard the G71A is not as bad in the intermod department but I expect just about any HT will be problematic for the use you are considering. My G71A is a fine radio for it's intended purpose, but I would not consider latching it up to a high gain antenna.
KB2SMS

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2001, 08:00:57 PM »

"This is why I started this discussion. I want to find out what people actually use before I buy. I sent e-mail to ICOM and Kenwood. Kenwood steered me to the TH D7A model which cost much more $$$.

ICOM told me the W-32 would work, but warned me that a high gain antenna might overload the front end. Is anyone having success working AO-27 with the ICOM W32?? "

I have worked AO-27 and UO-14 with my W32A and a Diamond dualband telescoping whip. It's NOT easy but  I've done it several times. I have to get that Arrow handheld beam, that will make it much easier. It's a LOT of fun but you HAVE to be persistent because they are VERY popular sats and it's hard at times to sneak in between other hams. Not sure about the front end overload as I haven't got the Arrow yet but I believe others have used it with the W32 with no problems. I paid $300 for my W32A about 2-3 years ago just to try to work those sats. Great HT. 73 de Tom - KB2SMS
KB1GEO

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2002, 12:20:35 PM »

am new to working sats, using yaesu ft 817 and arrow
antenna for sats. most hts are fm only and you miss the
ssb sats. i like the moble/portable set up, i use it in motorhome at camp sites, in the 18 whl rig at work, and at home in driveway.
the next step is tracking software and a lap top for travels.  buy a all mode, am/fm/ssb/digital radio from the start. you won,t be disappointed. then all you will need to do is bigger, better,, moving anttenas

have fun mike kb1geo
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: