Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RADIO SHACK sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 7516 times)
KF4MKJ

Ignore
« on: September 03, 2003, 09:17:10 PM »

I guess I may as well put in my $.02 worth here also.  I am known by name at a total of four Radio Shacks, some where I work and some where I live.  Here while back one of the employees who has known me for several years now, actually looked at the back of the card.  He asked me to sign the back as the company is getting strict on that.  I thought about it a second and decided that it was probably a good thing.  Someone else could get my card, good luck no credit left, sign it and go to a store where I ain't known, good luck again, and I'll be that would be my signature on the back.  

Blank stares and trying to sell me something else.  Okay so they get a new kid that hasn't learned much yet, that gives us an opportunity to teach them a little something.  Face it they are in an electronics store, they need to learn things, here is a potential new ham.  Be nice to the kid.  Explain things to him/her, just don't overload them at one time.  Ever heard of elmering.  

The only times that a Radio Shack employee has tried to sell me something extra is when it might be an accessory that I may not have thought of needing.  Usefull stuff sometimes, sometimes it might be something I allready have.  I usually appreciate the help even if it is for something that I didn't need.

Okay so there are jerks in every business.  We had a manager at one of our local stores that was a jerk but he wasn't there long before he was gone. I suppose a few customer complaints takes care of things.  Especially one or two from some of the more loyal customers.  Mistreat my wife you misstreated me jerk,  HEY HOME OFFICE, CHECK MY PURCHASE RECORD, DO YOU REALLY WANT TO LOSE ME AS A CUSTOMER?  Funny how fast this type moves on.
W5USB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2003, 04:41:37 PM »

I have been patronizing the same store (Austin,TX) for 4 years, and have purchased multiple hundreds of dollars of merchandise there. They see me so often buying electronic components for kits and such that they actually asked me personally if I worked for an electronics firm (which I don't).

I have used the same credit card there for about 3 years, never with any problem, until today.

I was interested in the Grundig shortwave reciever they have on sale. The usually helpful manager was actually reluctant to sell it to me. He walked away from the counter cautiously to say the least, and even poked his head out from behind the storeroom door to see what I was up to. Then for the credit card. I NEVER sign my cards because I wish that a potential future theif not have my exact signature, for my protection. I haven't a leg to stand on otherwise (hmmm, Mr. Granda this sure looks like YOUR signature!!!).

NOTE: I don't care what the issuing bank says, if you want to make the sale like you have two dozen times in the last 6 months, then slide the card and give me the slip to sign. Otherwise A-hole, I will go to a better retailer.

After presenting me with the slip to sign, he asked me for a picture ID....I grumbled but then realized this was for my protection also so I showed him my DL. No problem...now can I go?  Uh uh, not until the manager insists that the unsigned card is actually INVALID until signed, which the back of the card plainly states. Like I said before, you want the sale? The last twenty transactions were honored without question, but not the SW reciever. Whats up? Well, I'll tell ya.

Radio Shack (still a division of Tandy Inc.) are no longer an AMERICAN company, they are a GLOBAL company. This means they will continue to offer free cellphones and cheapo rateplans to people who couldn't produce a green card if you paid them...no questions asked. But sell a SHORTWAVE radio to an American citizen, and it's twenty questions.

The hell with you Radio Shack, you GLOBALIST scum of the Earth. Selling your cheapazz goods made with slave labor to your new lovey dovey little illegal buddies. I hope your decision to sell out your RADIO products forces you into bankruptcy. You undoubtedly deserve it.

Art Granda
UNMONITOR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2003, 01:58:16 PM »

We here at the United Nations Monitor Directive have noted your disapproval. In order to keep you in order we have commenced installation of the tracking/monitoring program. We WILL make you subvert. And don't think for a moment that we don't have technology to get around the tin foil hat.

Sincerely,

Ata Dafouk Barosh
KG4PZZ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2003, 10:19:14 PM »

Put "See ID" on the card.  Technically, that could be your signature, and it alerts a cashier to check your ID regardless.  Works well enough for myself, my parents, and family friends.

Fred
KG4PZZ
KE4RWS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2003, 05:14:34 AM »

I too have seen "See ID" in place of a signature, and it does work. As far as Radio Shack is concerned, I limit what I buy from them to small insignificant items I can't get anywhere else. I would never purchase anything above a few dollars from them. I've also had some really strange problems with them. Most of the time it's due to poorly trained sales staff, or lack of inventory (which they say they have on hand when you call them on the phone BEFORE making the trip down to the store).

In the end it's no wonder they're exiting the radio end of the business. They simply cannot compete with HRO, Gigaparts, AES and the like. The Shack loses every time they go up against those guys. If the shack wasn't so intent on getting full retail for all their amateur radio gear they'd have a lucrative business with it. But that's a problem with the corporation rather than at the store level. In either case, they've got problems!!
K3WVU

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2003, 05:16:38 PM »

Actually, Radio Shack makes a point during their hiring sessions to brag that the "higher margins" on the merchandise they sell enables them to pay their employees larger commissions.  That's a good thing for anyone who works for them, since their base pay is laughable.  For the customer, it stinks, because a system like that produces personnel with little knowledge of the products who are intent on selling, selling, selling.   If you run into a knowledgeable salesperson at Radio Shack, chances are that person is a Ham.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2003, 10:55:26 AM »

Since Rat Shack has begun their present programs, they've turned into "Grundig Shack", "Verizon Shack, "RCA Shack" and so on.  Even the parts selection is getting smaller and smaller.  Its true they can't compete with HRO and the like, but their explanation for high prices is bull, too.  The managers makes those fancy commissions, but not the part timers.

Face it people, Radio Shack has gone the way of Lafayette and other like shops.  The sad part is they're still trying to keep going.
N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2003, 09:50:52 PM »

The 'See ID' bit is cute, but if you don't sign the card, the merchant is under NO obligation to accept it.

Every credit card issuing company puts a disclaimer on the back of their cards that say something to the effect 'not valid unless signed'.

If you complain to the card issuer, they will back up the merchant EVERY time.

Lon
KE4RWS

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2003, 04:09:20 AM »

**** The 'See ID' bit is cute, but if you don't sign the card, the merchant is under NO obligation to accept it ****

The above statement is true, however, the customer can and will simply go somewhere else where they DO accept "See ID" as a valid way to verify ID without having to sign the credit card.

In the end it's the STORE that loses out, not the customer. There's too many stores that will do business the "See ID" way to mess around with the one's that don't. And in the case of Radio Shack where their entire profit is driven by cellular & satellite sales, just watch their face turn into a huge frown when you cancel the sale on the phone's, computers, satellite systems or whatever, and tell them to forget it and put your "See ID" credit card back in your wallet, and walk the hell out!!

Oh, and by the way, Radio Shack still sucks . . .
KG4VGH

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2003, 09:20:19 PM »

They have also picked up the very irritating and nasty habit of asking for a Social Security number when I write a check.....Usually takes the manager to "Approve" it..without obtaining the ##....even with a drivers license and Passport....
KG4YJR

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2003, 10:02:42 AM »

What pisses me off the most about Radio Sh*t is you can't walk in there to buy anything without them wanting to shove a cell phone contract or satellite dish subscription in your face. If that's what I asked for help with fine, but not if I went in there for something else. They won't shut up about it either even after you say you're not interested.

Dave
OBSERVER9

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2003, 12:32:21 AM »

yes, radio shack sucks!... but you gave the manager all the ammo he needed NOT to sell you the receiver. He is under no obligation to accept a credit card that is not signed.

Think about it, if you lost that card, the finder can sign it and for the next couple days/weeks, he can be using your card, and the signature will be a match... and I bet that you will be on the hook for at least $50.00.

Back when radio shack asked everyones name and address... they were building a mailing list/spam list, what ever... made more money selling names than they did selling small parts, I bet... I used to give the name R. E. Fused. This was usually enough, and the sales kid quit before I made a real fool out of him.
N3HKN

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2003, 08:06:31 AM »

Don't be a fool. Social Security number ID is a dangerous scam. I would NEVER give some clerk that number. He probably has a friend waiting for the latest list. Sounds VER bogus to me. Perhaps a call to Headquarters of Tandy might determine if this is a local scam.

If this is a Tandy requirement - DO NOT do business with them. They now have enough of your ID to know almost everything about you!! Don't be a FOOL !

Dick  N3HKN
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2003, 10:20:41 PM »

Hi,

Stopped by the shack for a 4pin mic connector, got it fast and easy, no problems, no q & a and no attempt
to sell me a cell phone or digital camera !

They did say they have fresh batteries since we have
had some severe weather in the area.

Funny thing while I was waiting in line, the two salesmen were helping different customers with their cell phone bills, looks like they were past due and they racked up late charges !

The other salesman asked the lady for her social security number to access her account !  She was making a payment (late and roam charges $$$)

It was easy for me to hear her personal number even from ten feet away !  Don't worry I am  honest !

Some people do not know anything about id fraud and how much it costs people in money and time to fix what was once a A #1 credit profile.

james
N2MDB

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2003, 01:50:00 AM »

The whole not signing your CC is kind of pointless. If someone steals your card, then all they have to do is sign it themselves, and their signature on the slip will match the card!
That is why the card is not valid until it's signed. The signature is there to prove that the card holder is really the cardholder! (within reason, of course).

Basically it is a way to match the card to the person using the card.

Using "See ID" is only valid if we assume the thief is not using a false ID with your name on it (and their picture, since if the clerk needs to verify your identity, then they don't know what you look like).

Anyway, even if someone got ahold of your CC and therefor your signature, most likely they would not be able to make a good replication of it anyway. A forensic handwriting expert could probably determine it was not you who signed the document in question.

As for asking for a Social Security numebr when writing a check. Do they then write that number on the check itself? If so, I believe that is illegal. Well at least here in NY I believe it is. Not sure if that's a Federal Law or not.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: