Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Avoid R & L Electronics! They sell opened box  (Read 1134 times)
KG4YJR

Ignore
« on: June 11, 2003, 06:53:26 PM »

After being sent a radio that was either used, a demo or display model after saying that I was not interested in that type of radio (was told it was the last one they had, that's what made me ask) R & L said "screw him" and sent it anyway. It was totally obvious that the item was re-packed and the person on the phone did not deny it either. He told me it was my tough luck unless I wanted to ship it back at my cost. I posted complaints here on the eHam forums and on the QTH.com forums. Here are several posts directed at R & L from the QTH forums:

--

As a resident from Ohio and a current long time shopper at R&L, I can say I wouldn't put it past them. They won't sell broken / damaged items, but they do try to make their money back on demos / returned items as they are a small store and it is hard for them to recoop the cost for this type of merchandice.

If I was in your situation I would call them and explain that the item is used and refund me $$$ at a demo price. If they won't do that...simply ship it back to them for a complete refund. Their loss in the long run!

--

From KB5PN:

I personally will never spend another dime with R&L. Not only wil they shaft you on demo equipment, they also will sell broken/defective equipment and lie about it's condition. A few years back I bought a used frequency display for a Yaesu FT101 and the female salesperson assured me that it looked very good and had been checked over by their technican and was in proper working order. When I received the display it appeared that it had been dragged down a rough road behind a truck and it was obvious that it couldn't possibly have been checked and be in working condition as the connecting cable had the connecting plug cut off it.
When I called them I was informed that the salesperson I had talked to no longer worked there and they couldn't be responsible for what she may or may not have told me, therefore no return/no refund.
Fortunately my credit card company saw things in a different light and the display unit was returned w/shipping cod but never again will I consider buying anything from them.

KB5PN
AD6WL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2003, 08:38:45 PM »

I have delt with RandL.com and have found them to usually have the best price on gear.  I have ordered new gear from them and it was always new when I received it. I have also ordered used gear from them at a substatial savings and have been very satisfied with the gear and the service from them.  

I don't know of any ham radio retailers who are going to pay for shipping back to them if you are disatisfied with the purchase.
N3OO

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2003, 06:59:09 PM »

NEVER NEVER EVER AGAIN........NUFF SED ?
BUCK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2003, 12:40:13 PM »

I agree that under normal situations, a company should not be required to pay for return shipping.

But if a company delivers the wrong item or blatently lies about an item or its condition, then why should the buyer be stuck with any expense?

When I buy products by mail, I try to make sure that what I order is what I get.  I pay by credit card and if I don't get what I ordered, I try to make ammends with the seller.  If that doesn't work, I reverse the charges and require them to send UPS to pick it up.  

I am not without mercy. IF it is an honest mistake or the seller really wants to rectify the situation, I will ask for something of reasonable value to the shipping cost to be added or a gift certificate or discount on my next order.  

As for R&L they sound like they will be glad to accept the item back with no stocking fee.  Try asking them for a gift certificate towards future purchases for the amount of shipping.  It would be in their best interest to comply as they will get another sale and another chance to keep you as a customer.  

Unfortunately life is full of human beings and all human beings make mistakes!

Just think of all the things that wouldn't go wrong if life just didn't have humans messing it up for you!  

Buck
WD8PTB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2003, 08:02:18 AM »

I have purchased both new and used equipment from R&L. I returned an MFJ unit that did not do what I wanted, No Problem. I recieved a used Kenwood 120s that was in better condition than they had described but had a broken mike, They sent me a new mike, There cable prices are excelent. I will continue to by from them. Don WD8PTB
VK4NEF

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2004, 02:48:37 AM »

I have been dealing with R&L over the last 6 months and am more that satisified with the service and quick replies to emails I've sent them.

Eric VK4NEF
KM9E

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2004, 07:36:15 PM »

I have dealt with Roger at R & L for over fifteen years with nothing but outstanding service.  There has never been so much as a small problem in dealing with this fine company.  

They have bent over backwards to help me as an amateur, a business, and a repeater trustee.  Roger went so far as to take back four unopened high dollar antennas that I had purchased from him after more than a full year.  Fellows, customer service does not get any better than this!

I would suggest that before you quit buying from this fine dealer, remember that you have only heard ONE side of the story.  I, for one, will continue to support this FINE company personally & continue to recommend them as the BEST amateur radio outlets in the country.

Richard Viehe, KM9E
Indpls, IN
N2NFG

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2004, 08:14:12 PM »

When I first got back into ham radio around 1989, I bought a lot of stuff from R&L. A brand new high end radio, several hundred feet of coax, 3/16 EHS guy wire, you name it, I bought it from R&L and they always had the best price, or so close that it did not make a difference. That all changed when I wanted to buy a Timewave DSP59+. Not only was their price higher than most other dealers, they would not even consider coming down in price at all. In fact, they were rather rude about it. That was over ten years ago and I haven't even considered buying from R&L since then, no matter what their price is.  
YEPSURE

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2004, 06:50:56 AM »

The original poster indicated he specifically asked if the radio in question was new or a demo, and was apparently told it was in fact new. When received it was "obvious" as he put it that it was a demo. And when he called to find out why he was told it was not a demo when in fact it was, he was told "tough luck".

If this is the case I too would have a serious problem with what happened, and would never buy from them again. Radio Shack was notorious for doing stuff like this. Although Radio Shack hardly sells the same caliber equipment as amateur radio vendors, the point I'm making is that it's wrong for these people to lie to you about the condition or status of a piece of equipment in order to make it more appealing for purchase, and then "stick" the customer with the burden of cost for returning the item in order to get what they were supposed to get to begin with. Doesn't matter if the company in question is a small establishment just trying to make ends meet with their sales. Lying to people about the condition of a radio (or anything for that matter) is not the way to do business and is just plain WRONG.

If this happened to me I wouldn't deal with them ever again either. In fact, I've never dealt with them as it is but based on the few experiences people have had I doubt I'll do business with them. But that's just me.
KB4IUJ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2004, 04:24:20 PM »

All he seems to do is complain !!!

http://www.eham.net/forums/Satellites/730?ehamsid=6bce4daf927cdaf4f45e7f0df581fb9a
WA4CQ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2005, 11:10:24 PM »

I bought a new ts480sat from R&L a few days before
Christmas that I keep two and a half days and tried
everything to get the transmit audio to sound good with
no luck at all. After calling R&L several times I shipped the radio back with instructions on how to A-B
this radio with any other radio to compair the audio to,so they could get a real idea as to how bad the audio really was.  After a few days of no responce, I called and they said there was nothing wrong with the radio. I asked if they compaired it to any other radio and they said no they didn't. I said well you didn't really check it then did you. Then they said that I was the only person that had ever complained about this
rig---which I knew was a lie because another friend
that had one had already called them too for the same concern. They then said that it was going to cost me $150 to return it. After a call to Kenwood--and Kenwood
calling them telling them to refund all my money--they
now say that they have'nt received the check so they can't send my money till they get it.. What next with these people?Huh?? I will never -never - never buy
A-N-Y-T-H-I-N-Y  from these yoyo's again.

Be carful--Jerry WA4CQ        
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: