The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: No contact with SO-50  (Read 1938 times)
KC0ERG

Ignore
« on: June 26, 2004, 09:42:16 PM »

Hi there,

Can anyone help me out? I tried my first SO-50 contact last night and never heard the bird. I printed the track out from Heavens-Above.com and used my new Arrow II with my FT-530 for the 2:18am pass for Las Vegas, Nevada.

I never heard anything at all. My High Power Rocketry days taught me about how to swing a yagi, so I'm pretty sure I covered most of the sky. The frequencies in the radio are setup just like in the Easy Sat guide. I could hear the 447.000 machine on Mt. Potosi some 30 miles away extremely well with the antenna pointed at the ground.

I didn't have a compass and couldn't see the stars from in the city, but I know my directions well so I think I should've heard something since the bird would probably be activated for the upcoming Field Day.

Any pointers? Is there anything glaring that I missed?

Thanks,
Jason
KO4MA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2004, 02:32:06 AM »

SO-50 is a little different from other fm satellites in that it does not transmit unless it hears a signal. Try a few passes during the day before you give up...it may simply have been no one was on!!!

73, Drew KO4MA
KC0ERG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2004, 04:43:03 AM »

Thanks for the tip. I did try to transmit, but may not have been pointed towards it at the time.

Unfortunately, all of its passes for Las Vegas are from midnight to 3 am right now (or I'm doing something wrong at Heavens-above.com).
AD6WL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2004, 04:34:45 PM »

You have to use a 67hz PL to get into this sat.  Also, the sat puts our very low power, something like 100mW, so you need a good antenna to hear it.

73, Jim
AD6WL
KC0ERG

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2004, 09:50:14 PM »

I didn't mention in the original post that I had the PL programmed, so that wasn't it. I was using my Arrow II satellite antenna with the duplexer. If that isn't good enough to hear the sats, then I'm putting it back on eBay.
KG4YJR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2004, 08:28:33 PM »

You must first activate the satellite with a CTCSS tone of 74.4 Hz which turns on the 10 min. transmitter timer, then you transmit with a CTCSS tone of 67.0 Hz. Both on the same uplink frequency of 145.850 MHz. See the article at:
http://www.eham.net/articles/8585
Also, Echo launched today and should be a very easy FM satellite to work although like most, it will be crowded when it's available for public use in about 10 days.
I wouldn't trade or sell my Arrow II for nothing. I've made numerous contacts when UO-14 was active with an HT @ 5 watts.

Dave
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2004, 09:43:54 AM »

Dittos on keeping the Arrow antenna, it was how I made my first contact on UO-14 as well.  If Echo is anything like what they claim it will be power and sensitivity-wise, an Arrow and an HT should be all you will need.  Patience...

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: