Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LDG and UPS -- A tale of crossed wires  (Read 434 times)
N4KZ

Ignore
« on: August 31, 2004, 02:44:24 PM »

This incident occurred two years ago and involved my attempt to purchase an RT-11 remote tuner from LDG Electronics. Before the situation was resolved, I'd had a bad experience with the company and UPS. Fortunately, it was finally resolved to my satisfaction but not before I had to purchase a second tuner -- which I then received credit for when the original tuner showed up 2 weeks after the order was placed.

Here were the highlights:

1. When placing the order, I explained to LDG I needed the shipment sent to my office. My home (I've since moved) was in a rural area and delivery truck drivers had a hard time finding my residence.

2. Despite the instructions to ship to my office, LDG still shipped to my home. As I would later learn, the UPS driver couldn't find my house and left the package behind the shed at some other residence. UPS then told LDG when it inquired about my order that it had been delivered. (But  not to the correct home.)

3. This led LDG to mistakenly assume that I was lying about not receiving the shipment. At first, LDG ignored my e-mails and then when I persisted on a resolution since they had my money and I had nothing, a company rep called me at work and was very hostile and accused me of sending them harrassing e-mails. I never used foul language or threatening language in my e-mails but I did insist the matter be resolved.

4. Finally, I was able to persuade the LDG rep that I was telling the truth. He explained that they frequently encountered dishonest individuals who receive shipments but claim they didn't and demand another piece of merchandise. I have no experience with such but if it's true, shame, shame on some members of our fraternity.

5. I was going on a business trip in a few days and LDG offered to ship me another tuner to my business destination which they did and I received fine. But I had to buy the second tuner with their promise to reimburse me for the original one when it turned up.

6. Meanwhile, I began calling UPS and finally spoke with the supervisor of my driver. He claimed the driver said he'd left it behind my shed. I assured him I had searched my yard and property repeatedly and there was no package there and never had been.

7. Two weeks after the original order, the first tuner showed up on my front porch at home without explanation of where it had been for all that time. I suspect the driver remembered where he'd left it and went back and picked it up and delivered it to the correct house this time.

8. During much of the ordeal, LDG and UPS pointed fingers at one another furiously. In fact, they were both right. Each had messed up big time. If LDG had shipped to the correct address -- my office -- in the first place, none of this would have happened. UPS blew it by delivering to the wrong residence -- as I feared they would -- and refusing to admit it.

9. I returned the orignal tuner to the company and promptedly received credit for it. I like the tuner and was happy with the ultimate resolution. But in my 35 years on the ham bands and purchasing equipment from numerous vendors, I'd never once had one of them call me on the phone and accuse me of being a liar and a dishonest cheat who sent harrassing e-mails. None of that was true and it left me with a real bad memory of  a situation that never should have occurred if only they had followed some real simple instructions about where to ship the original tuner.  
K5XS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2004, 10:54:59 AM »

N4KZ,
  Sorry to hear of your situation, but glad it was resolved.
  What was in your e-mails that would lead LDG to regard them as "harrassing"?  Can you share them with us?
Bernie K5XS
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2004, 04:37:59 PM »

I've had similar experiences with UPS.  In my area, their drivers are really hard pressed to deliver packages.  I've had drivers come to my door many times, ring my bell, and as I answered the door I saw the truck driving away (I would say within 30-45 seconds), and I've had a 'delivery attempt notice' stuck to the door.

It got so bad that I refuse to use UPS and will only ship by USPS now.  At least the packages get to the right address and you have a chance to get them from the driver when the doorbell is rung.
K8LEA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2005, 12:13:17 PM »

Interesting story!

I needed a battery for my computer's UPS, and ordered it off of RS' web site, paying extra for "2 day" delivery.

Shipping notice showed up with a good date.

The "date" arrived, nothing.

The shipper's web site (I'm not going to say who) showed "delivered" on the proper date....

I e-mailed RS and the shipper, and got RS to send another one.  By then, a week had gone by.

Before they could ship the replacement, a neighbor showed up at my front door with the original battery.  She and I share the same "house number", but on different but similarly named streets.  She'd been out of town for a week and had just found the package on her front stoop....

(RS credited me for the extra shipping costs.)

That's not the best one....

A couple years ago I ordered two of those batteries (lotsa UPS's here).  The package showed up more or less on time.  When I opened it, I was shocked to find charred paper materials and the batteries packed facing each other (terminal-to-terminal) without any separation.  The terminals on both batteries were toasted beyond use.

What bothers me about that is the package was effectively a time bomb.  It'd been sitting in my garage for a couple hours before I noticed it (they usually put packages on the front stoop, but when the garage door is open, anything can happen), and then sat on the (carpeted) staircase inside until I had a chance to get it upstairs to my office....

I got some free replacements.  Probably should have sued somebody, but....

(RS has taken that to heart, I guess - the last couple batteries, including the one at the top of this message, have come through with good protective covers on the battery terminals.)

Stu K8LEA
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: